SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Thoughts on first "Race Year" for youngsters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Riverwind Posted - 04/09/2010 : 12:07:25 PM
Hey All,

I wanted to get some thoughts on the appropriate running methods for getting a yearling team through their first season of races (Race lengths, run times, run/rest schedules, etc...)

I am specifically interested in Long Distance here, but would welcome any tips, ideas or anecdotes from all disciplines.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Riverwind Posted - 04/12/2010 : 11:18:27 AM
During the actual race?
Norge Posted - 04/12/2010 : 07:49:58 AM
Hey Barry,
We will train our young dogs up to 8-9 hours continuous runs at a slow controlled speed. No breaks except a possible snack and a pet. They then get at least two days off, sometimes more. Prior to racing I would prepare them at expected race pace, if that's 10-12 mph I would limit my runs to about 6 hours max. Equal run rest, with no rest less than 4 hours if possible. Watch close and keep them within the limits of each individual. Drop a dog if it proves to much for that dog at that time.
Riverwind Posted - 04/12/2010 : 06:25:11 AM
Hey Lloyd,

Do you have a rough ratio of run to rest. I was thinking towards something in the area of a half and half program. That is adequate at least, but overkill perhaps?
Norge Posted - 04/11/2010 : 07:01:45 AM
Big rest for yearlings. We try to make sure the youngsters get adequate rest. speeds and distances are not as big a factor as the rest in our program.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page