New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

JT

109 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  4:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just like to say that I am really happy that the Iditarod raised the entry fee this year. I think the timing is great. I think the increased entry fee will really effect the top mushers whose comments the adn etc. profiled. I think this is the right thing to do at the right time to really encourage young ambitious mushers who are aspiring to make their dreams come true. Great work.
JT HESSERT

Abbie West

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please re-label the title of this post "SARCASM"

.*.**the cosmic canines**.*.
Go to Top of Page

needtosled

Canada
251 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

enjoying a good team is like a fine wine.
Go to Top of Page

Rogue

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  11:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Abbie!

Happy Trails!
Tammi

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."
Go to Top of Page

Mike Murphy

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on Abby!!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry S

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jerry S's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JT, I know you are really frustrated, I think it is really a bad deal for not just young guys like you but probably 70% the 100 teams that are contemplating signing up for 2008. It makes sence that the top 20 are welcoming the raise in the entry fee as that will add another $60,000 to $100,000 to the bottom line of the budget, some of which will be earmarked to increase the purse. As a race promoter and racer, I have always been against the mushers paying to put on the show. But, The Times are Changing and maybe we'll look back at the time when the Iditarod entry was only $3,000.

The picnic and sign up is Saturday in Wasilla.

Jerry Scdoris
Experienced Scooper

Edited by - Jerry S on 06/28/2007 5:28:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lee Harvey

89 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  12:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really surprised to see how few posts there are on this subject, but maybe it has already been hashed to death through the Iditarod finishers listserve. It will be interesting to see how the increase effects the Saturday sign-up. It seems like this could create a huge shift to the Yukon Quest for a lot of folks that aren't confident they'll finish in the Iditarod Top 20, but I doubt it will happen.
That's the wierd thing too because it seemed a lot of the justification for this increase was to dissuade those extreme back-of-the-packers, that aren't really racing, from signiing up. However, I've met many of these folks and (not judging them as good or bad)they'll tell you out right that they're signing up, not to race 1,000 miles or mush across Alaska, but instead just to be part of the iconic Iditarod experience, and they'll pay $3,000, $5,000, $10,000 or more for that experience.
Sounds crazy, but look at what has happened with climbing Mt. Everest over the last two decades. From a few qualified mountaineers a year paying a few hundred dollars for the permit to actually climb, it turned into the freak show it is now where hundreds of people a year, many not properly skilled or even fit enough to be there, are paying thousands of dollars in permit fees, and to guides to put in fixed lines the whole way up.
Anyhow, this is turning into a diatribe. It will be interesting to see what Saturday's sign-up brings.

Love not thy man less, but dogs more.
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  4:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been giving a lot of thought about this. To my knowledge the Iditarod Trail is open to anyone Right? And are there any laws saying a musher can't just show up in Wasilla on a given day, pull the hook and head to Nome. I mean at a different time frame than the race too. NO - NOT SUGGESTING and IDITAROD BASH- Please. Just do it solo on your own time. If your a newbie and way in the back of the pack anyway why bother with the race part if you just want to experience the trail and the scenery?

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  6:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]If your a newbie and way in the back of the pack anyway why bother with the race part if you just want to experience the trail and the scenery?

Uh...how about support? Last I heard Iditarod had supplies flown to check points, had vets there to help evaluate and treat injuries, supply water in many locations, etc.
Go to Top of Page

intensekarin

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  6:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit intensekarin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure it is fair to equate mushers at the back of the pack to Everest climbers who buy their way to the top. Completely unqualified idiots with money can pay for an expedition company to haul their butts to the summit of Everest.

Iditarod mushers must be competent mushers, demonstrate that they are qualified, and complete the race using their own skills and effort. You can't buy your way to Nome - you gotta know what you are doing. I know, some have been 'shepherded' by a more experienced musher, but ultimately they are responsible for doing all the work and dog care on their own. The vast majority of people who enter the Iditarod are truly mushers and are in it to race, whether or not they finish in the top 20.

Having a competitive kennel consumes your entire life, all your time, and every dime you have or can raise. Anyone who has made this committment is not going to be turned away by an increase in entry fees - it just adds to the challenge of figuring out how the heck to make it all happen. (Like we need any more challenges).

Karin
www.blueonblackdogs.com
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  6:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Uh...how about support? Last I heard Iditarod had supplies flown to check points, had vets there to help evaluate and treat injuries, supply water in many locations, etc.

AHH point made. Three grand isn't so much to pay for all that support and security EH?
If you believe 3K is a lot try going it alone- LOL

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...

Edited by - Cliff Maxfield on 07/01/2007 4:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lee Harvey

89 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  7:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
intensekarin,
In a perfect world, yes, mushers are qualified to be there. That's the point of the 500 miles of qualifiers. But this is not a perfect world and I have met mushers in the iditarod with leased teams that knew just enough to get by. I've met folks that didn't even know how to use a cooker or check a dog's foot for splits. So I disagree with you, I think you can buy your way onto the Iditarod, and if you're lucky, quite possible to Nome. That's not to say all people that lease teams are doofuses, but I have met a few people that weren't responsible enough to be in such remote and extreme country, much less while being responsible for 16 other lives in their care.
Lee

Go to Top of Page

Woofy

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woofy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe the qualifying races should be more difficult, or there should be other requirements for running Iditarod, too. Maybe clubs/organizations like P.R.I.D.E. and its affiliates should have volunteer kennel inspections for mushers who want to run in Iditarod and other races. And if you don't pass certain qualifications for dog care or whatnot, then you can't race. Obviously that isn't very likely due to logistics, but it could be beneficial to the sport. Or since the Iditarod is already raising its entrance fee, maybe they could help offset any travelling costs (help, not pay completely--the local clubs, which would be certified by race organisers or PRIDE or someone, would also help out). Again, probably not very likely in the near future, but it would help to minimize inexperienced racers such as those that Lee mentioned.
My two cents, anyhow.

"Sailor Girl Sled Dog Kennel"
www.freewebs.com/sailorgirlkennel
Go to Top of Page

Steve Bergemann

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil

All I can say is Holy Crap what are thinking? What about protocol, how would most races raise the purse without entry fees? What will you do with all of the teams that would show up? How would you be able to handle the more relaxed and happier drivers who would know that they only need to put on the Show and not pay for it also.

Now combine a no entry fee with the new stage race format that their doing in Alaska and have it somewhere in lets say Minnesota, Wisconsin or the UP, can you spell reenergize racing? (somebody said east of the Mississippi)
Where do I sign up?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Ladysibes

Canada
468 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  8:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pick a sport - any sport and you have to pay to play...

I could rant here for a long time as both a business person, musher, past competitor and a race organizer. But I won't.

No way in hell do I expect somebody else to pay for my passion/hobby/lifestyle. That is all part of the game. And my name is not paris hilton!

Go to Top of Page

Lee Harvey

89 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  8:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iditarod just announced 56 mushers signed up on the first day, so it appears the purse increase didn't dissuade many people. $3,000...geez that could buy a lot of dog food.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page