New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ChuckCubbison

USA
646 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChuckCubbison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am writing this because of the antitethering thread, but I felt that this deserved its own topic.

It's fine to have a discussion about how wrong are the attacks by the so-called "Animal Rights" crowd against our sport, but that kind of misses the point. We will never convince most of those people of our point of view and it's really a waste of our time and efforts. Trust me, I've seen the futility of that as I sat across the table from some of these people discussing kennel regulations, and specifically the tethering issue, in my state.

There is a battle underway, but the battle is NOT for the minds of the AR crowd...in the US, the battle is being waged in the halls of our local, state, and Federal government. The battle is for the support of legislators on all levels of our government...THEY are the ones who determine whether legislation (and many rules that are mandated by legislation) is written in a way that preserves our sport, or destroys it. If we have any hope of preserving our sport in the future, we are going to have to vigorously fight those battles. But unfortunately, at the moment, the mushing community really isn't even in the battle. We are being devoured like sheep being eaten by wolves. NO ONE in our community is immune to these attacks...if you think that harmful or crippling legislation can't come even to Alaska, you are naive.

I wish that some organization/group within the mushing community would step up and take on this fight. We need a political action committee; paid staff in Washington and in our state capitals; and a lot of efforts toward building coalitions with other groups of dog owners/other animal owners/and sportsmen. Rest assured that our adversaries already have all of these things in place through the support of the Humane Society of the Unitied States (HSUS). I doubt we have the will or the strength of numbers to launch such a fight...but I'd love to be proven wrong.

In the meantime, we've got to look to organizations that are already in the fight. The main one that I'm aware of is the American Kennel Club and its Government Relations program: http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/
In my opinion, ALL mushers should be aware of what the AKC is doing and should be giving financial support specifically to the Government Relations program. If there are other organizations out there that have similar programs, I'd love to hear about them.

Edited by - ChuckCubbison on 04/13/2011 09:20:19 AM

pcurtice

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote by ChuckCubbison - "I wish that some organization/group within the mushing community would step up and take on this fight. We need a political action committee; paid staff in Washington and in our state capitals; and a lot of efforts toward building coalitions with other groups of dog owners/other animal owners/and sportsmen. Rest assured that our adversaries already have all of these things in place through the support of the Humane Society of the Unitied States (HSUS). I doubt we have the will or the strength of numbers to launch such a fight...but I'd love to be proven wrong."

I agree with you.

Peter C. Curtice II
Ridgerunner Kennel
Go to Top of Page

snozilla

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  11:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit snozilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found this link from the legislation page (I think) a while back:
http://www.saova.org/
Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance
Go to Top of Page

Sinatra

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  12:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, althought admittedly the cirumstances are different.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/pubs/ccaps-spcca/sd-ct-final-eng.htm

Ralph Schade
Jenn Gastmeier
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  12:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are enough mushers to go it alone.

National Animal Interest Alliance is a combined group of various concerns.

www.naiaonline.org

Melissa
Sibertopia Sled Pets
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote

We have a link to National Animal Interest Alliance and the AKC legislative section at
http://www.sleddogcentral.com/legislative/alerts.htm

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

MusherChic

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MusherChic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats a very good point, Chuck.

Small 'N' Mighty Racing Sled Dogs
Find out what this teen and her dogs are up to @
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

pcurtice

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  8:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12 steps of the animal rights agenda.

http://www.dfow.net/animalrights.html

Peter C. Curtice II
Ridgerunner Kennel
Go to Top of Page

powderhound66

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  09:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit powderhound66's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still think that the best way to protect our sport is to carry out exceptional animal husbandry and to educate, rather than fight, those who are against us. Getting defensive is a sign that we have something to hide, even though most of us do not. I am confident that most of you who are concerned about this issue are proud of your kennels and dog care. That being said, our main goal is really to preserve our sport and way of life, not to try and alienate Animal Rights organizations. To me (I know I will get some flack for this, bring it on) the ideal would be to work with the animal rights organizations to PROMOTE proper animal care and to educate the general public about the happy, good lives of our working dogs.

I understand that there will always be more radical Animal Rights Movements and that no matter what, there will always be people attacking our sport. However there is a large number of people who raise sporting-dogs, and it will be difficult to bring us down if we continue to strive for ideal care for our canine partners.

Emily
For the Joy of the Ride!
www.powderhoundsracing.com
Go to Top of Page

brown906

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit brown906's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Powderhound, I like your sentiment, however without fighting back, the "animal rights" groups will win uncontested. The problem with democracy, is that it sometimes comes down to two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner. Make no mistake, the people pushing this, have no problem being the wolves.

I like the idea of a lobby, but I think it's somewhat unrealistic at this point. Lobbyists, at least good ones are really expensive. I don't see mushers as being numerous or affluent enough to maintain an effective effort alone. I think that the best first step would be to form a cohesive state level organization, that could join with other, somewhat like minded groups that already have a lobby structure, MUCC for example.
Go to Top of Page

Clint Martin

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  01:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Powderhounds, but I have to agree with Chuck. In my experience, an extremely high percentage of the AR people are quite unteachable, & unless you plan on dressing your dogs like your children & have them sit up at the family table eating the same food, you are not really treating them humanely according to them.

Clint Martin
Go to Top of Page

Clint Martin

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  01:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as strength in numbers go, being as how we have had a number of rodeo cowboys ride rodeo in the summer & drive a dog team in the winter, maybe we ought to consider joining ranks with the Rodeo Cowboy's Association as they many times are fighting the same kinds of battles that we face in the sled dog sport.

Clint Martin
Go to Top of Page

pcurtice

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quoted by Clint Martin - "Sorry, Powderhounds, but I have to agree with Chuck. In my experience, an extremely high percentage of the AR people are quite unteachable, & unless you plan on dressing your dogs like your children & have them sit up at the family table eating the same food, you are not really treating them humanely according to them."

Yes, firsthand experience with that...and that is what they want. Also a major portion of these AR activists are backed or being educated/trained by HSUS professionals. Michigan is new "meat" for them, and they will move on to their next target after Michigan. A pattern has been observed that shows HSUS officials becoming involved with many AR groups here in Michigan. If one was familiar with the sole purpose of HSUS, it would be easy to come to the conclusion that there is no room for discussion. They won't be satisfied, ever. It is discouraging that some of our local AR groups that purport to promote caring and responsible pet ownership are actually sleeping with an entity that has a goal to ban all animal ownership including all types of pets, also the activities of hunting, fishing, livestock farming, etc.

Good news is here in Michigan we have been in contact with other sporting dog organizations and other groups ensuring they are aware of this AR movement (Canine Tethering Ban). We have been assured that they are aware of it and keeping an eye on it along with themselves communicating to their own. I am hoping that as many as possible have voiced their concern to their state rep regarding this issue. We anticipate upcoming dialog with a national organization in hopes of discussing an effort in monitoring legislative attempts that will affect our sport negatively. Possibly a committee of individuals will be formed in order to provide information/education to others in order to challenge the AR movement in any state. In my opinion it is essential for your voice be heard by your state rep...if it is the least you can do. Anyway, details on that end may be forthcoming. Still, a long road to haul. I am conveyig this information as I receive it. I am aware of 2 individuals that deserve much credit who are putting forth a great effort to protect the rights of sleddog enthusiasts. If this attempt at legislation does find a sponsor, I firmly believe the AR group in Michigan will find they will have a serious battle on their hands.

Peter C. Curtice II
Ridgerunner Kennel
Go to Top of Page

mooselook

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  10:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to the DOGS website: http://nhdogs.org/

DOGS (Dog Owners of the Granite State) is an affiliation of New Hampshire pet and working dog owners organized to monitor and alert the public to legislation that would impact owners and their dogs. It's a great website and a great concept.

Cathleen

"There are some simple truths...and the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer
Go to Top of Page

brown906

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  8:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit brown906's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mooselook, thanks for the link, the group looks like a good organization, that could be copied in other states. As I posted in another thread, I don't think that mushers alone could be a big enough and vocal enough group to stand alone. Bringing different "dog people" together can go a long way. It would be important to make sure that mushers voices weren't lost in a group like this.
Go to Top of Page

Jen

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  03:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wisconsin has been hit as well, they just passed some anti-breeder legislation and there was nothing we could do about it. We even have a paid lobbyist for the DFOW and it didn't matter, it passed anyway. We absolutely have to fight back or we will most definitely be driven out of existence. A weight pull in Illinois had to be MOVED because the idiots in the city thought it was somehow linked to a dog fighting ring!! Yeah, it's a charity pull for malamute rescue but there was apparently no telling the townspeople that.

We're probably best off to throw in with the breeders, performance, and dog show people. We all have the same goal in the end I think and the more people who can band together, the better chance we will be heard.

Jen

Powderhound Alaskan Malamutes
See them at:
www.powderhoundmals.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page