Doc Belford has passed away
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cowan

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  6:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard over the Net that Charlie Belford passed away yesterday. If anyone knows the arrangements, please let me know. He was a great favorite of mine, and i interviewed him many times.

nancy cowan

Jerry S

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  7:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jerry S's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had the honor of sitting and visiting with him at his home in 1978. He was really sharp and witty. Gosh how old would he be? He seemed elderly back then.

Go to Top of Page

cowan

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was 85. Probably seemed elderly as he was a bit frail after having most of his stomach removed back in the eighties. Cancer. He rallied and was really in better shape maybe ten years ago. the last couple of years he was getting REAL frail, and I missed seeing him at all his favorite races. It was a pleasure to write about him, fun to interview him...but I called him before I started the Laconia piece for Sled Dog Sports...probably in Dec. and he did not want to talk, I got the drift he felt bad and did not want to be on the telephone. That was a first, he LOVED talking sled dog history...ESPECIALLY when it was sled dogs and Charlie Belford History...but that was okay with me. I loved hearing all he had to say. And there was plenty of wisdom in some of the things he said. Not a replaceable person. Good Lord, I miss these wonderful people when they pass on. Well, Heaven for Mushers just got a LOT more interesting now that Doc is there.

nancy cowan
Go to Top of Page

Fast E

USA
2238 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  9:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Lombard- Moulton-Molburg-Paquenault and now Belford gone the east is running out of former legends.Their memories will last forever with me as i knew them all.

www.fastestreeperkennel.com
Go to Top of Page

cowan

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  04:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you meant, Eddie. But they are not "former legends". They will ALWAYS be legends. You and I will help keep those memories alive, and I hope that so will all else who was fortunate enough to have known any of the "greats who came before". It scares me how fast memories fade so that newcomers are clueless. These guys are Immortals to my way of thinking. The only remedy I have found for forgetfulness regarding our racing/mushing legends is to write and write and write. Wish that YOU would do a book! You knew them all, you have so much to share. If you ever want a collaborator, just whistle. Long live Doc Belford....boy, what races those legends must be rehashing now.

nancy cowan
Go to Top of Page

cowan

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talked to Mrs. Belford today. Calling hours are at the Wilkinsen-Beane Funeral Home in Laconia from 10-11 AM on Thurs. Sept. 22. Funeral Mass is at Laconia's St. Joseph's at 11AM same day.

nancy cowan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page