Kennel licenses/permits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

musher81

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  9:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband and I are hoping to move this fall. We're buying some property about 10 miles from where we are now and building a house there. When I moved to my current house I only had a few dogs so didn't need a permit or license, and since it was a gradual accumulation, well, I just never bothered to get one. However, now that we are moving (same city, different township) I think we should apply for a license. I have the application and it's pretty simple, just filling in what you are asking for. Anyway, does anyone have experience with this? I'm a bit worried, as we are buying the land very cheap from a relative so we don't have a lot of options and really want to move to this property. Any advice would be great, especially anyone who lives in Isanti, MN.
Thanks
Kristin

datsun_1600

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  09:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit datsun_1600's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Kristin,

We went through a similar thing a few years ago. I think the best thing to do is be prepared. We had to attend a council meeting to present out case and answer questions. To prepare for this we made up a presentation, took some pictures of our dog yard as handouts, we even had possible references setup from fellow dog musher's to back us up. I think council was impressed that we came across as a professional outfit and not a puppy mill. Everything went really well and we all ended up happy. Council was worried and interested in our proximity to our neighbors, noise etc. None of which are really important were we live, but anyway, I guess that just wanted to make sure nobody would complain.

Also, we bought our house on the condition that the kennel license was approved. That way if the license didn’t go though weren’t under an obligation to buy the house.

Take it easy,
Jeff

www.jeffreythomas.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had a kennel liscense in MI and WI. In both states it was completely different. In MI I had to fill out an application, provide proof of veterinary care, vaccination records, and undergo a kennel inspection. That was the most difficult one, there were a couple of things that weren't upto the animal control officers expectations so they gave me so many days to make those changes but once it was completed I got the liscense but was subject to random kennel inspections and had to update dog info such as vaccine records yearly.
WI was completely different- they sent me a form to fill out which required the name of each dog, it's age,breed and when it was last vaccinated. No one came out to verify nor question anything. I do follow the MUSH with Pride guidelines and I think having that as a backer for what you do is an excellent idea. Definetly being prepared for what they may ask of you is best- not knowing what to expect when I moved to WI I was prepared to do as much if not more than I had to in MI. I had vet references, fellow mushers, the kennel completed and pictured with descriptions of it's features and measurements of the kennel itself and the houses chains etc. Even though I ended up not needing it I keep it on hand in case it is ever in question.

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page

Dennis Waite

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  06:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dennis Waite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too live in Michigan, and ElliRose pretty much detailed the process. As my kennel is composed of all rescues and are neutered and spayed, and our property is zoned residential/agricultural, I opted to individually license my dogs. With an altered dog the annual fee is only $5.00/dog. Kennel fees are something like $100.00 for up to 10 dogs, and more for over 10 dogs (don't remember). Our county requires a "double" fenced kennel set up, X amount of sq.ft. per dogs, etc., plus the required public appearance before the township board in an announced hearing. NONE of those requirements are demanded for individually licensed dogs. I avoided the need of public "approval" (no one could complain), kennel inspections, and my fees are actually about the same since I'm over the "up to 10 dogs" range. The local animal control does annually request a "census" to ensure all my pups are licensed, and we have a good working relationship. They have frequently contacted me when they pick-up a stray husky to make sure I'm not missing anyone, or to ask if I know the owner (they somehow have the idea I'm personally aquainted with every husky in the county!). I eventually adopted one of their more frequent "pick-ups" - a neighbor who should never have gotten a dog got a husky pup and then totally neglected it - finally surrendered the dog to me. (He's now being treated for heartworms, is gaining weight, and can't wait to join my pack!)

Because of my zoning, I've always considered the possiblity of setting-up a hog pen on the approprite property line should any neighbors become a complaining pain . So far, so good!

Of course, none of this is possible if you have an active breeding program or don't alter your dogs. I'm inclined to think there are more mushers who don't alter dogs as a rule than those that do, so kennel licenses are often your only option. But if you are one of the minority (like me) you might consider the "individual" route. Check you local laws, however; unlike here, the kennel license might be required based on numbers alone.

Jeff's idea of making the house sale contingent upon obtaining the license is brillant! It's amazing how often the influence of local realtors can help.

Dennis Waite
Phoenix Consultation
www.phoenixconsultation.com/rescue
Go to Top of Page

musher dad

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son and I went through this in Lake County Minnesota and it was just brutal. The local government probably won't be your problem it will be immediate neighbors. How close will you be to people and are they receptive to sled dogs? I would talk to my neighbors first. If they don't want you there even if you do get a permit they can complain and make life miserable. We are in Wisconsin and have no issues now but did for a brief time. I find that free beer and food really helps.
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  08:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in NY we HAVE to license each dog individually, unless one keeps purebreeds then you can get a Purebreed license. Kind of sucks.
We (locally) have to pay a local fee of $2.50 per dog and then $7.50 for each dog that isn't spayed or neutered. Most of mine ARE fixed too. Well, all the females are spayed AND I keep purebeed hounds as well.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com

Edited by - RSmith on 08/28/2007 08:03:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mushingsweetheart

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats kinda like me. Didnt bother gettin one because I only had a few dogs then the accumulation came. I also plan on moving within the next six to eight months and this is something I need some info on to. Like you I'm also worried because this is something I need to do. Its nice to know someone else has the same problems as me.

Nichole Sauve
Go to Top of Page

Lindy

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  7:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lindy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The great thing about Sled Dog Central is…… the timing of good topics. I used to license my dogs individually but for the last 5 years have gotten a kennel license. Here in Maine that is $40 for every 10 dogs, proof of rabies and an inspection.

I just moved too, and have no idea what to expect from the animal control officer in the new town. And being the only sled dog kennel here, they may not have even dealt with one before. I will be very anxious to hear how people make out in this situation and I will let you know what happens here. Thanks for the topic- seems like a few of us are facing the unknown.
Lindy Howe
Go to Top of Page

JC

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  09:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit JC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in Michigan and in the past we paid $25.00 per year for our kennel license. There were no inspections or anything. I just received a form in the mail from animal control wanting the names and vaccination info for each dog, which I have no problem with. When I renewed my license in the spring I was told they were going to start doing kennel inspections, they will call in advance and come out and look. I have no problem with that either. So, along with the dog info, they also sent me a waiver that I am supposed to sign allowing them to do random inspections when I am not home. Now, I REALLY do not agree with this AT ALL! I think it is a violation of your rights to let someone on your property without you being there. What if something happened involving one of my dogs when I am not here?? My dogs are all friendly and all, but I do not agree at all with allowing ANYONE onto my property without me being here. I don't think I am going to sign the waiver and instead send them a letter as to why. What do you all think? I have no idea why they would start doing this all of a sudden. They are very good to deal with normally and all of them are bear hunters and have 15-20 dogs themselves. It really angers me that they think they can do this. Anyone else have to deal with this?? Any advice on what to do?
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  2:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was over in MI we were already dealing with the random inspections. It really sucks let me tell you. It seems like when you have one of those mornings, your late, it's muddy and wet and you don't have the few extra minutes to scoop poop knowing you'll be back in early afternoon to get it done. They show up then to do the inspection. That just results in my dogs who love visitors getting all excited, churning up the mud even more and grinding in the poop...what a sight for the guy checking up on you. Then there are the times when everything is perfect and you're the model for the rest of the area. That said I never liked it. My dogs have always been friendly and outgoing but you're right you never know when something else could happen. In regards to that we actually had a dog loose when they stopped out- rather than throw him in the kennel or call they took him to the pound and ticketed me for a loose dog!
This all falls into the types of legislative action we are seeing throughout teh country. The best I can tell you is what I tell my dairy farmers who are feeling the crunch in a similar manner. It's better to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to these situations. Keep things up to par, follow good guidelines like Mush with PRIDE and keep your cool. The random inspections to stink but you can be the kennel that they use as a model or you can be on their s&*t list. I don't think the choice is that hard.

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page

dashinsam

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit dashinsam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We live in northern Idaho, Kootenai County. Here the cost of an annual kennel license is $25.00. Our kennel is inspected annually by an animal control officer. They set up an appointment in order to schedule that. The inspections occur at the time of renewal. They generally ask to see some proof of rabies vaccination records on one or two dogs, look through the facility and so far in every case have left me with nothing but compliments.

Jill Wilson
The Dashing Kennel
Racing Siberian Huskies
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  11:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Woodswoman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JC -

Just shows you how much difference a few miles (and a county line) can make.

We've always had inspections. However, we don't have random inspections. They are yearly, with the license renewal.

Ask AC about the waiver. What happens if you don't sign it? If they push, ask them to show you in print (law) where the Department of Agriculture requires random inspections. Bottom line, the local AC must follow the inspection requirements of Dept. of Ag. This holds true throughout Michigan.

Again, put the burden of proof on them. Ask to see it in writing.

Good luck!

Sherry Sutherby
http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JC

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  3:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sherry-
Thanks for the tip!! I will do that, I haven't sent anything back to them yet. It just really makes me angry since they said in the spring they were doing inspections by appointment. I don't really think they will make all that many inspections anyways, they were supposed to inspect my kennel in 2001, have not EVER seen them do one. Maybe they are understaffed, I have no idea. I have no problem with inspections (we keep a clean kennel), but why don't we just give up all our rights and let every governing body do and tell us whatever they want and come and go on OUR land as THEY see fit?? I just don't understand it.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  5:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woodswoman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joann (JC) -

You might find this helpful.

The links provided doesn't cover the local animal control ordinances. Again, they will have to show you in print why they are doing random inspections.

To me that spells disaster. We don't allow anyone on our property when we aren't there. I wouldn't sign the waiver. I would think your homeowners and/or kennel insurance company wouldn't care for it either.

Keep us posted!

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-2961_44618-169700--,00.html

Sherry Sutherby
http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page