Finally enough Snow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rwelshm

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  07:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I think we finally have enough snow down here in Eastern Newfoundland for a test run this weekend. Had a nice cold period last week and then 25cm snow behind it. I'm heading out this weekend for my first run of the year. Talking about warming up and possibly rain on Monday :(

Cheers

Ray

mooselook

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  07:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of the white stuff falling in southwestern Maine this month...and I've just had knee surgery! The doc says to stay off the runners for six weeks!! Arrghh. As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say, "It's always something".

Ray, the wrong-more-than-right weather folks are predicting A Big One for northern New England this weekend. I hope whatever snow doesn't fall here makes its way to you. Someone should enjoy it.

(Say, does anyone have a bit of cheese to serve up with my whine?)

Cathleen

"There are some simple truths...and the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer
Go to Top of Page

rwelshm

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  10:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
H Cathleen,

I'm just recovering from a knee scope surgery :) I told the doc he would have to tie a 2x4 on my leg so I can go. He said I should be good but will wear the brace just to be sure. This the first year I'm going with 5 adult sibs, should be interesting.

Cheers

Ray
Go to Top of Page

rbibber

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  10:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
woo - hoo! 12 inches already on the ground and another 12" forcasted for today! We've been training on snow for the past week! Earliest I've EVER started training on snow in the 6 years I've been mushing!

Rob Bibber
Vassalboro, Maine
Go to Top of Page

lisark_aussies

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  4:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit lisark_aussies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in Western Newfoundland we're battening down the hatches for a big one...forecast calls for 80 knot winds (that's about 150 km and hour) and 15 cm of snow tonight/tomorrow morning. It's likely we won't be able to dig out until late tomorrow afternoon because the winds are supposed to keep up for a while.

Ray where are you and what do you run? It would be great to get together sometime.

Lisa Giroux
AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
http://www.k9station.com
Go to Top of Page

rwelshm

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  6:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,

I hear you got one coming. I run with 5 siberians, I used to skijor with two caught the bug and now have five. I'm thinking of forming a NL Sledding club and got a 1/2 dozen or so interested. Contact me via email if you want to get in touch.

Cheers

Ray
Go to Top of Page

cricket

Canada
627 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  12:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cricket's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds like the east coast is gettin enough for everyone
Go to Top of Page

Gail

Canada
401 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  12:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We got lots here in Ontario yesterday too, on top of the already abundant amount we had. When I was out doing chores today and moving some hay around on a sled I took the dogs for a romp up in the bush. They were going ahead of me breaking trail but the snow was still coming up mid-thigh. When I stepped out of the trench they had made I sunk even deeper and was in up to my hips where the snow hadn't been previously disturbed. Now I'm not tall (just over 5'), but still, that's more snow than we had all last winter and it came to stay about a month earlier than usual. I've been training on the sled since about mid-November. Still have lots of clearing out to do on the driveway, trails to pack etc. but it's a beautiful sunny day with the fresh snow just sparkling in the sun. It's hard to imagine that some people don't enjoy the winter.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
------------------------------

------------------------------

Edited by - Gail on 12/17/2007 12:17:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

snowfoot

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  12:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have an absolutely perfect situation in my little corner of NW Wisconsin- there is enough snow that they groomed the snowmobile trails, but not enough to open them to snowmobilers.
So I have miles and miles of perfect, flawless, groomed trails with not a soul on them. I'll try not to gloat...
Yesterday was great- temps were normal, bright sunny day, complete silence.... It was really lovely.

http://community.webshots.com/user/musherpumpkin
Go to Top of Page

lisark_aussies

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  6:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit lisark_aussies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well we got a storm all right, 160 km an hour winds and lots of precipitation...RAIN...which took down the snow levels. Darn it!

I would be interested in becoming a member of any Newfoundland sledding club!!! I am just a skijorer but I would love to get involved!

Lisa Giroux
AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
http://www.k9station.com
Go to Top of Page

sleddogpodcast

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit sleddogpodcast's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful snow here in Northern Lower Michigan if anyone wants to come up, down or over.

www.sleddogpodcast.com
Tim & Gena Dewey
sleddog@vbs20.com
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  07:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sleddogpodcast- That's what I'm planning on! Can't get enough snow in Green Bay but heading home to Stanwood/Big Rapids area for Christmas. I was originally planning on leaving the dogs at home but I called my family after I got all the snow reports and said we can catch up over present opening and dinner- I'm going sledding!!

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page