New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lindy

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  8:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lindy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I let myself get spooked in a run last night. My mind was wandering and I let the huge fresh tracks start to stress me out.

A few times I grabbed at my headlamp remembering dbseavey’s advice to turn it off. That made me feel better until I started wondering about the half a dozen red blinking lights from bow to stern - all of a sudden I imagined every moose out there chasing us down the trail. It made a long slow run feel so much longer and so much slower. What tricks the mind can play.

Brenda- I think I really like your idea of a flare gun - sounds like a good remedy for me and my wandering mind here in the middle of moose country. I am not familiar with one though – how does the team react to it? Also wondering what happened the other 20% of the time that it didn’t work?
Thanks
Lindy

Heywood Kennel
Stockholm, ME
HeywoodKennel.com
Go to Top of Page

Brenda

161 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  11:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brenda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First off, I am not a super aim anyway, but as the flare is very light pretty difficult to aim and usually arcs. IF you are in the area of the moose it usually scares them. If you aren't in the ballpark it doesn't work as well, even though the whistling as this red stream flies through the air, quite often does the trick too. As I said though, sometimes, as in often harassed moose, the moose just gets angry and may charge. I think I have only had that happen once but usually they are riled up enough before that it doesn't matter what you do. One thing you can guarantee about moose is they are not predictable. Any animal that will play chicken with a train can't give a lot of thought to what they do. Sometimes, given cow and calf (more likely to get a charge then) I aim for the calf to get it to run and the cow will follow. The only other problem I have had is that if it is extremely cold and your first flare doesn't work (poor aim usually), the second one has cracked the barrel, I guess from the heat one after another, combined with the extreme cold outside. So make sure to check it often or your barrel may fly off when you fire it. I had that happen once. They are only made of hard plastic but one reason usually around $50 and come with about 6 flares.

I think that is a pretty high percentage of success though and has worked on the much harassed Anchorage moose.
Go to Top of Page

lisark_aussies

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  12:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit lisark_aussies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got something called "bear bangers." It's basically the shape of a shotgun shell and comes with a little thing you load it into, pull back the trigger mechanism and pow, you've got the sound of a firearm but not the bullet.

Here in Canada it is illegal to set off a flare unless it is an emergency to which you want cops and SAR to attend! I would not use a flare for scaring off moose when you can get bear bangers for the same thing.

Here's a website that shows the item that I have in my kit. http://www.bearsmart.com/backcountryManners/Deterrents.html

What about using an air horn?

Lisa Giroux
AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
http://www.k9station.com
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  07:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't have moose around here. Once in a blue moon some misguided moose will come through.
Yesterday my leaders darn near caught a White Tail deer. We were going down a logging raod. One deer crossed thirty yards ahead of the team. I was watching that one when another WHAM another came across within inches of my leaders heads. This is the closest encounter we've ever had with deer. They generally head for the hills when they see us. Still had this one been a bit slower and got caught by a dog or the gangline in could have got ugly.
Go to Top of Page

mooselook

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a deer tangled in gangline story, but somewhat similar. On the first day of hunting season two years ago, I was driving back roads to the coast. At one point along a wooded stretch, a buck ran across the road barely yards in front of my car. As I was thinking, phew, that was close, I heard and felt something heavy strike the side of my car and turned in time to see the hind legs of a second deer hanging at the driver's side rear passenger window, then turned to the opposite side windows in time to see the doe fly head over heels off the roof of my car and land in brush beside the road. By the time I got out of the car and ran back to her, she managed to right herself and ran off into the woods, limping. The driver of an on-coming car saw the whole event and stopped to help me pick up the pieces of my roof rack that were strewn all over the road. We speculated she tried to leap over my car but got hung up in the roof racks and kayak cradles. A shot rang out from the woods moments later. Sad to escape a collision with a vehicle only to be struck down by a bullet, but a blessing if she broke or badly injured her leg. Again, not a dog story, aside from having a couple of wide-eyed dogs in the car, but an unusual one.

"There are some simple truths...and the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer
Go to Top of Page

Lindy

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lindy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Lisa – you are right. On my search for a flare gun in the local stores here in Maine, I was quickly reminded that they are to be used to call for emergency help only. Not a bad idea to have one with you for that purpose alone, but not so great for just chasing off moose. Thanks for that web site on bearbangers- I do want something for peace of mind. In the mean time it is back to the pots and pans for me. If that doesn’t work at least I can cook a meal while I wait for them to leave the trail.
Lindy Howe
Go to Top of Page

Gail

Canada
401 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  9:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the subject of moose, here's an interesting photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Horses/Mollymoose.jpg
This moose came to visit a friend's yard on Christmas day and hung around until New Year's

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
------------------------------

------------------------------
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page