Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GregB

148 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  6:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tranny-

Agreed, you need excellent skills in all areas to make it to the top. BUT, you can't be successful without excellent dogs. And that's what this topic is about, how to breed excellent dogs. Just my 2C.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

SharkyX

Canada
681 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  07:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit SharkyX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krakenrsh

Tim (SharkyX),
Your analogies have many holes and inaccuracies.

Paul

Likely because I'm trying to recall some information I heard in a film about 10 months ago.
Go to Top of Page

Trannyman

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Right on, my point is put the skills up there then breed the best dogs thats what Terry does, Ellis does too! Both will outcross gsp,english pointer etc.. Always top Alaskan Husky blood somewhere close.Egill is breeding husky back in now just an FYI! That's the diffirence with racing dogs verus dog shows it's what place you finish. Lots of people have bred to Mike, Odin, Hop etc.. Same guys are tough to beat, Kenny is basing alot on his own quote line and doing very well, coming on strong, more than breeding. Lots of copycat breeding out there with limited success, not a bad place to start foresure but everyone has to look at the whole picture! Goodday
Go to Top of Page

nwalek

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  10:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any examples of matings with Marthe
http://www.stamtavla.no/remotedogdetail.asp?dogid=13952
on both the dam side and sire side?

Edited by - nwalek on 04/25/2013 10:45:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  6:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure Norm, possibly Ed Clifford or Sara Vanderwood could have linebred that line.
I owned Willie here (Texas X Marte) but had problems with seizures in Willies offspring but not certain which side it came from. Bred to Cocoa (who has had 2 litters for me none of which had the seizures).

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com
Go to Top of Page

MRoback

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  09:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went through about ten of streepers peds and there was much evidence of linebreeding there

quote:
Originally posted by Jessica Doherty

Ok, I figure I'll chime in since I like to study this stuff and used to put a fair amount of time into it.

I have studied Streepers lines and breedings, as well as many other kennels and lines, both in NA and Europe, and here are few things that stand out.

1. The practical application of successfully breeding to improve high performance dogs does not always correlate to what you read in genetics books, or to what works for breeders of purebred lines.

One note that seems to be very relavant is that some individuals are superior producers, and some particular crosses just mesh very well and give great results.
Some examples of superior World Class producers off the top of my head *Note, all of these dogs are outcrosses
1. Mike
2. Labben
3. Mimi
4. Pride
5. Sissel (1/2 EP, 1/2 GSP)
6. Odin
7. Lonley
8. Victor
9. Sailor
10. Drops III
11. Hop
A few notable crosses - all except 1 are outcrosses(sorry, I don't study the distance dogs)
1. Mike X Lakris (Odins sister)
2. Odin x Mikes sisters
3. Mike x Candy
4. TrittxMimi
5. TimmiexLonley - linebred 1 time
6. DropsxKeo (H Ingebrigtsen)
7. ChuckxSissel (greysters - Sissel was linebred)
8. HopxHallon

1. I have not seen really any linebreeding in Streepers kennel as far as I can tell. Only one litter that I can remember that is linebred really is Erin xPride, and they are probably a bit too young to tell much.
2. For Egils main teams, other than the last few years, all were outcrosses. Not just outcrosses themselves, but parents were also outcrosses. (Labben was a 1/2 EP outcross, Mike and his sisters were 1/2 GSP outcrosses) Labbens offspring Odin & Vesla, siblings, were repeated bred to Mike and his sisters - outcross to outcross, the husky lines in those dogs were also unrelated. Over the last few years, Egil has been line breeding successfully on the GSP part of the line. i.e TimmiexLonely (Mike and Timme are related as their mothers are sisters) as well as a few other similar crosses of this nature. It will be interesting to see the results more linebreeding in his kennel. BUT, this is literally the first generation of linebreeding in those pedigrees.
3. Ross Saunderson has more linebreeding in some of his dogs than most of the other open class sprint kennels that I have seen, take a look at his dogtec site.
4. Just because someone has a "line" or calls it their "line," does not mean it was linebred. For example, Lou Serres' Lourohounds 1/2 Polish Greyhound to Alaskan, Egils Mike line, the Labben line, Streepers Horse line, Marianne Norheims Greyster lines, Lena Boysens Greyster lines - all of these "lines" are not linebred, but based on a superior producer or specific cross that produced superior dogs. None of these "lines" were created by linebreeding.
Frankly, the only real line breeding I have seen is the Czech greyster lines and some in dogs of Ross Saunderson .
4. I haven't seen many inbreedings (brother-sister, father-daughter, mother-son) that produced a known superstar, but I have seen several pedigrees of SUPERSTAR dogs where one of the parents was either inbred or linebred.

It would be really interesting to hear from some of the folks that we talk about above - long time, world-class breeders.............

Jessica Doherty

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page