Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

teamgsp

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  6:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people, I would like to organize a race in Moose Jaw, Sk next winter. My first question is are there any musher on here from around Moose Jaw or Regina that would be interested in giving me a hand? Second is for all of you out there. I would like to have input on what you guys are looking for in a race, what you would like to see, and I mean everything. I would like to organize the perfect race now I know that's not possible but I could do my best with all your inputs. I would like to know about preferred, distances, number of dogs, terrain, pre race events, post race events, etc... You know what I mean.

You can't go faster than your slowest dog. :)

Edited by - teamgsp on 04/06/2007 11:39:25 AM

Evan

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  9:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Evan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are doing a lot of heats in a day and there will be gaps between starts, some of the feedback we received from the spectators this year was to have 'side-events.' Things like dogsled rides for the kids, bathtub races, human sled pulls, things like that.

Along with all the other suggestions you're likely to get, keeping head-on passing to a minimum, but better still, to have none would also be nice.

http://profitablephotosites.com/nomadracing/
Go to Top of Page

Murray McGunigal

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  2:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Murray McGunigal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
teamgsp
email me and I will try to help you out with any suggestions that I can. There is a musher in your area too, not too far away that is a great person and I know he too would help you out in what ever way he could.
When you want to pick a date, I suggest looking at race schedules so that you can try not to pick a weekend where there is already a similar distances and classes. The Ma-Mow-We-Tak website has a race schedule that covers most races in western Canada, and some in the east as well as a few USA races.

Sand Hill Sled Dogs
Go to Top of Page

Gracie

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  3:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gracie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Organize it and they will come!!! That is what we found with organizing our first race series this year. We had a series of 6 races: including a 12-mile race, a kid's race, and a pet dog class. Our maximum number of teams one day was about 38! It seemed to bring a boatload of mushers out of the woodwork and was well received by all. It was well worth all the work and was great for bringing the mushing community together.

I would suggest asking around your area, to get a feel for what sort of distance to go for. Number of dogs can vary with distance. Our 12-mile race ranged from 4-6 dogs and in that class we had a skijoring class as well that ranged between 2-4 dogs. We tried to balance it out between the skis and sleds so they would be fairly evenly matched. When the race was only 4 dogs on the sled, we had a drop in the number of mushers and there were a few comments that it was too few dogs. We will probably change that in the future.

We found that with just these 3 races, it was almost a full day of stuff happening. We started with the meeting at 9:00am and things were finally finishing by 2:00 or 3:00. We did have side events that people suggested, just to involve some other people - one was a one-dog race (100 yard dash kind of thing) between our local sprint champ and a 3-year old!

We also had a bonfire going at the start for volunteers and spectators as it was really cold on a few race days! However, the problem with being on a public trail, someone later stole our bonfire drum! As well as our sponsor's banner...

Oh, also - we started having a potluck at the end of the day while people were waiting around for the award's ceremony. Good thing, because people were usually starving by the end of the day.
Go to Top of Page

KevRhon

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A race in Moose Jaw? Sounds great,there hasn't been a race in southern Sask. for a loooong time-maybe 20-25 years now. I rememmber as a kid going to race in Regina beach, Melville, Fort Quappelle,and even Yorkton.One thing that comes to mind however is the fact that these races were very short lived. With the exception of a few races in our circuit, the ones that seem to last the longest are the ones that have one or more mushers on the committte. These people have a vested interest in seeing that "their" race keeps on going. My suggestion for a first year race is to keep it simple,try not to get bogged down with a whole pile of events and activities. Give spectators a taste of our sport and then build on that. Many races flounder after their first year, considering the ammount of work involved. Given your location I would be cautious as to how how many events you plan, calling off a race because of a lack of snow is extremely disheartening for a committee and members will get frustrated. If you find that your first year is successful then build on it,providing you have the manpower. We are in our 9th year with our race at Preeceville and it has been a rewarding experience and to date we have raced over $140,000 for our hospital project. Call any of the Ma-Mow_We-Tak executive or myself and I'm sure that they will give you some excellent advice.

kevin Cook
Go to Top of Page

Evan

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  6:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Evan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KevRohn raises a lot of points that we, as a first time race organising committee, faced with our race this year. We debated keeping it simple or planning a lot of activities and opted to just have the races and a 'kid and mutt' event because originally our race was to be run on a weekend that coincided with a hockey tournament. We thought that our spectators would go watch the hockey games during race lapses and that the hockey crowd would come out to the finish line during their breaks. Instead, we had to postpone the race due to lack of snow and when we finally held it there was no side event to fall back on and the spectators were left with nothing to do between heats. Also, because we had to do a fair bit of trail work on day two, there was a long delay and it was easy to sense the growing boredom of the spectators.

I would suggest to have some events planned. Even if the race goes entirely as planned, there are gaps and people are not always willing to sit around waiting for the next heat to start. If not, and there are unforseen delays, having some form of entertainment for the crowd is nice. The race is as much for the racers as it is for the spectators.

http://profitablephotosites.com/nomadracing/
Go to Top of Page

dp

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a mass start race and the you are able to follow the race along a road way or highway you don't need to worry about other ways to entertain.Keep it simple and your sure to find success with your race.Nothings more exciting for both mushers and spectators than a mass start dog race.
Go to Top of Page

gonetodogs

Canada
245 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  1:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with dp. A mass start for sure, and that includes the skijoring events also. After engaging in a mass start, pursuit races just don't cut it for measuring skill and adding excitment.
Go to Top of Page

teamgsp

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  1:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the trail I thought about the river. It's not really big but freezes solid by xmas. Wide enough and it would permit for unlimited distance as the river runs for miles. I'm not even sure were it ends. Beside the river are farmers fields, wouldn't be a problem to get permission to create loops. Therefore you would never meet any teams just have to pass. :)

There seems to be a lot of interest in a mass start that's also a possibility as the river is pretty wide were I was planning the starts anyways.

Just a question about mass start, time is out the window right? The first one to get to the finish wins and then 2nd 3rd so on right? Could be fun. Especially for spectators they get to cheer for an actual winner not a time winner.

Go to Top of Page

moeladouceur

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  01:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres my suggestion,
Mass start
4 dog
6 dog
8 dog &
open mileage pending on time of year.
email me if you would like any more suggestions or help.

The scenery never changes, unless your the lead dog!
Go to Top of Page

Obsessed Musher

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  11:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Obsessed Musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with most of the posts. You should consider allowing younger mushers in the 4 and 6 dog races. Perhaps 12 years old and up for the 4 and 6 dog. You could also add a 2 dog, 1 mile, timed start on an oval track right at the site for spectators to watch. It is a great entry level race for more experienced young mushers and can be very exciting. Also, you need to run a 1 dog 100 yard mass start at the very end of the event. You would not believe how many mushers got their first taste of racing in the 1 dog events and it can usually addict more people into the sport. Perhaps the 8 dog and unlimited could be replaced with a 10 dog event instead (less timekeeping). It is almost impossible to run unlimited in a mass start as well. Just some thoughts for you. It is best to still keep times in a mass start race even if it is just one day. Two day races do bring more back to the community through motels, resturaunts, etc.

Fred Hems
Pine Ridge Sled Dog Ranch
Go to Top of Page

moeladouceur

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  02:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mass start...dual start for open..
open is a dieing class in canada, alaska has it.. canada should be more capable then what we are for supporting open races.

Go to Top of Page

Murray McGunigal

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Murray McGunigal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An unlimited would be nice. In Saskatchewan we lost the only open class race we had and it would be nice to see another one start up.

Mass start for the limited class races, and single start for the unlimited. The single instead of double allows all teams to get out without tangling with another team. I suppose it could go double starts though if you still ran off the truck in the same chute as the mass start, allowing for a lot of room to avoid the tangles

Sand Hill Sled Dogs
Go to Top of Page

teamgsp

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  10:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep the ideas coming people I love this. I starting to have more of an Idea of what I want to organize. Now I just need to find volunteers to help. And a nice purse.

Go to Top of Page

moeladouceur

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  6:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in fort nelson terry had it well organized for the dual starts for the open...it worked out great...1 team on each end of the chutes...

Go to Top of Page

teamgsp

Canada
96 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  7:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm warming up to the idea of an Open race. I just need to confirm that the trail would permit such a race safely. I also need to make the money attractive.

How did the Streeper's did it ( Dual Start ) it then becomes a timed event right?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page