Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Paul Reid

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should all be aware a new documentary entitled 'The Truth About Sled Dogs" is in the works. It will involve kennels from U.S. & Canada. http://www.aspentimes.com/news/15214668-113/krabloonik-in-snowmass-chosen-for-dog-sledding-documentary
Do your homework!

ChuckCubbison

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  3:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChuckCubbison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a potential minefield to me. I hope the CBC folks do a good job but I will withhold judgement about their version of "the truth" until the final product is released.
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  4:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering that "the truth about sled dogs" is a phrase often used by enemies of the sport when describing events that occurred 20 or 30 (or more!) years ago as though they happened yesterday, and/or when claiming that rare or even one-time negative incidents are actually commonplace, I'm getting nervous already. (Tho' w/ it being the CBC, maybe I shouldn't be nervous yet--after all, they did -The Lone Trail-, about the Yukon Quest, in 2004, and that documentary was good....)
Go to Top of Page

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  04:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, as with any tourist based business, there must be higher standards set, especially where animals are concerned. I just hope that these new people will do a good job to promote, and shine a good light on this sport. More so, I hope that the media doesn't twist this story, or worse yet, edit the final result to make this look bad. Fingers crossed.

Razor
Go to Top of Page

Paul Reid

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  06:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read the comments. Follow the links.
Go to Top of Page

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did Paul. That's why I said in the end, hopefully the editing of the final product is good for the sport. You know how the public can perceive what they see differently from what we see.

Razor

Edited by - Razor on 07/20/2015 06:42:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

IN

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit IN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The former owner is a friend of mine. I visited his kennel couple of years ago and did not find anything our of ordinary or different from other WELL KEPT kennels I have seen over the many years being involved in mushing. Some people who know more about the situation pointed out that this is a "witch hunt" (which is not be surprising at all).

IN
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for IN: is your term "witch hunt" in reference to the particular kennel which is referenced in the article, or to the in-progress documentary itself?
Go to Top of Page

IN

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  5:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit IN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The kennel.

IN
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  03:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do I have the uneasy feeling that the "documentary" which prompted the concerned front-page Editorial is the finished result?
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  1:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And according to the APRN article I just found, it IS the very one--and that woman, Fern Levitt, only featured two kennels. And when she did, she worked with out of date material. (The 2010 Whistler Massacre, and the kennel mentioned in the original article from 2015--but she was focusing on past incidents, not the present OR future.)

Shame on the CBC.
Go to Top of Page

gonetodogs

Canada
245 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  6:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, unfortunately Fern and other AR activists are calling this film the 'Blackfish' of the sled dog sport/recreation/tourism industry.There is much discussion about it on FB mushing groups including talk of litigation, by ethical kennel operators, for libel. A website associated with the film listed dozens of kennels and tour operators both in the USA and Canada, encouraging the boycott of each. The website has been taken down, but not before some mushers took screen shots as proof.

If you check the production companies' blurb on the film, it appears benign, talking about 'exhilarating' experiences and the majesty of it all:

http://www.ccientertainment.com/docs/

So it appears that the filmmaker not only deceived the subjects (mushers) about her film's intent, but also the grant administrators and the entertainment company.

Here is the 'Sled Dogs' trailer:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0PxBfeas8

Edited by - gonetodogs on 11/07/2016 6:16:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  02:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the many (MANY--and I actually know a few of them!) mushers who are ethical DO sue for libel. The fact that the website has been taken down has me wondering if maybe there's already some backlash against this mock-umentary.

-Blackfish-, my eye. This is more like someone making a film titled -Muslims- and having nothing but footage from ISIS videos and when the Twin Towers fell. Like making a film called -Pit Bulls- and only showing illegal dogfights and/or people who had been mauled. That's what this is like. Two instances in the past do not define a lifestyle.

And the very fact that she deceived not only mushers, but also an entire film company, should be enough evidence right there that something must be done. The REAL boycott should be against the film festival, and I stand by my initial comment about lawsuit(s) too.

Edited by - RedWolf on 11/04/2016 03:22:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

IdahoMusher

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  1:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I saw a part of this documentary. It was pretty ugly. Apparent dead puppies, dogs getting drug around, some ugly old dude talking about culling. You'd never know some of us and our dogs are actually very pleasant from watching at least the snippet I saw.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckCubbison

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  8:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChuckCubbison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sooo, I'm curious. The article in the original post stated that:

"Krabloonik has been chosen as one of many North American dog-sledding businesses deemed to have humane practices for a documentary about the industry."

Is that really what happened, or were they just as deceived as everyone else? I wonder how they are portrayed in the movie (I know there are negative references to Krabloonik in the trailer). The letter written by one of the current owners of Krabloonik (as posted on the SDC front page) doesn't shed much light on that.
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  02:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's extremely likely, Chuck, that they were deceived; or, at the very least, that the so-called filmmakers just didn't use any footage that was positive. After all, *that* wouldn't have fit their actual agenda.

According to the recent story in the -Alaska Dispatch News-, the dead dog footage was from a person who never raced and wasn't even a musher. The article called him a "breeder". What he really was, as far as I can tell, was a hoarder. He wasn't part of the mushing lifestyle--but b/c he had Malamutes and Siberians, they figured nobody would ever know the difference and they could use it. And doG only knows how old the other footage they used is.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page