SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Signs of being addicted to sledding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
needtosled Posted - 12/21/2003 : 5:46:48 PM
Signs of being addicted

You know you have a problem with being addicted to dog sledding and your dogs when:

*In your spare time you sit and watch the weather channel while you relax and make more ganglines

*you say to your partner " I promise honey this is the last litter"

*after you have said the above you secretly pick out the next stud.

*you forget to pick up the kids from school because you just got the most amazing snow fall and just had to go sledding

*you wake up in the middle of the night run down stairs to make final changes to the main team line up.

*you spend more time reading the labels on dog food bags than you do your own food.

*you no longer understand anyone who does not think freezing your butt off behind a team of dogs is the best way to relax.

*Your gloves smell like raw meat and your snow bottoms and boots smell like dog pee, and you don't notice anymore, or for that sake don't even care.

*summer has just arrived and you are planning the training schedule for fall.

*your concerned that Christmas and your wedding anniversary will interfere with your racing dates

this was written by my husband who thinks I really have a problem :-) Merry christmas every one happy mushing

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kissAnew Posted - 01/02/2017 : 7:34:02 PM
The dog yard's lawn is mowed more often than mine
I spend more time cutting firewood for cooking dog food on the wood burnning cook stove than I do cutting firewood for the home furnace
My doghouses are built with more thought than mine
My dog yard office/shop is built better than my house
The shed where I keep my mushing gear is far more organized than my closet
My dogs' straw bedding gets changed more often than my sheets
My dog yard is prettier than mine
I cook far more often for my dogs than I do for my kids
I spend more money on dog food in a week than I do on "Chinese Food" in a year.(& I love "Chinese Food")
I spend more time hand stitching harnesses into new configurations than I do mending my own clothes
I spend more $ on harnesses than my own clothes
I spend more $ on winter boots and wool socks in 1 year than I do on oxfords and "dress socks" in 15 years
I hardly leave home anymore because I don't trust anyone to look after my dogs like I think they should be looked after
I apologize like,"oooooooo my poor (girl or boy) I'm am so sorry for stepping on your tail." as I kneel and caress my dog while if a human accidentally bumps me at the mall or post office I will practically growl and snap at them
I would rarher be 10 miles to go home with a deer(meat) on the sled on the trail in a blizzard @-30*C @ 830pm than being in a crowd at a friends pre-wedding social @ 830PM
I think people whining about the winter should just leave and don't bother coming back......ever.... Because we don't need the any weird people around here(( I guess there's only 4 people out the +or-7900 that aren't weird. Me(20 dogs), my niece(10 dogs),my buddy(5dogs) down the road and the bachelor trapper(6dogs)that lives by himself in the bush 10 miles south of me. Everyone else doesn't like winter))
I like early short falls, long winters and late springs
......AND... I can honestly and humbly relate to most of the other symptoms I've read in this thread
Happy Trails everyone. Keep on mushing. Everyone else is crazy.
Camera-dog Posted - 05/19/2012 : 10:26:09 PM
you have more mushing sights in your favorits than any other sight
you look fore mushing and handling jobs
you have huskys with sleds in your dreams
TWarren Posted - 05/12/2011 : 3:56:59 PM
*When you think of the things listed here as common sense while your family thinks its hilarious.
*when your parents are away your favorite husky gets to come in side.
*when you seceretly empty the fridge of all leftover meats for your skinnier dogs.
*when you wonder why some people don't consider doing a 25 mile training run in the middle of the nigh, when its minus 20 fun.
RockChalk Posted - 04/03/2011 : 3:35:25 PM
When you move away from a large kennel and within two days of leaving wake up 5 times to dreams about the dogs, dog yard or sledding.
midnightwind Posted - 04/03/2011 : 3:22:40 PM
you're listed on the "single musher" thread on SDC
MusherChic Posted - 04/03/2011 : 2:22:41 PM
You have a whole notebook dedicated to future dog names but when people ask you what you plan on naming your children you draw a blank.

Over half of the friends on your Facebook friends list are mushers.

(for the girls) Your definition of make-up is Chapstick (for lipstick), dog kisses (for moisterizer), and frozen snowflakes (for mascara).

Rogue Posted - 01/14/2011 : 07:57:41 AM
When you get out of dogs, move completely out of Alaska to the "Lower 48" and still dream of running dogs in your sleep. Seriously. It's worse than a chemical addiction! And it's been over 2 years that I've been "sled-dogless". LOL!
TeamChester Posted - 01/13/2011 : 9:23:14 PM
Ditto Cac!! ;D ;D ;D
Cac Posted - 01/13/2011 : 2:20:22 PM
When you check this site more than once a day
you just Check for dogs to add to your kennel
you think about dog sledding all day
you wish you were on the back of the runners when you can't
you make future goals/plans when your not able to reach them just yet
you add anybody as a friend on Facebook if they are a dog musher
livengood Posted - 01/11/2011 : 9:56:24 PM
When you absent-mindlessly tell the truck to "whoa."
RockChalk Posted - 01/11/2011 : 2:19:04 PM
When you groom trails more then you groom yourself.
When you own more harnasses and dog jackets then articles of clothing.
When you spend more time driving dogs then you do driving a vehicle(to non-dog related events.)
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/02/2011 : 07:45:08 AM
She says Honey -it's either me or the dogs.

He replys I'll help you pack your bags.

swanny Posted - 01/02/2011 : 01:16:41 AM
You know you're addicted when you holler "trail" to make it through a crowd on the sidewalk.

You know your living in a mushing oriented community when the crowd parts to give you that trail.... <BG>

Hey, it works in the Walmart in Fairbanks sometimes...
Sinatra Posted - 01/01/2011 : 11:03:33 AM
Well, we did it! All the dogs got a frozen turkey neck at midnite and Jenn and I shared a bottle on non-alcoholic champagne in the dog yard.Someone far off was lighting fireworks in the night sky.The dogs thought we were nuts, what with waking them up at that hour, but loved the attention! It was their first New Year party as a team.
RockChalk Posted - 01/01/2011 : 10:41:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Born2mush

1.When you change the lyrics of songs to mushing songs.

Haha I do a pretty good rendition of "these dogs were made for pullin!" (to the tune of these boots were made for walkin.)

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page