SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Dogs and Wolves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
David Lowry Posted - 04/20/2001 : 2:12:43 PM
I've been reading Fread Bear's Field Notes and he mentions that his Yukon Territory outfitter, who lived there all his life, once had his dogs picketed outside a trapper cabin and wolves killed and ate the dogs.

To those who have run the trapline or been in remote areas, what are the risks of picketing dogs and leaving them for awhile? I can think of a number of things I'd like to do on a remote trip, where I'd like to leave the dogs behind for awhile: climb a peak, hunt, etc.

David Lowry

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jeremie Posted - 01/01/2008 : 02:33:12 AM
Heads up Annie Lake Road,Yukon. We were just racing at the GinGin this weekend. While our housesitters were here in the wee hours of the morning, a wolf went through our kennel and picked out one of our biggest males. Tracks were all over the kennel, so it appears this was a deliberate choice. The wolf ripped apart Bonzai's entire neck. Due to human intervention, the wolf did not manage to gnaw Bonzai off his chain, but it looks like that was his goal.
Our fault completely, we have only gotten our kennel partially fenced. Despite this, we are devastated to lose a really good yearling. A bottle of whiskey to anyone who brings me the wolf....
cowan Posted - 12/18/2007 : 08:06:06 AM
There are some basic "rules" about predators, and all of the posts on this topic support them 100%. All the posters probably already know the rules...but in case any of you that read do not and are about to place yourselves or your dogs in or out of... team, tie out, in your yard... situations where you could have wolves...here they are. The only reason I am writing them is because I run across so very many people who do not know there are "rules" that humans did not come up with first.

If you serve them, they will come. If predators are hungry enough they will go where there is something to eat, no matter if it has hooves, paws or feet.

Nothing works like success. If they have gotten served, they will return. In the case of one post here the wolves had been successful and NOTHING deterred them until they were destroyed...the others of the pack, not having partaken of the success, either departed the locality or did not take up the activity of "eatin' doggies".

Everybody has to eat someone. Predators, all predators, will take the easy opportunity if it is offered and they are hungry enough to outweigh the risks. Don't get mad at the predators...Nature has genetically engineered them to take these opportunities as the ones of their species who did not perished and did not carry on the line.

These rules abide no matter what stupid humans may think to the contrary. Doesn't seem to matter if the predators fly or walk or swim. So play by the rules...the rules, and the predators, were there long before us. And EVERYTHING is prey (even predators) at some point...you, me, our children, the dogs, the wolves...so understand the rules.

nancy cowan (who has been bitten, punctured, kicked and bloodied but never eaten 'cause I learned the rules and try to always follow them)

grandma Posted - 12/09/2007 : 11:43:59 AM
Over here our wolves tend to come on two legs, we enclose our dogs at night, giving them more room in the day, so we know exactly where they are!

Cliff Maxfield Posted - 12/08/2007 : 07:47:02 AM
About five years ago an older female wolf and a young male were killing calves not to far from us. DNR tranquilized them, put shock collars on them in addition to their tracking collars. Shock boxes were installed all along the fence of the calving pasture. It never even phased them. They took the pain, jumped the fence and continued to kill calves. The depredation continued until the two culprits were destroyed. Once destroyed the rest of the pack dispersed for a couple years. They are back in the general area but no longer kill livestock. We do have a high deer population so pickings are easy. We've never had any problems with wolves but did have a wolf hybrid running with two feral dogs that had to be destroyed by authorities because they attacked and killed a neighbors dog.
Around here we are far more fearfull of feral dogs than wolves. A band crop up every few years and have little fear of man.
Karal Posted - 12/08/2007 : 07:08:43 AM
What about hot wire. It's a lot cheaper the chain link.
Gracie Posted - 12/07/2007 : 3:06:14 PM
No doubt fencing IS expensive vetbills, but I found doing a small bit at a time was affordable. The peace of mind it has given me is way more than worth the price of the fencing itself. I must have $5000 easily in fencing at my place and there is no way I could afford all of that at once!

Permafrost shouldn't deter you from fencing, you don't have to go underground. I just bend the fencing inward at the bottom and add fencing to that so they can't climb under it. They've stopped trying to escape now though!

I suspect even the cheapest, 4ft fencing would be enough of a deterrent.
vetbills Posted - 12/07/2007 : 1:46:25 PM
I think there are a number of reasons Grandma. For us there are two main ones - expense and where we live. Our dog yard is 80' X 100'....that's a lot of fence and things in Fairbanks aren't cheap. We also live in an area of heavy perma-frost which makes any kind of construction project very difficult and expensive. In the summer we often need to move dogs into the trees at the back of the yard because as the ground thaws the poles get very wobbly.
Next summer we are hoping to lay a gravel pad out there in the yard which will hopefully make things drier for our crew. This year I hauled in umpteen wheelbarrow loads of wood chips, courtesy of my neighbor, and that really helped.
I guess for us too we have weighed out the risks. We've taken steps to reduce our risks of losing a dog to the wolves - move the little dogs into the middle of the yard, keeping the yard clean of food, emptying our pee bucket around the perimeter of the yard etc. I think we've done every reasonable thing to ensure our dogs safety. For now I'd rather direct our financial resources into good food and quality equipment.
grandma Posted - 12/06/2007 : 4:50:30 PM
why dont people fence the dog yards?
SharkyX Posted - 12/06/2007 : 12:04:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by laughing husky

We were running 17 MPH by speedometer and the wolf had a beautiful easy lope right in back....like 6-10' in back of me.

Wolves (Grey Wolf anyways) has a top speed of about 40mph and are apparently able to maintain this speed for a significant length of time in a chase (20 minutes or something like that)..
So yeah the 17mph would be a nice easy job for a wolf. Would have been really neat to watch though.
rebelgtp Posted - 12/05/2007 : 3:49:42 PM
hmmm that would make kind of a cool picture a team running and in the background a like numbered pack of wolves hmmm...

personally i've had a couple occasions where i have been camping and had a wolf wander into my camp. had one hang around my camp and follow me around for about a week once when camping. actually now that i think about it there hasn't been a time i have gone camping when something hasn't wandered into my camp. worst was raccoons coming in at night and my friends st bernard trying to get out of the tent to get them
laughing husky Posted - 12/05/2007 : 3:30:57 PM
I know this is an old thread, but the subject arises again. Although I live on the outskirts of Anchorage, my team of 14 dogs were followed by a "lone" wolf last year for almost a mile. The other team that I was running behind had a couple of wolves criss cross in front of him. It was quite a sight to have a wolf follow you on an ATV. At first the wolf was in front of the team and stopped them dead....They hunkered down, ears flat....and not a sound although we were only 4 miles into a 25 mile run....so they were still hot to trot...then the wolf circled round the back, and I decided to get the heck out of Dodge, and it followed us for about a mile. We were running 17 MPH by speedometer and the wolf had a beautiful easy lope right in back....like 6-10' in back of me.
n/a Posted - 06/06/2001 : 6:55:52 PM
A good friend of mine was running his pack of bear dogs in northern Wisconsin(Douglas County) about four years ago. His dogs had tracking collars on and he noticed one young female plot hound strangely heading away from the pack then the signal faded away. His partners saw three wolves cross the road and they found some of her hair and blood at the location where she separated from the pack. Another friend of mine(Burnett County Wi.) had to put down a Siberian female because her right hind leg was just about gone. DNR said it was done by a bear but I personally went out to check the area and there were no bear tracks but several wolf tracks. Like has already been mentioned "It's a wolf eat dog world out there".

John Wood Posted - 04/22/2001 : 6:14:58 PM
Joe,
You will get a kick out of this. In early January, I went up to Manley to train at Joee's and was using the Tofty road back to Fish Lake when I came up on a mutual acquaintance of ours on a snowmachine next to the trail. As I was passing, our friend yanked something off of the back of the snowmachine as I was passing and all of my dogs instantly and unanimously veered as far away from him as they could get. He had just trapped a wolverine and was holding it up to show me. The dogs, although they have been raised in city conditions, obviously knew the reputation of the wolverine and they did not want anything to do with it. After getting a little chuckle out of the situation, he and I untangled the mess and went about our business. Then he did the same thing to Linda who was training that day also and her dogs did the exact same thing. Your earlier comments about Manley reminded me of the incident and, yes, there are a lot of wolves in that Manley/Tanana area and plenty of stories of them coming into dogyards. Incidentally, just finished the house in Willow and will be moving the bulk of our kennel up there in the next several weeks. Drop on by for a cup of coffee when you are in the area. JOHN

JM Posted - 04/22/2001 : 1:06:44 PM
John
At Manley one winter as I recall quite a few dogs were sniped off the edge of several dog yards.

It's indeed an education to see first hand the interaction between wolves and sled dogs when under way. It needs to be seen to be understood and even then it's difficult to describe. There's a beauty to it makes the hair sort of stand on end. The dog's ruffs are up, their ears are flat, and they seemed to me to try to become invisible by hunkering down lower even as they run.

I've always thought of wolves as "self employed" dogs..Joe

joe may
John Wood Posted - 04/22/2001 : 12:45:00 PM
JM, I was happy to see that others have had the same experience as I with wolves pacing the team. Five or six years ago while training on Chlupach's trails, I had a large black wolf running parallel to the team about 50 yards to the side and it paced us for about 1/2 mile or so. It was beautiful and made me wish that I could capture that easy moving lope. Like your experience, it never showed any aggressiveness and I considered myself fortunate for being able to be a part of that experience. I have also run into wolves somewhat frequently when training in the Nenana hills and they have gone about their business and have not bothered the dogyard. Interestingly enough, my kennel is on the outskirts of Anchorage and we have had wolves come right up to the perimeter fence to court one of the females that was in season. Having said all of this, I still have a dog in the kennel that I got from Clyde Mayo and the dog's father was eaten right off it's chain in fish camp. So, I guess that you can never totally predict a wild creature's behavior. It will do what it needs to do to survive. If the wolf is hungry or horny, your chances of running into a confrontation are increased but still minute. My experience shows that when threatened, wolves will flee rather than attack.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page