All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Volunteer Appreciation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

765 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  12:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dori's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In light of Eddy's topic on floaters I would like to thank all those that volunteer to put on races. A few names come to mind both past & present. Doris Lake (50 years of timing), Bill & Dixie Waddell, Linda S****e (just passed away), Ed & Jo Wood, Phil Hoekman, Jean Davies (how long has she been in the timing booth?) All the presidents, officers, and board members of all clubs. All those that step up at the last moment to fill spots. A big thanks to sled holders far and wide. Thanks to all the race marshalls (A thankless job for sure). Thanks to all the trail groomers paid and otherwise. A big thanks to all of those that have gotten out of dogs and yet still show up at the meetings & races to help out. You noticed I stopped naming names because the list is so long, but I have high reguards for every one that helps to put on a race. It is very rare that I go to a race that is not run in a professional manner, from the largest sprint race to the smallest village race. Thanks everyone.

313 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  5:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The top of my thank you list would have to be Ed Dallas and Ross Wagner and all the folks in the little towns between Aitken and Outing who put on the Mid Minnesota 150. Always a great time and well organized, with venues for top mushers as well as a rec class. Winters have been especially fickle for them, so hoping for good snow this winter. Also a tip of the hat to race judge Jack Welch, who always has time for a word and a smile, and to laugh when certain un-named individuals pour pancake syrup in their pockets....
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Acres

112 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  3:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne and Jean Davies have been timing races for the Alaska Dog Mushers Association for more than 25 years. Timex has nothing on them...they take a licking and keep on ticking!!! (The 25 year mark was quite a few years ago, I think that's when we made the plaque and renamed the timing tower at the Jeff Studdert race grounds in their honor...)

I never realized how much I identified racing with them until I went to a race outside of fairbanks and a strange voice said that "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Go!" ---it just didn't feel right! OMG, how entrenched can a person get when they don't even realize how conditioned and enbedded in a tradition and a volunteer's effort they have become and they don't even realize it!

And it's hard to say thank you to them DURING the race, because then you just distract them and they get grumpy because they take their jobs VERY seriously and don't want to mess up the times!!!

I'd also like to say thank you to Val Mackler, she's in her 80's and has been volunteering at dog races for more than 20 years. (Probably longer!) She volunteers for ADMA, the Two Rivers Dog Mushers, and the Yukon Quest. She also races in the AARP divison against her doctor's orders.

Another notable volunteer...Carol Kaynor, founded the Alaska Skijoring and Pulk Association, and she's maintained the ADMA mailing list and database for decades.

There have been numerous volunteers who handle race entries and check-in both at the meetings and at the races. It's a stressful and oftentimes thankless job. You have to be there early and you generally have to stay late. Stressed and grumpy people are usually par for the course. So I try really hard to not add to their burden and bring a thank you and a smile to share whenever I can.

Kathy Fitzgerald is another die-hard ADMA volunteer. She *might" make a few bucks off our club, but it doesn't begin to cover the amount of financial, emotional and time investment that she gives freely to our club, our sport, and the ONAC in particular.

In just a few weeks the ADMA symposium is happening. Thanks to a host of volunteers! That list of people has changed over the years, but dang, they do an AWESOME job and kudo's to each and every one of them who has stepped up to the plate in whatever capacity over the past several decades!?!

I like this thread...thanks.

What have you learned from your dog today?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page