Ely Trails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter McClelland

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  10:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do to some new leadership in the Kawishiwi district we are going to be getting a sled dog trail!

That is if it passes public review. I will let people know when it is up and hope that we can get a lot of letters sent in for it.

The goal for the trail is to provide a long run that would also access more miles of less used FS roads. It will have 2-3 trail accesses for parking. The total milage will be around 25-35 miles. So a doing as a loop will give a long run for distance mushers. There will be lots of little lakes that can be dropped onto for rest/camping. One good section will provide some wider and smother trails that would be good for sprint mushers.

On the whole it will be very diverse with rolling hill, swamps and lakes. And hopefully we will be able to make it longer in the future.

We use a lot of off shoots already so there is a lot more out there and I am always available to help plan routes.

When all is said and done I am hoping to have a weekend where people who think they will use the trail will come and help clear some of the new sections with us.

Peter

mag

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Peter! Keep us posted.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Linda Lange

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Linda Lange's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this Federal, State or County land?

LML

http://www.michigandogdrivers.org
Go to Top of Page

Peter McClelland

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  8:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Federal, Superior National Forest
Go to Top of Page

Linda Lange

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Linda Lange's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hooray! We are hoping to get our federal trails that we use for events "designated" as sled dog trails for the future.

Any success you have, may have a positive impact on what we are able to do too.

Let me know if we can be of any assistance and be sure to let us know how things progress. I have a .jpg copy of a sled dog trail sign with the Forest Service symbol at the bottom - so it's been done - it's more common on state lands though. Our treasurer (MiDD) did a lot of research on this a couple of years ago.

As it is now we have permits to use the trails, we are still opening up one new area this year and then I want to go for the full designation, public parking, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

LML

Go to Top of Page

Peter McClelland

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  07:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

We really need peoples help on this issue now. The Forest Service has released the plan for comment period and it would help a lot if people would do so in favor of the trail.

If you ever think you might come to the area and train please let them know. This needs to be done before June 7th.

You can see the plan and who to contact at: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/superior/projects/nepa_project.php?project=31556

thank you
Go to Top of Page

Linda Lange

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Linda Lange's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding! I will be sure to send the link to as many as possible. If you are successful with your project - it could positively impact what we are doing in our area of the Manistee National Forest, here in Baldwin, MI.

Thank you for the work you have put in so far!

LML

Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  2:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Peter,

We've added an article to our News Page with a prominent link on the homepage.

If we can be of further assistance, let me know.

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

Musical Musher

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2010 :  8:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter
Shoot me an e-mail. I have a few questions that need to be answered so I can sound half-way intelligent in my scoping response. Thanks

Ellen B-S
Go to Top of Page

Blake C

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  11:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blake C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I replied to JP - looks good, thanks for helping with this! I was in Alaska this April and ran the white mtns BLM trails. While there I dreamed about a system of similar cabins and trails(narrow with clear multiuse expectation) in Minnesota.

Will NF allow atv training on this trail or elsewhere?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

GRR

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the info Peter and thanks Judy for the push on the home page.
This would be great.
I have sent in my letter of support.
Hope to hear good news soon.
Keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page

Peter McClelland

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a tardy update.

This is going to happen for this winter. It will not be in its "final" form but it will exist. It is going to be a very diverse trail with swamps and uplands,lakes and other great features.

The one section that we were trading our old trail for the snowmobile trail was on hold, UNTIL TODAY. So we have to clear a section of new trail that I did not think we would have to until next year.

So If anyone has any time the would like to put into this, that would be great.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page