New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  05:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking to collect a list of novice and recreational mushers.
People over 35 married with a family, the house, the bills, and 40+ hour a week jobs. People running 5 dogs or less. I have questions for this specific group that might help me in my situation.
I would then like to communicate with the people on this list via e-mail so not to clog up SDC's forum with this rather personal matter.

Edited by - deleted on 12/10/2007 09:29:23 AM

Dennis Waite

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  08:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dennis Waite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diesel, I'm not sure if I fit your "rec" definition, but I consider myself recreational. I'm mostly interested in multi-day trekking, but work of course interferes! I'm constantely in conflict over grade papers (I teach) or run dogs. Grade papers ususally wins. Becase I'm also a part-time counselor in private practice, I'm usually too beat after teaching then seeing patients to do late training runs. When my classes are in the afternoon, I sometimes am able to do short morning runs, but not nearly enough. I also have far more than 5 dogs. My husky kennel now numbers 24 - all adopted, rescued, or relieving people of their "problem" siberians. So when I train, I have to do multiple runs to give everyone a chance to exercise. When the ATV is running properly, I usually am able to do 8 or 10 at a time. When it isn't (like now) my 4 wheel cart can manage only 6 at a time, so more hook-ups means more time needed = more scheudle conflicts.

Then we have the house dogs . . .

Dennis Waite
Phoenix Consultation
www.phoenixconsultation.com/rescue
Go to Top of Page

mooselook

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  08:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Deez: I qualify and would be happy to hear from you.

Cathleen

"There are some simple truths...and the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer
Go to Top of Page

snowfoot

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  09:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I consider myself recreational, but your requirement of 5 or less dogs might restrict your pool of info significantly. Just MO.

http://community.webshots.com/user/musherpumpkin
Go to Top of Page

MegC

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  09:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
micro mushing working mom here (one handed typing w/ kid in lap now even)
Go to Top of Page

Dougskijors

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dougskijors's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi - I fit; 3 dogs (+ occasional guests), 3 kids, wife, 50+h per week job...
The dogs are pets that live inside.
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  10:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diesel- Married, 6 dogs, both work 40+ hour weeks, semi recreational (attempting to race this year), under your age limit though (26). Do have the house, all the bills,car payments, credit cards, student loans etc. I'd be willing to talk to you as well.

www.freewebs.com/briarlea

Edited by - EllieRose on 12/10/2007 10:43:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  10:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recreational for 12 yrs. 7 dogs, all sled 'pets' that live in the house.

55-60+hr work per week; significant other probably 40hrs but more flexible. We each have 100 mile commute at least 2x per week.

However, we're DINKAS (double income, no kids, animal substitutes).

Can't fathom having kids in the equation.

Edited by - mbeers on 12/10/2007 1:02:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gail

Canada
401 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  11:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fit too; married, one child, house, bills, livestock, have 6 dogs but only run 2 and just starting 2 pups (they're all house dogs). Daughter does kid & mutt classes, I've tried a 2-dog novice class and am aiming to be ready for the 4-dog classes next winter. I fit all requirements except the 40+ hour job (I work seasonally from home, winter is my time off - yeah! ) Husband works long hours though. Full time, plus part time, plus volunteer firefighter.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
------------------------------

------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

staj

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  12:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diesel,

Forty plus years old here. Six sibes, but run a rec team of 4. Two senior dogs retired. The usual bills: mortgage payments, credit cards, utilities, car loans etc. Be happy to participate or help in any way.

staj

oops, forgot to add married, and working over 40 hrs. per week

Edited by - staj on 12/10/2007 12:56:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

bike12

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  12:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feel free to add my name to the list. over 50, 3 aussies, compete in agility, conformation, nordic skiracing, bike racing. added skijoring because we were already skiing w/ them, all I had to do was attach them to me<ggg>. Work, bike, ski, train dogs, play w/ dogs, feed dogs, groom dogs, work, play w/ husband and dogs.... . Would do herding but ran out of time and $$$. Have no desire to have more than 4 dogs at this point, unless I win the lottery and retire.

Ann and the Aussies
Go to Top of Page

debkshiba

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
My husband and I both fit except that we each have a 6 dog team; but busy lives/jobs, plus a home based business. We've been mushing recreationally for about 5 years. I'd be happy to contribute.

DebK
Go to Top of Page

deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  6:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say the responce is more than I expected and I thank you all.
It will be difficult to discuss this through e-mails being so many so I'll use the forum.
To give the particulars, as I explained to mooselook, it lays out like this.
I am married, have a very, very old house that I am trying to renovate, my wife and I work 40+ hours at employers 50 minuites from home.
To say I'm addicted, eat,sleep and go dogsledding is an understatement.
We have a kennel of 5 sibes. Two retired last year and running only 3 this year. All under 4 years old, all live outside.
My questions are these for those who fall in this siario.

Do you all have your dogs on a strict diet and watering program ?
Or do feed them good grades of kibble and make sure they have water all the time ?

How many times a week do you run and what kind of milage ?

Do you follow the same schedual and season the, excuse me, "big guys" ? To me, these are the kennels with 12 or more.

And how do you juggle the time between family and sledding ?

Go to Top of Page

mbeers

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  7:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diesel

Do you all have your dogs on a strict diet and watering program ?

Or do feed them good grades of kibble and make sure they have water all the time ?

Strict? Not sure I would say that but I do feed them kibble + sled dog meat mix. We have in the past tried to go kibble alone and we find they do a lot better with meat. (We generally are doing 25-30 mile runs by end of season). I feed meat all year.

I water them prior to running but otherwise I free water (doesn't freeze here in Monterey).
quote:

How many times a week do you run and what kind of milage ?

Not as many as we would like. We get at least 2 days (weekend warriors) and try to fit in 1-2 other days during the week but succeed at that about ~30% of the time. More so in Dec than other months due to my SO's schedule. Mileage will vary. We run dogs all year generally. We start the season at 4 miles and work up to 25-30. We're running mostly 10-12 on very hilly trails now. Our seasons have ranged from 600 miles+ to just over 250 miles depending on our time, goals and mostly weather.

quote:

Do you follow the same schedual and season the, excuse me, "big guys" ? To me, these are the kennels with 12 or more.

No way, at least not the teams I know. And what the team is capable of reflects it. I try and keep my ambitions on mileage and how well we might do compared to other teams in line with the training time we can put in and not get disappointed or down about it--not fair to the dogs.

quote:

Lucky for us, mushing is a 'family' activity. We split up training the team, split events, split care of the dogs. I think it would be hard otherwise.

FWIW...

Oh, and I forgot to mention our closest trails for training are a 40min truck drive plus we're not supposed to be out there after dark. So with work, commute and drive to trail, it further limits what we can do during the week. We mostly try and go early a.m. during the week and pretend we didn't get there until dawn

Melissa

Edited by - mbeers on 12/10/2007 7:29:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

THZSteele

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  8:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit THZSteele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Deisel,

We have 12 dogs I work full time in the winter, duoble full time in the summer...gotta wife 2 kids ages 5 and 8...I'll say this answer your questions...as much as I love running dogs, my family comes 1st, then my job, then my dogs. some times it is hard to balance all that. i have a somewhat flexble job in that the winter months are our slow time and I can do much of my work and still have family time, and dog time.

Our boys are old enuf now that they can come with me when we run, the wife is supportive and likes to help out with rides and races we go to...

We feed twice a day and have water available 24/7 during the fall/spring/summer months...we feed meat and kibble, poulrty skins for snacks and if a dog gets loose...the occasional cat

We try to run as much as we can. 3-4 days a week...we're up to 20+ milers now (just under 300 miles total on the dogs since September)...I take 10-12 days of vacation around Christmas and we do tours and/or training runs, maybe a campout, and I do spend more time on the trail...The boys get to come with dad when they are not in school...Like Melissa we've made this a family activity...sometimes we have to be fairly intentional about fitting it all together.
Go to Top of Page

MegC

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  8:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW husband and I work (mostly) 40h/week, 40 mile round trip commute, and have a 2yo daughter.

quote:
Do you all have your dogs on a strict diet and watering program? Or do feed them good grades of kibble and make sure they have water all the time?

Dunno what you mean by 'strict' but I feed 1c of kibble + glucosamine + 1q of water in the morning, top off the kennel buckets when I put them out with hot water, then feed 2-3c kibble + 1c water + zinc + meat or Impact at night. If they want more plain water at night they get it of course. When I'm running I'll often slip a cup or so of baited water both before and after just to make sure they're sufficiently hydrated.

I have GSPs so they eat a lot.

quote:
How many times a week do you run and what kind of milage?
Do you follow the same schedual and season the, excuse me, "big guys"?

We run regularly from September through March if I can pull it off. I try not to do more than 2 days in a row off unless something goes haywire, and mostly aim for 3-4 runs a week. One run a week is a fast 2 or 3 miles out my driveway, just something fun to pick them up on a night when I'm tired. I have a few other 5-8 mile trail options close by I reserve for the weekdays or Sunday night. I try to get one 8-12 mile run in on the weekend, but I'm increasingly conscious of the gas I'm burning for these excursions.

quote:

I'm doing it and I don't know how, lol. And it's very hard. You have to be flexible IMO. My husband realizes the dogs aren't snowmobiles that can be parked all week, and ideally I have some weekend days totally devoted to what he wants to do as well. Gotta give a little to get a little.

Just this weekend we took the plunge and got hold of a kid's pulk so we can ALL go out- me, husband, kid, & dogs. I really hope mushing for us can become more of a 'whole family thing', at least on the weekend. Video from our Saturday adventure:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rxxQy8Zp5uM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page