New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

August

83 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S0121.0.html&session=ls85

If you live in MN and own a kennel...please check out the above link at the new bill introduced to legislation on Jan 17th. Read all the way through, at the end it clearly states that this bill effects kennels that keeps dogs for sporting purposes. The way I read it, this bill would not be good for mushers. Please contact your senator/ representatives asap.

pcurtice

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  10:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, did this just sneak up on you guys? Anyway, I would consider Mn to be the sled dog capitol of the lower 48 so if you all speak up and voice your concern this may not affect sled dog kennels or working kennels. Upon reading it, it sounds more like it is directed to the puppy mills. You guys still have to get involved...Vox Populi.

Peter C. Curtice II
Ridgerunner Kennel
Go to Top of Page

northwapiti

Canada
455 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  04:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit northwapiti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow - that will shut down every sledding kennel I know in MN.
I hope MN sledding enthusiasts ban together and stop this riduculous legislation.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scary.

California has a group called the Animal Council which includes lawyers that help to fight crazy stuff like this (however often in CA we don't win).

I believe Wisconsin also has a similar group...is there one in MN?

Here's the link to the Animal Council--perhaps they can point you to contacts in your area.

http://www.theanimalcouncil.com

I would think something as scary as this could use the help of lawyers and those very familiar with the legislative process in your state.

Melissa
Sibertopia Sled Pets
Go to Top of Page

chel ethun

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  11:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August,
Thanks for the alert. I emailed our rep and senator right away. I suggested that there either needs to be a)language change to reflect mushers or b)seperate legislation that ensures musher kennel standards like those in Mush with Pride. I offered a link to Mush with Pride. I made sure to remind them of how this legislation, while done with good intent, could affect sporting dog owners like those that like to hunt in Northern Minnesota. I also suggested that if this legislation were to go through, it could have a spiral affect on the mushing events and businesses in Northern Minnesota and could directly affect the economy of their districts.

Go to Top of Page

August

83 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MN mushers. A bill was just introduced to the senate (MN) that could potentially effect all of us, the rules on kennels (tethering, housing, feeding, spaying, debarking, licensing, etc.) would be too much for most of us to continue to exist.

Please read the bill, get hold of your legislatures NOW, and do the following advice from a past musher who is now a lawyer:

"You should call Tony Lourey. He is the vice chair of the committee that is considering this bill. He knows farm type issues and should be supportive. His number is 651.296.0293. He is new and his mother is Becky Lourey. Tell him that the bill should be killed or that mushing kennels should be exempted. The problem is that the committee that has this bill is full of legislators that would support this kind of bill. Second, keep on tracking the bill by signing up for “my bills” alerts on the legislative website."

The link to look up the bill is:

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S0121.0.html&session=ls85

from that link you can also look up your legislatures.

Something to think about- if we could all join Mush with Pride and do their kennel certification program....it would show that the mushing community is policing itself and does not need the government to do it for us, we (team_galloway) are not members as of today....but would do so.

Race organizers...please consider getting involved with this as it will effect your race also.

PLease pass this email on to other MN mushers and friends.

WI/ MI mushers and others...please lend us your voice, tell the legeslatures that the races are important to you (as tourists to this state) and might not be happen if this bill goes into effect.

Thank you,
August Galloway
Go to Top of Page

August

83 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  4:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone... a lobbyist who is a sled dog advocate (BG board member) set up a meeting with the guy who authored the bill on Monday (Jan 22nd) with herself and me. He has asked for ideas of why and how the mushers should be exempt from this bill. If any mushers would like to join me at this meeting I would welcome it. If anybody has any ideas of what I can tell him......that would be helpful too. I don't have much time to invest in this (I know nobody does) so any help from you would be very appreciated.

Does anyone have anything from other states or counties that has dealt with anything like this? Does anyone have Mush with Pride info on kennel standards? Does anyone have any idea of how many kennels in MN this would effect? Can anyone send me things you see in this bill why it would not work for your kennel?

Thanks to everyone who cares enough to help out even a little!

Please email me if you have any ideas or would like to join the meeting.

Edited by - August on 01/19/2007 4:45:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

SingingDogKennel

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  4:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just emailed my legislators (Sen Bakk and Rep Dill) and am getting off my butt to join Mush With Pride today! It's one thing to take advantage of all the thought and effort of an organization like that, but quite another to remember that without active support, it could go away!! Would others in my area be willing to explore doing some further lobbying - beginning with more in depth contact with Bakk and Dill? Both these guys pride themselves on working hard for their constituents and I'm ready to take them up on that promise!
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  4:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August I think MUSH with Pride is as good as it gets and designed by some of the best, Susan Butcher being one of them and it was a part of her legacy. Maybe a good time to rimind some politicians of that. Remind them that we pay liscense fees, purchase dog food, support many musher related small businesses. You might want to get vendors and all the tour and rides people in Minnesota.
What about the sled races this will destroy, the legacy of such races as the Beargrease and Mid Minnesota and all the sprint races.
How much creedence are us out of State Mushers going to have.
If there are any Native American Mushers out there they too need to speak out. This could take away another piece of their heritage.

Remind them of how many sled dog kennels take in rescues- thus saving the populace money at dog pounds.

I agree with Pete C, It's probably to curb puppy mills but it's excessive and a distinction needs to be made.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...

Edited by - Cliff Maxfield on 01/19/2007 4:56:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  5:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mush with Pride web site has the kennel info:

http://www.mushwithpride.org

Melissa
Sibertopia Sled Pets
Go to Top of Page

Jake Robinson

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our local representative is a musher. Working on getting ahold of him right now...

Do it by dog,
Jake

Edited by - Jake Robinson on 01/19/2007 6:57:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

northwapiti

Canada
455 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  9:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit northwapiti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well August, I have made many, many visits to the state - and spent a ton of cash over the years - because of mushing. I'm not sure I would have spent even one dollar in the state if not for the sport. I'm sure there are many others like me.

Good luck!

Karen

Edited by - northwapiti on 01/19/2007 9:08:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

SingingDogKennel

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  12:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PLEASE HELP August is putting herself out there for us by attending this meeting on Monday and needs relevant talking points. Let's all give a hand! I'm doing a review of existing laws to try to find precedents for alternative language to what's proposed. (Thank you mbeers for the great starting point!) She also needs concrete reasons for suggesting that mushers be exempted from certain aspects of this bill. Think about it: How SPECIFICALLY would enactment of this bill be a HARDSHIP for YOU? Please post your ideas ASAP so she can gather her thoughts about it all for the meeting. Your dogs will love you for it!!
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  06:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just accross the border but sooner or later we'll have to deal with a similar situation.
HOW WOULD IT EFFECT OUR KENNEL?
We tether
We use barrels for housing
We have a forty dog kennel
Three of our rescues were debarked prior to coming to our kennel- so would the inspectors know that?
Without going back and reviewing every thing detail listed these are four things that stuck in my mind as I went down their list.
These four items would bury us financially. the price of runs alone would be astronomical and IMO not as healthy for the dogs.
We are doing everything per PRIDE recomendations and more.

BUT I'd suggest the legislators look at what we do and don't do- what we are and are not.

WE ARE NOT A PUPPY MILL. WE HAVE NEVER SOLD A PUPPY IN TEN YEARS NOR INTENTIONALLY RAISED ANY TO SELL.

AS SAID PREVIOUSLY - WE RESCUE- WHEN OUR COUNTY OR LOCAL VETS HAVE A DOG THEY THINK HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A WORKING SLED DOG AND THE OWNER WANTS TO EUTHANIZE IT FOR NO REASON WHO DO THEY CALL- US.
FIFTEEN OF OUR DOGS MEET THIS CRITERIA.

WE RACE AND ARE AN EDUCATION CENTER INTRODUCING SLED DOG SPORTS IN A POSITIVE MANNER TO YOUTH GROUPS MAINLY FROM MINNESOTA. MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL AREA.
IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS AND THE DOGS.

We, like all of you have invested a life time, PUT OUR HEART AND SOUL INTO the kennel and dogs.
Why do we need to go through this.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...

Edited by - Cliff Maxfield on 01/20/2007 06:21:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Susan Evenden

Canada
677 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan Evenden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm curious, does the horse racing industry face this kind of hassle all the time. Seems that somehow on a national level dogsled kennels needs to fall under same kind of legislation that horse ranches do.

http://mushingmum.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was surprised about the rule that animals needing to be fed every 12 hours...I would say the majority of the pet people I know only feed their dogs once per day.

Melissa
Sibertopia Sled Pets
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page