Tandem Sleds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kaelaney

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our trail conditions aren't the best yet for hooking down so I was wondering what's the best way to hook sleds in tandem?

Thanks

PRT

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  8:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a double length of 3/8 line filled with 1/4 inch line. Both ends have a loop which can be clipped to the carabineer on both sleds.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
~Cree Indian Proverb
Go to Top of Page

carol

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the carribeaner you mention what your gangline and snowhook are attached to on the forward sled and back sled?
Does the new line to tow the back sled get in the way of the forward sleds drag brake?
This arrangement would give both sleds drivers control of the teams speed then and stop and go. Correct?
I like that.
Go to Top of Page

PRT

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  4:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol-You are correct in all of your statements. Both teams have control of braking. If your drag brake glides on top of the snow you could run you line between the brake bar and the drag. My line is about twice the length of a sled (16 ft???)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
~Cree Indian Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  4:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many dogs do you run that you need a tandem sled? Would a ten dog team work or should I go to twelve? I think this would be a great way for my wife to get confidence in her driving.

What do you do on switchback corners and on brushy trails?

Edited by - Cliff Maxfield on 01/05/2008 4:34:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  6:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

Please don't put her on the whip sled!! I've been there one too many times!!

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

PRT

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  3:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The person on the back sled should be a very competent sled handler if you are run on twisty trails. On straight trails you shouldn't have a problem. The front sled driver can assist turning by using their feet to guide the line to the right or left. I have seen a new sled built by Maine Made Sleds http://www.mainemadedogsleds.com/ that has two driving positions and two brakes. I looks like a great idea for training new drivers or running big teams safely.

~Cree Indian Proverb
Go to Top of Page

cricket

Canada
627 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  8:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cricket's Homepage  Reply with Quote
has any one taken a look at the new sled that gatt is making two people per sled both standing great for tours and stuff
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  06:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outlaw has produced a few double handled/braked ( 2 person) sleds as well.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com

Edited by - RSmith on 01/07/2008 06:40:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page