Trucks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MRoutley

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  04:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diesel vs Gas. I've always run diesel trucks but I'm getting fed up with all the pernickety bits on them. Fill'em with diesel, add diesel lube.... or face a 5 Grand injector repair , then add DEF to the other tank, and 1/2 hour later you're ready to go again...stinking like diesel. Repair jobs are more expensive. And diesel is no longer less expensive. And then there's the cold starts. So is there a gas truck out there that has the same performance as a diesel.? Not necessarily for towing but for putting 36 dogs on board and still charging up hills?

HOmaley

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  12:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out some of the gas f350 superduty's. Great trucks if you like Fords.
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  11:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always been a FORD guy. Best frame on frame on body.

I've always liked Chev's ride.

When I take everything into consideration regarding past and present ont automotives...
Dodge has an amazing engine that will run on 4, 6, or 8 cylinders depending on the power required. It is quite dependable and overall maintenance and mileage efficient.
All of that is what I've heard from owners. I've only experienced the mileage and power of the 1ton 4X4 on the highway with no load. Can't personally say about the rest.

My dream is to take a regular wheelbased 47 Dodge 1ton, put a FORD carberated 300CID 6cyl with a mileage cam and tuned 3"exhaust, 5speed std tranny, 2Lo,2High,N,4High,4Lo std T-case, 373 locking 3/4ton diffs, unlocking/locking front hubs. Build a box for 24 dogs.

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])
Go to Top of Page

k_21_au

Australia
92 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  2:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I'm also interested int this topic.

Is there others on this forum who can elaborate further on what 'MRoutley' has mentioned?

I would also like to know what type of fuel a vehicle that operates in sub-zero zones would work best.

Keeping in mind that my requirements would be that it's reasonable to maintain etc.

Thanks
Devante.
P.S. I didn't realise that you needed add diesel lube and add DEF?? <-Pls explain

There's a world of difference between knowing what to do an DOING IT!!
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  8:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gasoline combustion engines are probably best.
Small bore, long stroke, premium gas with real alcohol(not "Gasline Antifreeze"), new plugs every fall(cap, rotor, wires in older models.)
I had an old carberated 300cid inline 6 Ford3/4ton with a standard 4spd.
It was so cold one night the oil in the diff froze almost solid.
I poured a little gas in the carb, pulled the standard(cable) choke and after a couple of compression strokes(2 cyls) it started and ran like a charm.( I had not plugged it in.) After it warmed for about 15 mins I slowly got it into 1st gear and tried to move. Barely. After going in 1st gear for a mile it warmed the diff oil a bit so I could do more than 10kms/hr without fear of breaking stuff. -50*C is pretty stiffening.
Point you ask...
Deisel would never have started nor would propane. I believe even a computerized fuel injected gasoline engine would of had a real hard time starting but gas does seem to start easier in colder weather
I know guys that have actualy put gasoline into their deisel tanks to thin(condition)the fuel so it wouldn't freeze up (gel)in the lines. These are truckers hauling from the States to Canada. I was told it works. Me......I'll stick to gas (engine) think

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])

Edited by - kissAnew on 01/02/2017 8:18:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  03:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had a Ford F 150 with the 5.4 litre. It was hard on gas with tosing my trailer full of dogs, and died on the hills, just barely being able to crest them at 40 Kph. Then I got the F 250, same engine, but chipped, and cold air intake on it. It was better going up hills, but I was getting only 9 mpg towing. 3 years ago, I grabbed a brain, and got my Dodge Ram, with the 5.7 litre Hemi. Towing the same 18 1/2 foot trailer, loaded with 24 dogs, and equipment, as we sell it at races. I get 18 mpg, and have no problem getting up the hills, with very little change in the RPM. Just for unterest sake, I am getting 24 mpg when I am not towing. I will never go back to a Ford.

Razor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page