New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Danielle

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Danielle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh I'm so upset about our snow situation right now. Here in Kalkaska where we usually have an abundance of snow through out the winter until april some years, we are now without any at all! It's been raining for 3 days straight now, yesterday a thunderstorm with lightening and all! Kalkaska WinterFest is supposed to be the 20th what are we doing to do!? I'm so upset. Everyone pray to the snow God or do some naked snow dances (cough cough Darcy;) or something!
How is everyone else on snow up here in good ole MI?

~*Danielle*~
www.freewebs.com/rainbowbridgekennels

onehappyautumn

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit onehappyautumn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Danielle,

Up here near the Soo we have some crappy snow pack left. A lot of ice. Raining here too.

It's supposed to turn to snow at 1am :-)

I am going to get a good nights sleep in hopes of snow in the am!

Autumn

"In a dog eat dog world, it is the dogmatic domain of dog lovers to offer dogdom a dogs chance to rise above the dog days for a doggone good time." ~ AKC Gazette
Go to Top of Page

JC

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit JC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our trails are the same here in Gaylord, MI. Some snow pac and ice, the county roads are dirt now. We are getting out the ATV to do a short run tonight- yuck!!! More snow on the way tonight though.
Go to Top of Page

looking4snow

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit looking4snow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the post Danielle, I was wondering what Kasky looked like. I am SW of Traverse and we were lucky to get runs in over the weekend. The snow melted so fast and now has thawed the ground. We are going to need some cold weather over here before any snow will even stick. I hate spring thaw.....especially in JANUARY!

Heather J
SnowLine Kennel - www.freewebs.com/snowlinekennel/

Go to Top of Page

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard about the Seney 300 mile training run this week.

Razor

Razor
Go to Top of Page

gdm

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit gdm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like some snow is coming tomorrow and hopefully a lot so the race goes off next weekend.

Keep us posted the snow. I need to send my entry in.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Smith

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  7:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep us posted about Kalkaska. We plan on making the trip from Ohio.

We've had snow that lasted all of about 48 hours. I'd be happy with some ice. I've been on wheels since last year...the sled haven't even made it out of storage!!!

The more I know People the better I like my dog!
Go to Top of Page

P, Ann Nelson

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  06:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit P, Ann Nelson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The prediction is that we will get anywhere from 3-8" tonight and tomorrow, north of the 94 corridor. I do not think that the Ft Custer (Battle Creek) race will go off, unless they get dumped on by 7 p.m. tonight! Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that Lost Lake will get snow so we can have a race there next week! Kalkaska has a good chance to get snow. Let's all stay positive, and get out there and dance!!!!

Ann Nelson
Go to Top of Page

SKIJOR#1

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit SKIJOR#1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We here is Pennsylvania are reading these messages with great intrest. We will travel to Kalkaska to race if there is snow. I have been working with a 16 year old exchange student from Russia. Sasha is the currant Russian and European 4-Dog JR. title holder and we would love to get her to a race before she travels home to defend her titles.

Please keep the information coming. Thanks. Johnn

Johnn Molburg, www.arcticstarsleds.com
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalkaska has not been cancelled yet! We have a winter storm watch, with 10+ inches of snow expected in this area, and snow expected almost every day for a week. Those of you that have run in kalkaska for many years know, mother nature sometimes waites till the last minute. We have decided to take phone entries untill wed.5pm. Let hope all the races get to run. Good luck everyone!!!!!!

Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

onehappyautumn

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  2:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit onehappyautumn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the weather man lied the other day. The Soo is yet to see a flake of snow.

"In a dog eat dog world, it is the dogmatic domain of dog lovers to offer dogdom a dogs chance to rise above the dog days for a doggone good time." ~ AKC Gazette
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  6:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woodswoman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are in Mancelona (13 miles north of Kalkaska). Our wooded trails are holding up just fine.

Rhonda - this link backs your claim. I think Mother Nature will bless the Kalkaska race.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Kalkaska&state=MI&site=APX&textField1=44.7346&textField2=-85.1799&e=0

Winter is back in business...in northern lower Michigan.

Sherry Sutherby
http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Danielle

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  7:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Danielle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rhonda you are right! I'm so excited. Hoping to see at 7 inches tonight and more snow the rest of the week!
I certainly hope mother nature will bless us!
Everyone keep your fingers crossed!

~*Danielle*~
www.freewebs.com/rainbowbridgekennels
Go to Top of Page

SKIJOR#1

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit SKIJOR#1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I shall continue to be optamistic! Thanks to all who are keeping us updated. Johnn

Johnn Molburg, www.arcticstarsleds.com
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This cracks me up. The Twin Cities weather gurus inform us it did snow here in Danbur, Wis. today. HOWEVER Because of lower level atmospheric conditions it never actually hit the ground.
HMMM !! I wonder - if I'm to mow or disc a field next season can I tell my boss "well I actually did mow and disc but the mower and disc never actually cut anything due to Atmospheric Conditions". Whatever HUH!!
NOAAH INTERPRETATION
50% chance of snow = maybe it will and maybe it won't.
20% chance of snow = it ain't gonna snow stupid.
Forget Dopler- Try sticking your head out the window.
Go to Top of Page

looking4snow

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  06:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit looking4snow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the weatherman was right here....we had green grass yeaterday and about 6" of good snow when I got up this morning!! Should pack good for a trail and more snow is supposed to be on the way.

Crossing my fingers...and all the dog paws to see you all in Kalkaska!

Heather J
SnowLine Kennel - www.freewebs.com/snowlinekennel/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page