General Discussion
 Arrangements for Frank Hall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  12:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sled builder Frank Hall passed away on Friday, September 14.

Details of arrangements are listed at
http://www.sleddogcentral.com/news_main.htm#hall

Judy Bergemann

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How Sad to hear of Franks passing. He was so helpful getting me reintroduced to this sport in the early nineties after being out of dogs for so long. He was my equipment mentor. Condolences to his family.
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  10:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought our first (and still my favorite) sled from Frank Hall 13 yrs ago. While we didn't really 'know' him, his work helped us get started in mushing.

Our thoughts are with his family during this time and we appreciate the contributions he's made to the sport.

Melissa

Edited by - mbeers on 09/15/2007 10:15:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karal

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  07:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our prayers and sympathy are with the Hall family and friends.

live laugh love
Go to Top of Page

cmolburg

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  10:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank and his wife, Nettie, have played major roles in Michigan sled dog promotions and in the early days of ISDRA. The first "fexible" sled was built in Michigan (not Europe) by Frank Hall, and I personally saw it demonstrated successfully on a sharp, steep downhill corner with Jack Campbell on the runners back in the 60s in Canada. My son, Joe, was stationed at a position to catch the loose teams, but Jack made it through still with his sled!

With Frank's passing, a pioneer in the sport joins the many others who cleared the way in the sled dog world for today's mushers.

Stay strong, Nettie.

Cindy Molburg

Cynthia J. Molburg
Go to Top of Page

P, Ann Nelson

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit P, Ann Nelson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank will be remembered for his sense of humor, warmth, and knowledge of wood and sled building. Spending time with Frank was always enjoyable. He has so many stories, and loved a good joke.
Frank was kind enough to let us spend time with him, in his old shop and taught us how to build a wood dog sled. My father, who had also been in the Navy during WW2, and Frank found much to chat about...I spent much of the day smiling and laughing.
I hope that my dad and Frank are together now, talking sleds,dogs, and about the world as they knew it.
Frank will be deeply missed, and it is a sad day for the sport of dog sledding to have lost such a great character, friend and a master sled builder.

Ann Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Brenda

161 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  1:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brenda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am just still reeling thinking about it. Such a big blow to the sport. He was one of my biggest supporters and the only sleds I have used, for the last 28 years, I proudly said were made by Frank. Not only do I consider him one of the best sled builders (in my opinion THE best) but one of the best ambassadors of the sport. Everyone I knew that ran into him said, "What a neat guy". I just remember when I would talk to him on the phone he had to end with a joke. A big laugh, as we said goodbye. I hope that is the way the goodbye really was. I can still see his giant grin. Frank will be greatly missed and God Bless Nettie.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page