SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Keeping Wolves away

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smushybanana Posted - 11/29/2007 : 11:05:14 PM
So, this year is a terrible year for wolves in the Fairbanks area. Several dogs already have been killed/eaten in dog yards this winter. Fish&Game is looking for information from anyone who has any experience keeping them away. So far the only thing known to work is a fenced dog yard. Does anyone else here have personal experience with this? Suggestions for things that work?

My yard personally is fenced, but we are compiling information for an article to help the mushing community in Fairbanks. Thanks.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
funhog Posted - 12/05/2007 : 1:25:03 PM
Back in the 70s we had a wolf pack with 4 members (a 4 pack?) living near us off of Jones Road in Goldstream Valley. They lived there about 2 years then the 3rd winter they started taking dogs out. I had an old husky who slept up on the porch and they tried pulling her off from the porch. We ended up dispatching them, I got 2 and my neighbor took the other 2 out, because they were such a bother to the welfare of our dogs. Kind of sad, they were such beautiful animals and for several years lived "in harmony".

good luck.
Rogue Posted - 12/05/2007 : 01:06:43 AM
Ok, so I'm actually serious about the hubby drinking that danged tea now! A wolf was in our driveway, up near our shop between the truck and the Karelian Bear Dog pen (our meat saw sits at the end of our shop). The Karelians were going ballistic, not just alarm barking, but the crazed barking they do when they have a bear or moose. The sled dogs were all silent, hiding in their houses. As soon as Manny heard the Karelians, he went outside with a headlamp to check things out and before he got off the porch, the wolf shot out from behind the truck and ran down the driveway. He said he grabbed the rifle and jumped on the atv, but it was gone. This was around 8pm tonight.

I went out about 30 minutes ago to take the little dogs out (9:30). I heard the Karelians growling, so I rushed the little dogs back in and Manny grabbed the rifle and headlamp again. We could hear a dog one road over barking and one of our sled dogs we got from Canada was growling and barking inside his dog house. Manny thinks the wolf circled around behind the shop through the woods. He walked the property and thinks he chased it off, as the dogs started coming out of their houses and the Karelians quieted down. That wolf wasn't even phased by our Karelians...though we think he was just checking out the meat saw and stayed out of the light. He's definitely still afraid of humans...so that's good. Still, the Karelians will be spending the night outside tonight.
Susan Evenden Posted - 12/03/2007 : 4:14:36 PM
I'm sitting here down in Arizona counting the days until I get home and can resume running with the dogs. This topic made my day.

I almost read it out loud to my husband but just know for certain he wouldn't understand.

32 days...

Years ago I promised him we could spend the Christmas of 2007 in Arizona.... It seemed like a long way away, funny how quickly the years passed and here I am. (He tried to pull it off for next year too, but I caught him in the act and stomped out that fire pretty quickly.)
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 12/03/2007 : 3:29:30 PM
Dori I love that movie(and book) even if it does drift from fact and is a bit Disney. The best part is when Brian O'Dennahy(ex. sp) needs to repair the frozen gas line on his Cessna at 6000 ft by beating on a frozen gas line with a crecent wrench. LOL "Ya know what's wrong with people these days Mowat? Boredom Mowat- Boredom I love that line.

Anyway right on!! If you want to scare wolves of with urine ya gotta have a good supply of Moosehead Beer.

Rogue Posted - 12/03/2007 : 2:55:31 PM
Ok, I'm laughing my butt off here! Too funny!

All I've heard is that 3 wolves were trapped last week near Rosehip. They were extremely skinny. Don't know if they were from the pack roaming around...but seems likely. Fish & Game is following it up. Heard that a day or two later, some folks chased 2 wolves out of their yard. My best buddy found wolf scat on Friday with black dog-like hair in it (probably from the neighbor's lab that was hit by a car, then eaten), and again on Saturday. Saturday's scat had course brown hair...she said looked like moose. I hope so, cause maybe they'll stay away from the neighborhoods now.
vetbills Posted - 12/03/2007 : 12:37:43 PM
I can't believe I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee and reading about all of you peeing on trees! LOL. Only a musher could appreciate this. My old leader used to pee right on the spot I did...she was a very dominant girl. The current elderly matriarch is careful to pee beside my spot...not quite as dominant.
It's been quiet in terms of the wolves. I heard through the musher's grapevine that some had been trapped but nothing has been confirmed. Maybe Rogue knows?
Now maybe we can stop worrying about wolves and focus on our snow dances!
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 12/03/2007 : 11:05:50 AM
Well Uhhumm! Living here in the woods and in a cabin with one very tiny bathroom it's often alot easier for me to "water" the old oak tree out back than wait for my spouse to get done.
Many times the dogs follow suit and I've learned it's a good housebreaking aid even for older dogs. Kinda gets right to the point what we are out there for. Be forewarned, with puppies they don't always wait till you finish before they try marking the spot.. Can get messy. It's a real way to communicate with your dog on their level. I believe they are hard wired to believe your just part of the pack and they figure they need to follow your lead and add their mark.
Also have you noticed how height is important. One dog will try to aim higher on a post or tree than the previous. Not sure if it's about dominance or if it just smells stronger/better that way. And then they sniff with approval when their done.
onehappyautumn Posted - 12/03/2007 : 09:46:16 AM
One time while out hiking with Pumpkins and Patches the call of nature came upon me. I found a tree, had a squat, shooed the dogs away and let go... As I was going Pumpkins circled around and lifted his leg and peed on the same spot (NOT on me!) at the same time as me.

While initally appaled I now wonder if this was some kind of bonding thing....
mooselook Posted - 12/02/2007 : 10:08:48 AM
Our dogs engage in "pissing contests" all the time...our GIRL dogs! It cracks me up to see the four little Prima Donnas all trying to get in the last word.

Cathleen
Shawn Posted - 12/02/2007 : 07:37:40 AM
Well Pete I have to say you made my morning. Must be one interesting day in the kennel around your home.HAHA...
pcurtice Posted - 12/02/2007 : 07:32:20 AM
So that's why wolves never come up into our yard. I am always taking a leak in or around the kennel. My wife does too on occassion. I hope it's my urine and not hers warding off the wolves! Actually we do have a wolf population near us, but only have had brief sightings or seen tracks while training. No problems so far. Has anyone played peeing wars with their male dogs? You know while they are running loose go ahead and take a leak and watch them go and pee over yours? Then you go again, then they go again and so on. Never have won one yet. I always run out before them. Actually have seen them sit there and wait for me to get done. It's like they look at me and say "go ahead, I'm going to pee over it as soon as you are done anyway".
Rogue Posted - 12/01/2007 : 11:39:59 PM
Ha ha ha!! Yep, have read that one. Ok, I'm getting the tea out!
Dori Posted - 12/01/2007 : 12:33:16 PM
You guys will all need to read "Never Cry Wolf" He tells you exacctly how to stake your territory.
swanny Posted - 12/01/2007 : 11:29:32 AM
"He had a bold, bluffing way about him, rocking on his feet, barking when a fox or coyote came in."

I understand that is the 'first level' response that Anatolians were selected for and is part of the 'Orient' phase of the whole canine hunting chain (orient - eye or stalk - chase - grab bite - kill bite - dissect - consume). It's really interested to see Seamus 'up on his toes' making a horrible ruckus over a bunny wabbit or something, but he does.

I read that Anatolian Shepherd Dogs have been clocked free running at over 30 miles per hour. My Seamus doesn't have close to that kind of speed, but he's nonetheless a really fun sled dog and a great 'buddy' as well.

Swanny
krakenrsh Posted - 12/01/2007 : 08:17:17 AM
Our dog yard is fenced. Every spring we get a pack of 4-5 wolves crossing Slate River Valley looking for plentiful deer. Problem is that their route crosses through our property and the last several years they meander right by the dog yard. Up to last spring they just caused a stir, last spring I was awaken at 4:00am to the dog yard erupting, when I went outside to check I found 3 wolves trying to dig through the still frozen earth under our perimeter fencing. They have become bolder. I waved my flash light at them and made a bunch of noise, although the dogs were doing enough of that, and they hesitantly walked away, all the while looking over their shoulders. They returned for 4 straight nights, without digging, but gazing at the dogs. They must of eventually killed deer because they never came back. I will await to see what happens this spring.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page