General Discussion
 RCMP researches slaughter of Inuit dogs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lisark_aussies

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  5:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit lisark_aussies's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Very information webpage here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ccaps/sled_dogs_final_e.htm

Lisa Giroux
AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
http://www.k9station.com

eaglesleddogs

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  6:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit eaglesleddogs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The Inuit sled dog is a large and aggressive animal that can pose a danger to public safety, particularly when diseased or starving. The Inuit sled dog populations were seriously impacted by epidemics and socio-economic factors during the period of time in question."

very interesting that this was the first statement under Findings - Inuit Sled Dogs - this is what the research showed???? Bull****

Part of the Conclusion:

"There is clearly a collective mourning for the loss of the traditional Inuit way of life that was independent and worthy of great respect. The demise of the Inuit sled dog has come, for many, to symbolize the cultural loss of identity and dignity."

The Inuit People's struggle and the dogs that suffered are not forgotten. This goes beyond the dogs.

Mitkuyase Oyasin
- we are all connected

Christina Dawn Eagle
Eagle Sled Dogs Pointer/Greyster Crosses
Go to Top of Page

lisark_aussies

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  6:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit lisark_aussies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rewriting history, is how it sounds. What a shame.

Lisa G

Lisa Giroux
AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
http://www.k9station.com
Go to Top of Page

swanny

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  09:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit swanny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm. Asking the RCMP to review the slaughter of Inuit dogs is sort of like asking the Bureau of Indian Affairs to investigate the alleged sytematic decimation of bison and NDN ponies on the Great Plains.

On the other hand, my cynicism is based on my experiences in the United States. Maybe some our Canadian members can tell us if the RCMP has a better track record of internal investigations than do American agencies?

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. William Francis Butler

http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Go to Top of Page

rwelshm

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  12:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI There,

There was an interesting article in Canadian Geographic quite a few years about re-introducing the Canadian Inuit Dog back into the Canadian Artic, at the time they were still called Canadian Eskimo Dog. The dogs were brought back from Antarctica where a fairly large population was still in use. I cant remember the year/issue but I do still have it here somewhere. It was considered a big event and there was much celebration as a result.

There was also a TV show as well on the same subject. The article did cover the killing of the dogs and had interviews with some elderly Inuit who remembered the events.

If I find the issue I will repost with the time etc.

Cheers

Ray
Go to Top of Page

rwelshm

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  12:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to the TV Show - Dogs of The Midnight Sun

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/tv/videos/video_description.asp?showNumber=23003

Cheers

Ray
Go to Top of Page

eaglesleddogs

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit eaglesleddogs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you Swanny. Same thing happened here in the U.S. with Wounded Knee I and II, numerous false treaties, and on and on. This is a touchy subject.

Back to the topic. The Canadian gov is not the agency that can bring justice. They commited the crimes.

One of the things that I've come to understand about myself is that to live without dogs would be like living without my heart. Can you imagine what it would feel like to come home and find all your dogs slaughtered? Gunned down? Their dogs were special. Man this is getting me fired up. Injustice sucks. Sometimes it seems like nothings changed. It's a bummer. People wonder why we don't trust the government. If it doesn't suit their needs it didn't happen or isn't true. Forgive me but I'm just going on 300 years of history on this continent.

Christina Dawn Eagle
Eagle Sled Dogs Pointer/Greyster Crosses
Go to Top of Page

dog musher

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit dog musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Swanny has the right of it.
I have no comments as to wheather it is true or false, but asking the RCMP to investigate something that the RCMP may or may not have done is not going to get anyone anywhere. If the RCMP is like 99% of organizations out there, they are going to do what ever it takes to put them selves in a good light.

Lacey
Go to Top of Page

shore

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  06:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Canadian government has actually been taking responsibility for some of their mistreatments of native people in the past, including the forced relocation of Inuit, native schools, and so on. That's not to say that there's still not a lot of crap going on or that they've done a very good job making things right, but credit where credit is due for admitting when they've done wrong in some cases. Compare the way the US and Canada have responded to the Maher Arar situation, more recently. I don't think it's fair to predict how Canada will deal with this based on how the US has dealt with its own stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  07:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a Canadian and personally I don't think that the RCMP should be investigating it's self. Nothing will come this issue and they will be found innocent of all charges I'm sure. The Rcmp has been in the media in Canada alot lately for wrong doings that they have got away with for years. They are just another boys club loaded with corruption and too much power that can mandate what they want when they want. Our governments, including the USA's is ran by people in very high places, Bankers, Oil Barons, etc. They can manipulate events to help their cause and make more money for them selves as well as control us, the tax payer. Don't be neive thinking this is not happening, this is a big chess board and we are the pawns. Do you think that the FBI and other organizations didn't have a clue about 9/11. Let it happen and they control the price of oil by starting a war. Just watch, by spring time they'll be in Iran, George hasn't got much more time left to make his mark. Any way that is my cheery point for the day and NO the RCMP should not investigate themselves. My 2 cents.

Razor

Razor
Go to Top of Page

mooselook

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  3:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I pulled out my soapbox, sat down at the keyboard, and spilled out my take on the old adage "Power corrupts". Yup, typed it, read it, edited it...and deleted it. Just more of the Same Old Same Old, and we've all got better things to do with the evening.

But, coincident to this thread, I recently finished reading The Long Exile by Melanie McGrath, about the Canadian government's "relocation" of Inuit families from Hudson Bay to the high arctic in the 1950s. If you haven't read it, I recommend it highly.

Cathleen

"There are some simple truths...and the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page