Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karal

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  10:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the helmet debate is on the same level as the seatbelt debate.
I myself have not worn a helmet, but not to say it hasn't crossed my mind, when running. A helmet will not save you in every situation, but could save you in some situations. When my folks had a car accident, the seat belt didn't save my dad, but, the seat belt surely saved my mom. I have a good friend that would have been dead if he had been wearing a seatbelt. A helmet saved my nephew from what could have been a serious accident when on his bike. His helmet cracked, could have been his head. I know of 2 people that got tossed from horses, they had helmets on, but still died. Are helmets a good idea, yes, my son wears one when riding his bike, and on horses. If he still likes running dogs when he is old enough to run jr class, he might be wearing a helmet then too.

live laugh love

Edited by - Karal on 12/19/2007 11:12:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

sleddogpodcast

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  6:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit sleddogpodcast's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 3 girls that run here and they all wear Skiing helmets. I thinks a great idea. Especially for the younger mushers. Plus they stay warmer in them. A thin hat/turtle combination underneath keeps them toasty.

www.sleddogpodcast.com
Tim & Gena Dewey
sleddog@vbs20.com
Go to Top of Page

csimmons21210

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  1:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit csimmons21210's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use a combination of snowboarding and bike helmets. DH and I both wear snowboarding helmets. We have loaner bike helmets for the kids that we use during our programs. We wear the helmets and we require the kids that do our dog sledding and dryland dog sledding programs to wear them while on the rig or in the sled.

I love my snowboarding helmet and I am not a big helmet fan. DH had to drag me kicking and screaming into the ski shop to get a helmet. We tried both bike and ski/snowboard helmets but I liked the fit on the snowboard helmets much better. Now that I have the helmet though I love the thing. It's warm and comfortable. It has removable ear flaps that keep my ears warm when it is cold (but I can still hear through them) and it has vents that can be opened or closed depending on the type of weather. It also has a strap to keep my goggles in place for when it's snowing. It has a second set of ear flaps that are specifically designed to be used with an ipod although I have not tried them out as I like to be able to hear what's happening around me while out on the trail with the dogs. For reference, I have a k2 women's helmet that was about 90-100 bucks. Oh, and my favorite feature is the darned thing fits around my pony tail or braid.

Catherine Benson
Maryland Sled Dog Adventures LLC
www.marylanddogsledding.com
Go to Top of Page

BAM

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  06:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wear my bike helmet in the fall, and my partners with a hat under if when it gets cold. He has a big head :). To be fair, I also take the velcro padding out. I figure the hat adds padding and with adjustment, it works great. I think I would prefer a snowboarding type helmet for sledding. I think we are more prone to side head trauma (smacking trees) which that type of helmet would help protect.
Go to Top of Page

Sledkids

Canada
236 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  3:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The disadvantage of bike helmets is that it doesn't take much of an impact for them to need replacing. We would have had to replace a bike helmet several times by now just because of tip overs and things. The snowboard helmet we got for our son is certified multiple impact so if he just has a minor crash we can still use it. Also, the bike helmet is a little tough to fit goggles around.

Tracey :)
abundantacres.ca
Nimpo Lake, BC
Go to Top of Page

powderhound66

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  6:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit powderhound66's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am 14 years old, and i have been mushing since i was 11 and i have never worn a helmet. I have also been riding horses by myself since i was about 5 or 6, without helmets. I have been dumped off the sled and bucked off many times and i have never had anything happen to me, not saying somethign WONT happen but nothign ever has. I can see why some people would wear them, but i dont see the NECESSITY of them. I agre with onehappyautumn with the downfalls of them

Emily
For the Joy of the Ride!
www.powderhoundsracing.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page