Posted - 12/05/2016 :  2:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Members,

I was wondering what the driver would eat on the
trail on a long distance race?

Keeping in mind things such things as easy to prepare/heat,
nutrition value etc.

All comments are welcomed.

Devante.

There's a world of difference between knowing what to do an DOING IT!!

Edited by - k_21_au on 12/05/2016 3:15:42 PM

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  02:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This info will be a bit outdated, since it's from the March 2004 -Alaska- magazine article about mushers' food on the Iditarod, but here's a rundown of some of the items mentioned as trail food:

MREs, cheese, Chips Ahoy cookies, Snickers and Skittles (eaten by Jon Little).

Smoked salmon, steamed broccoli, spaghetti with bread (DeeDee Jonrowe).

Shrimp with angelhair pasta, Mongolian beef, peas, corn, liver pate, blueberries, cantaloupe, poppyseed muffins (Martin Buser--and that's only about 1/2 of what's listed for him).

"Stuff that thaws out easily" (Ramey Smyth).

Pizza, steak with A-1 sauce, lasagna, brownies and pumpkin bread (Tim Osmar).

Dried fish, dried meat, "cheesy things", French toast, steaks, candy and "all the greens you can think of" (John Baker).

The article also has a picture of Mitch Seavey eating some scrambled eggs, s piece of toast with dark-colored jelly (grape or blueberry?), and what looks like a few potatoes.

In other words, mushers usually eat whatever they know will taste good and provide both energy and nutrition. Hope this helps....
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  4:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not a racer. I've never raced. I do go longer distances with my teams. However it is usually just venturing/exploring nowadays. I dislike snomos and the noise and smell of them.

I am personally not a fan of gourmet style cooking/eating on the trail. I prefer nutrition over taste and asthetically pleasing cuisine.
I like eating red meat. I prefer moose, deer, or elk. But they're all lean. Buffaloe is decent but I find I need more fat. I am not a fan of beef fat although if it is pasture raised and finished it'll do in a pinch.
Fish. Pretty much whole fish. A whole bunch of vits and mins in one small neat little package.
Eyeballs, brain, liver, eggs, innards(cleaned), gills, skin(descaled), fat, the whole thing except for bones. Fish pemmican with mixed endemic nuts and berries is good.
Christmas cake(fruitcake?).
Dried mixed fruits, berries and nuts.
Extra fat.
Fat is necessary when you are operating outdoors in winter. Real fat.
Not processed stuff like vegetable oil, corn oil or even olive oil. I feel olive oil is the lesser of the evils bit it does make things slippery. Diarrhea is not fun on the trail.
Fat is good for cold weather activity so long as it is not heated to above 250*. That's when it turns bad for you. So boiled fat
Also hydrogenated stuff is no good. I hate margarine.
I am not proponent to cereal grain products. I've found for me its like feeding cattle straw. It's just fill. Like chocolate bars. Hollow.
So, proteins and fats(omega) especially and a treat of Christmas cake and mixed nuts and berries. . I like centrum vitamins too. And water. Make sure you have water. Mineralized water is better. Like from a pond, lake or river.
Muskeg tea and wild mint. Maybe Maple syrop for sweetener but licorice root is better. White sugar is not only not good for us it actually bad for us.
No bovine milk products. They either bind or loosen. Very seldom it's pretty.
To me it's common sence. That said what is common for me may not be for you and what is common for you may not be for me.
Do some homework, experiment and settle on what works for you.
But make sure it works before you're 75 miles out with another 75 to go and you're vomiting, skiddering, coughing, shivering, dehydrated and somewhat delirious from it all.
Good luck and happy trails.

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])

Edited by - kissAnew on 11/22/2017 5:01:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page