Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fast E

USA
2238 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  08:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever figured out what it costs 'you' to raise a pup from birth to 12 mnths old?
I'm sure it will vary some pending location and what a musher feeds and the different worming and shot programs.
It will be interesting to get some reponses and try to figure an 'average' of sorts.

www.fastestreeperkennel.com

Dori

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dori's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just did a class with Aily Zirkle at the symposium and she figured that it cost $240. per pup per year. That's if you have no problems and if you do all your vaccinations, dew claws, and wormings yourself. That doesn't include stud fee which can raise the price of the pup substantially.

www.freewebs.com/dorihollingsworth
Go to Top of Page

Fast E

USA
2238 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  11:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dori--if that was her cost -have you figured yours aprx?

Go to Top of Page

pcurtice

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Food, shots and de-wormer. No more than 270.00 per year.

Peter C. Curtice II
Ridgerunner Kennel
Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  2:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Eddie - What does it cost you?
I think $250 is fair.
Anyone whose been in this sport any time at all know puppies are like a box of imported chocolates. They are expensive and you never really know what your going to get. IMO it makes more sense to purchase a dog from recent top winning bloodlines and more importantly an honest reputable seller.
TIA
Henry Olman
Go to Top of Page

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sat down and figured this out last year,and it all goes as planned . The cost was about $242. per pup. Shots ,worming, rabies and food.

LINENDOLLSHAPPYHUSKYKENNEL.COM
Go to Top of Page

Dori

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  6:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dori's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eddy, I think the $240. mark is fairly accurate for us as well. I do know that pups eat as much or more than a grown dog even during the first few weeks when the mother can be eating enough to feed a 6-dog team.

I try not to think of how much money I have into any of the dogs. My daughter once told me, "Mom, if we didn't have all these dogs, we'd be rich!" She's probably right, but we'd be missing out on so much.

Go to Top of Page

dbseavey

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  6:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit dbseavey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't do as many vaccines, and feed a lot of free fish, so i think our food/vaccine cost is well under $200.

Add stud fees at $100/pup
Collar, chain, house, bowl: $85
House and feed one handler: $200
(i'm sure you can add some visa punchline here)
One dog box door, one trailer wiring harness, and 3 necklines they chew, plus your time....it is well over $500 a dog.
I'm sure it can be done for less, but if someone offered me $500 a dog to breed and raise them for a year, I sure wouldn't do it. Let me know what you decide on, it would be really interesting to know.

Go to Top of Page

Dori

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  9:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dori's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had one puppy that went through 3 houses before he was 10 months old. Yikes!!

Also, there is the cost of a puppy pen and whelping box.

Puppies are not cheap and if you want to keep a small kennel purchasing dogs from reputable dog people is probably your best bet.

Go to Top of Page

THZSteele

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  10:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit THZSteele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our rough estimates

Food - $215.35 per pup/year

shots - $100 est per pup

Dewclaws - $10 per pup

Kennel Equipment - Collars house, bowl, house, straw ect - $150 est per pup

Total - $475.35...that a ball park figure...I am sure I am missing somthing

Time spent talking about how much we spend on our dogs on SDC talk...priceless...

and just for DB...

"there are some things money can't buy...for everything else there's Mastercard."
Go to Top of Page

swanny

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit swanny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of my dogs are either rescues or were given to me for the price of shipping. I track my kennel expenses pretty closely and I can attest that adult dogs are no less expensive than puppies. Thus far this year, my monthly per/dog expenses include the following?

Nutrition = $13.90 per dog per month.

Veterinary care = $13.42 per dog per month.

Equipment of all sorts = $24.80 per dog per month (high because I bought a new sled)

Other related expenses = $11.90 per dog per month

So, thus far this year dog mushing has cost me an average of $63.62 per dog per month.

I really love working with rescue dogs, but I'm not opposed to paying a fair price to buy the right dog at the right time. I will even say that when all things are considered, a "free" dog is just as expensive as a dog you purchase. Even expensive dogs are cheap compared to the ongoing expenses of properly caring for and maintaining a team and kennel.

No one ever said this was an inexpensive sport, and I think we do new mushers and their dogs a disservice if we claim otherwise.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. William Francis Butler

http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm

Edited by - swanny on 11/05/2007 10:24:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fast E

USA
2238 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  9:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JT,
i also wondered that when i know the cost of food is considerably higher in the 'mother land'.
I was mainly interested in the cost of food-shots-deworming but find some of the other quotes on prices interesting as well.

Go to Top of Page

Rogue

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  12:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got about $210 per dog/per year. That doesn't include equipment, collars, houses, rebar/chain, snaps, straw/shavings and vet visits (spays/neuters or emergency calls). That's just food, vacs and deworming (2 x's a year). It also doesn't include the dog truck/dog boxes maintenance, diesel to get to/from places, etc. We do get some fish/meat scraps and bones for free. We also use the Rabies clinic for those vaccs and I order vaccines with friends, so that we get a good discount for buying a large amount.

I SERIOUSLY don't want to know the total number. Let's just say that this is an expensive sport...a lot of other addictions would be cheaper! If you look at prices for the quality foods, you'll see that the prices really aren't that much different for those basics. IF you have to ship things here though, the shipping costs inflate prices quite a bit. Also, if you buy in bulk, you get better prices. That's how the numbers are about the same IMO. Maybe some are just better at getting good deals.

Happy Trails!
Tammi

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."

Edited by - Rogue on 11/07/2007 01:08:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  08:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Per year per pup it costs me $120.00 kibble, $10.00 for shots (3), $10.00 for de-worming (3) and $12.00 for meat (we only feed meat from september to end of March). Thank goodness for great contacts and deals on everything. Add in the $30,000.00 truck, $6,000.00 dog boxes, Ganglines, sleds, harnesses, droplines, houses, extra hydro to power the dog yard and freezers, trips to the races (gas, motels, meals, beer) etc,etc,etc. All in all probably $6,000.00 per pup. HA HA.

Razor

Razor
Go to Top of Page

swanny

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit swanny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, my food cost should be doubled - I board my team two weeks out of each month, and sometimes a third week, while I'm away at work. Food during my absence is provided by the musher who cares for them as it is easier for him to just feed them along with his own team. I didn't include the boarding fee as it is not an expense that most other mushers have to worry about. My boarding fee is $20.00 per day for my small team.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. William Francis Butler

http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm

Edited by - swanny on 11/07/2007 10:01:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

mushpuppy

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  11:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit mushpuppy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to factor in the high value of sleep when you are chain-breaking them!

Snow Angel Racing
Houghton, Upper MI
http://www.snowangelracing.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page