I need opinions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mushingsweetheart

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have always called my kennel coldfoot kennels however it was brought to my attention that there was and might even be another kennel with the same name. This is because there is a town in alaska with this name. I've always liked this name because i like northern wintery sounding names like most of my dogs have. I'm not much for cute and funny names. I need opinions. If you were in my situation would you change your name or keep it? I really like it and have used it for a couple years. I just feel stupid or would definately be embarassed if I met the person with the same name or if anyone ever said anything about it. What should I do? I just cant think of another name.

Nichole Sauve

Karal

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would keep it. Even if you did think of a different name chances are someone may have that too. And I would bet there is more than 2 coldfoot kennels.
Many years ago a friend of mine, her little 3 year old asked me if those were snow dogs, I said yup. Well I call mine Sno Dog Kennels. Bet there is more than one.

live laugh love

Edited by - Karal on 11/05/2007 7:40:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phil Hoekman

USA
401 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  8:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A frilend now retired used tohave the Name "Chilly Paw" which isclose but not the same.
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  07:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently found out that there are two other kennels with the same name as mine. Briarlea Kennel- I chose it without knowing anything about them, they are show kennels with different breeds. Briarlea was the name of a farm my parents bought in WV a long time ago. I thought it was such a great name that I named my kennel. I could care less if there are other kennels with that name if it ever comes up then I'll deal with it then. Your kennel name is representative of you. While there may be other kennels with that name they have that name for their own reasons so it is still unique to you.

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page

Ladysibes

Canada
468 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are a recreational kennel and don't breed or do business or have a webiste under your chosen kennel name you will likely be all right if you have the same name as another kennel.

If you are breeding registered dogs, operating as a business and could be considered to be a threat to an older already established business you could be asked to change the name.

Kennel names that are registered for business purposes (breeding, sales, tours etc) are considered a trademark and folks can get awfully protective of their kennel and business names. And things can get awfully messy if it ends up in a legal battle.

In Canada there is something in the Canadian Kennel Club rules that is supposed to restrict duplication of a kennel name. No matter if it is involving different breeds. They can even be really sticky about the use of royal family names, and kennel names in use in the US. I am not sure but suppose that there is something similar in the AKC rules.

Before choosing a kennel name - do a lot of research and make sure that you choose something totally unique to you.
Go to Top of Page

Willys Dad

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  5:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry it. There is a Sibe kennel in Victoria, Aus. called Coldfoot and an old Mal bloodline named Coldfoot. I doubt at this time you are a threat. With a name like Suave I wouldn't consider any name other than Suave Racing Husky's LOL.
Keep It

The more people I meet the more I like dogs and their people.
Go to Top of Page

dog musher

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  5:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit dog musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is something my mother told me a couple of years ago when I was changing the name of my kennel; If you become famous with your sled dogs, who is going to know your kennel name unless you use it alot? Does anyone know the name of DeeDee Jonerowes kennel? Jeff Kings? Robert Sorlie? Doug Swingly? How bout the Redingtons? The point is- when most people are talking about a well known kennel, they don't use the kennel name, they use the mushers.
Keep the name; if someone complains, then cross that bridge when you come to it.

Lacey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page