General Discussion
 Cable tuglines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rucadogkennel

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  3:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit rucadogkennel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone use or have thoughts about cable tuglines? Would they cause any undue stress to the dogs bodies or have any other negative aspects?

www.rucadogkennel.com

smushybanana

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  3:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit smushybanana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, I don't like them, because, yes, they do cause stress to the dogs. A cable doesn't have the minor stretch and shock-absorbing properties of a polyline/other rope, so more of that stress of any jerking gets put on the dog. Also it is unsafe because you can't cut through it in an emergency. The only case I would use cable tugs with my team was a double leader tug, when running an incorrigible line-biter behind. Just with this one dog, everything in reach had to be cable. I got a cable double-leader tug after he cut them loose a couple of times . I used to use some cable necklines though, and I swear by cable ganglines. I just don't see a good reason to use cable for tugs.

Hilary Schwafel
Go to Top of Page

mushpuppy

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mushpuppy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would never use one. I have had too many tangles where a tugline gets wrapped around a leg and that hurts the dog enough as it is, I cant imagine a CABLE tugline! Although I guess a poly-coverd cable might be a better option if for some reason you had to use one.

Snow Angel Racing
Houghton, Upper MI
http://www.snowangelracing.com
Go to Top of Page

North Point Kennels

32 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  2:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a poly tugline is wearing down you can see and repair/replace it. If a cable line is covered in poly you can not see the wear. They will break and you don't know it untill it is too late.
Go to Top of Page

mushpuppy

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  09:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mushpuppy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If a tugline were to wear out, it would only be on one of the ends. The ends wouldn't be covered in poly, so yes, you would be able to see it...right?

Snow Angel Racing
Houghton, Upper MI
http://www.snowangelracing.com
Go to Top of Page

North Point Kennels

32 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mushpuppy, sorry...I was refering to cable-filled poly
Go to Top of Page

huskyhauler

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  06:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit huskyhauler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On two different occasions last winter I saw cable GANGLINES that broke under the poly coating. Both from different manufacturers. The cable appeared to have been kinked and wore out were it couldn't be seen until after it snapped. Both times part of the team of dogs took off and had to be chased down. One resulted in a seriously injured dog. I would think a cable tug wouldn't have any "give" and possibly lead to back injuries more readily than standard poly tugs that actually stretch and contract somewhat with the motion of the dog.

don
Go to Top of Page

melomanemusher

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  5:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit melomanemusher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i only use cable coated ganglines on all the sleds we used for tourism, all of them got a bungee line for the jerkers, so that means for 30 sleds. way easier to fix when you bring them back at the shop, since im the shop master, but in the woods, you have to carry extra parts, mainly necklines that are easy to make. our dogs spend most of the day with their harness on , they chew on harnesses and on the lines but, we try to teach them not to, but anyways you know dogs, once your back is turn from them, chaos will happen, maybe maybe not you would say but.

i would love to use rope, way easier to cut if needed, light weight, comes in all colors, but wouldnt last a full week with the dogs in the kennel, except for the racing team who has been trained by my boss.

once you buy the roll of cable , teflon pucks, hardware and the big pincher pliers used for plumbing, really easy to make.

if i only had 6 to 8 dogs to take instead of 265, i would use rope.

simon

Musher united for the cause
Go to Top of Page

cricket

Canada
627 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  7:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit cricket's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have used both kinds and find tht the poly lines are better all around easier to work with safer for the dogs and in a emergency who carries cable utters for a tangled neck after a accident.but yet every one has a knife
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page