SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Cable tuglines

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rucadogkennel Posted - 11/19/2007 : 3:43:23 PM
Does anyone use or have thoughts about cable tuglines? Would they cause any undue stress to the dogs bodies or have any other negative aspects?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cricket Posted - 12/04/2007 : 7:21:55 PM
I have used both kinds and find tht the poly lines are better all around easier to work with safer for the dogs and in a emergency who carries cable utters for a tangled neck after a accident.but yet every one has a knife
melomanemusher Posted - 12/03/2007 : 5:15:15 PM
i only use cable coated ganglines on all the sleds we used for tourism, all of them got a bungee line for the jerkers, so that means for 30 sleds. way easier to fix when you bring them back at the shop, since im the shop master, but in the woods, you have to carry extra parts, mainly necklines that are easy to make. our dogs spend most of the day with their harness on , they chew on harnesses and on the lines but, we try to teach them not to, but anyways you know dogs, once your back is turn from them, chaos will happen, maybe maybe not you would say but.

i would love to use rope, way easier to cut if needed, light weight, comes in all colors, but wouldnt last a full week with the dogs in the kennel, except for the racing team who has been trained by my boss.

once you buy the roll of cable , teflon pucks, hardware and the big pincher pliers used for plumbing, really easy to make.

if i only had 6 to 8 dogs to take instead of 265, i would use rope.

simon
huskyhauler Posted - 12/02/2007 : 06:55:00 AM
On two different occasions last winter I saw cable GANGLINES that broke under the poly coating. Both from different manufacturers. The cable appeared to have been kinked and wore out were it couldn't be seen until after it snapped. Both times part of the team of dogs took off and had to be chased down. One resulted in a seriously injured dog. I would think a cable tug wouldn't have any "give" and possibly lead to back injuries more readily than standard poly tugs that actually stretch and contract somewhat with the motion of the dog.
North Point Kennels Posted - 11/28/2007 : 11:47:25 AM
Mushpuppy, sorry...I was refering to cable-filled poly
mushpuppy Posted - 11/28/2007 : 09:54:47 AM
If a tugline were to wear out, it would only be on one of the ends. The ends wouldn't be covered in poly, so yes, you would be able to see it...right?
North Point Kennels Posted - 11/21/2007 : 2:30:40 PM
If a poly tugline is wearing down you can see and repair/replace it. If a cable line is covered in poly you can not see the wear. They will break and you don't know it untill it is too late.
mushpuppy Posted - 11/21/2007 : 10:57:20 AM
I would never use one. I have had too many tangles where a tugline gets wrapped around a leg and that hurts the dog enough as it is, I cant imagine a CABLE tugline! Although I guess a poly-coverd cable might be a better option if for some reason you had to use one.
smushybanana Posted - 11/19/2007 : 3:51:55 PM
No, I don't like them, because, yes, they do cause stress to the dogs. A cable doesn't have the minor stretch and shock-absorbing properties of a polyline/other rope, so more of that stress of any jerking gets put on the dog. Also it is unsafe because you can't cut through it in an emergency. The only case I would use cable tugs with my team was a double leader tug, when running an incorrigible line-biter behind. Just with this one dog, everything in reach had to be cable. I got a cable double-leader tug after he cut them loose a couple of times . I used to use some cable necklines though, and I swear by cable ganglines. I just don't see a good reason to use cable for tugs.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page