Salmon eggs

Printed from: SDC Talk!
Topic URL: https://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12405
Printed on: 12/17/2017

Topic:

Topic author: Linda Lange
Subject: Salmon eggs
Posted on: 08/26/2013 11:50:50 AM
Just had a neighbor offer to save me the eggs from the salmon he is catching.

Anyone feed these to their dogs? He's willing to put them in ziplock bags for freezing.

Replies:

Reply author: D.Heilbrunn
Replied on: 08/26/2013 6:00:06 PM
No way, don't give em to the dogs - eat em yourself!

Reply author: Log Dog
Replied on: 08/27/2013 12:42:16 AM
Cook them first, but you should absolutely give them to your dogs. They will love them.

An interesting historical bit about salmon eggs: A generation or two ago, Yupik people would keep a barrel at their fish cleaning area to put all the salmon eggs in. They'd through all the eggs in the barrel through the summer and let them ferment and gel up. I'm told they got pretty ripe, but that barrel of eggs served as the winter fat supply for the sled dogs. They would chip out frozen chunks with an axe and throw it in the dog pot to cook with the fish and other stuff.

Ever seen how a brown bear eats salmon out of a stream? When the fish are plentiful they eat the eggs and brain and leave the rest to get another fish. Even bears recognize salmon eggs as an excellent fat source.

Kyle

Reply author: Linda Lange
Replied on: 08/27/2013 8:13:19 PM
Hmmm...cook them first? We do feed raw meat to the dogs so they are used to that. Cook them to kill parasites? These are Lake Michigan salmon - I have some concerns about chemical issues (the DNR has recommendations on not eating them daily.)

Do salmon eggs have a concentration of chemicals from the environment, more so or less so than salmon fat? This person trims the fat off the fish that he keeps to eat. Says the DNR showed him how to trim them to minimize the chemical load.

Replied on: 08/27/2013 10:25:06 PM
I'm sure they could eat them raw. My dogs don't like them raw, too rich I think which is odd because they eat every thing that swims, walks for flies around here. Maybe your dogs will like them raw.

Glad I'm not feeding Lake Michigan salmon to my dogs or my family. Ours is wild caught Bristol Bay sockeye, Chinook, coho, chum and pink. Wild caught salmon is the finest protein source on the plant for man or beast! Pardon the shameless plug but we're proud of our fish around here.

Kyle

Reply author: Dougskijors
Replied on: 08/28/2013 08:35:28 AM
Hi;
Any fatty tissue (including eggs) is more problematic than lean tissue, since cumulative toxins partition into fats.
But dogs are short-lived, and sleddogs are lean, so I would not worry too much about cumulative toxicity, unless the source is severely contaminated.
Regulations are aimed to limit disease probability in long-lived, relatively fatty humans.

Reply author: balzakjeff
Replied on: 08/28/2013 1:04:12 PM
Lake Michigan Salmon are at risk of PCB accumulations and fall under the State's fish advisory of limiting meals especially to those that are pregnant, breast feeding, may get pregnant, and children. Smaller fish have less PCB accumulation and the advisories usually account for this.

Several reports I found indicated that salmon eggs can be very high in PCB, one report of .46-9.50 mg PCB per kg of eggs, which appears to be potentially much higher than the flesh of a correctly cleaned fish. This report noted that non-salmon species eating salmon spawn were accumulating significant amounts of PCB simply from eating these eggs.

If they were my dogs, personally, I'd skip feeding eggs, at least large amounts of them and would avoid feeding any to dogs that are still developing/growing. And, because PCB's has some of its greatest affects on fetuses and newborns I'd definitely not feed eggs to any dogs that are pregnant, lactating or even ones I was planning to breed.

Jeff

Replied on: 08/28/2013 9:28:30 PM
Jeff,

My dogs eat salmon eggs (along with the rest of the fish) from the womb to the grave. You're welcome to come by and see how unhealthy my dogs are.

What do you think dogs ate for the thousands of years before someone made kibble and put it in a bag?

Kyle

Reply author: D.Heilbrunn
Replied on: 08/29/2013 08:15:17 AM
Linda, I take it back, don't eat em! Guys, there's a big difference between the pollutants found in Great Lakes' fish and northern fish. Then again, some pollutants swirl northward (like mercury) and get into our fish and whales up here too, so you gotta be careful how much you eat. Is there a problem with mercury and fish in some parts of Alaska?

Reply author: balzakjeff
Replied on: 08/29/2013 11:58:17 AM
Just so I'm clear, I'm talking about Great Lakes fish - many species which have been contaminated with PCB's and/or mercury during the last century of industrialization.

I'm far from an extremist. I and my wife eat Lake Superior lake trout 1 to 2 meals a week. But we only eat cleaned fillets and we don't eat the skin. When I cook them I grill them which helps render some of the fat out as well (a coating of olive oil helps keep them from drying out). In fact I'm eating left over trout right now as I type this. But we are done having kids. I am much more limited, in amounts, servings per month and fish size, with the grand kids. Then again, they prefer shrimp and calamari over fish anyway, lol.

Jeff

Reply author: Linda Lange
Replied on: 08/29/2013 1:59:25 PM
Thanks for the discussion. Bummer about the contamination, I was afraid it may be an issue.

My dogs are all older, spayed and neutered, probably won't be an issue with them.

Reply author: RSmith
Replied on: 08/30/2013 06:18:22 AM
I wouldn't feed too much of ANY part of the Salmon from the Great Lakes. Once or Twice a month maybe as treats. Even cooked.

The Salmon run here off Lake Ontario and the Salmon River has just begun as well and I get the carcass after filleting and put in my compost pile for my hops plants. lol
I wouldn't even feed them to my dogs.

They still have environmental contamination ( Bioaccumulation ) from a century of pollution, smelting and other bad practices before the clean air act came into play.

People eat the Salmon but recommendations are one salmon 'steak' or fillet per month. Not sure about dogs but I would think 2 X per month is max.

SDC Talk! : https://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/

© Sled Dog Central

Close Window