General Discussion
 Fur Warmth Comparison
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Woofy

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  5:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woofy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I was wondering about the different pros and cons of different furs (in terms of warmth, waterproof, etc) for mittens, hats, and fur ruffs. I have a rabbit fur hat, for instance. What temperatures should it keep me warm at, and is it likely to get soggy and lose me warmth if it gets too wet? Thanks for any information!

"Sailor Girl Sled Dog Kennel"
www.freewebs.com/sailorgirlkennel

Rogue

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  01:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, your rabbit fur hat will get real soggy and wet. I spoke with Julie Collins at the Symposium and she discussed the different furs and their warmth with me. She said that Beaver is a good fur, very durable, but that fox is a bit warmer, then comes wolf, lynx, marten and wolverine. She said that marten is very warm, but since the pelts are thin, it's not as durable. I guess Wolverine is supposed to be the best for protecting the face...but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

From my own personal experience using a rabbit fur hat last year on races...it kept me warm, but really iced/frosted up from my breath. So, when I went inside, it became soaked and was real hard to dry out. Then, it wasn't as warm as it had been. It did work fine in conjunction with my parky hood...but I definitely wanted a fur that's better at wicking away the moisture. Hope that helped. I'm certainly no expert..only passing on what I've heard.

Happy Trails!
Tammi

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."
Go to Top of Page

North Point Kennels

32 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best fur is by far Caribou or Reindeer. The hollow hairs trap and hold body heat, breath, and repell wind and moisture. Now...Good luck finding any that is affordable.
Go to Top of Page

Gail

Canada
395 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  2:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by North Point Kennels

Now...Good luck finding any that is affordable.

Hmm... I wonder if it would be more readily available in other countries and could be ordered from there without costing toomuch. Years ago my sister did a student work exchange in Finland and toured around over there for a bit (Sweden, Lapland, Russia, Holland etc.) When she came back she brought me a pair of reindeer slippers that were trimmed with a shearling cuff. She's not the sort of person to spend huge amounts of money on stuff, so they must have been reasonably priced.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
------------------------------
http://www.racingrescues.com
------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Dougskijors

Canada
512 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dougskijors's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reindeer pelts and clothing are quite accessible in Sweden because many of the Sami people raise reindeer there.
Go to Top of Page

Fast E

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  6:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolverine is one of the few furs known to man to NOT frost up,i have heard the same about timberwolf(?).I use a wolverine ruff and it has never gotten frosty on super cold days(-40ish).

www.fastestreeperkennel.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  9:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bison is very warm, as mitts and hats.

CINDY
Go to Top of Page

Rogue

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  10:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get caribou hides up here, too. Most of the furriers have them, as well as other places. For instance, I know that the Chatanika Lodge always has caribou hides for sale, as well as other pelts.

Eddy, you are right about the Wolverine...that's why I was told it was one of the best furs for hats/ruffs.

Happy Trails!
Tammi

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."
Go to Top of Page

mushpuppy

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  1:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mushpuppy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Polar bear is pretty sweet-looking, but I have no experience with actual HAVING one. I believe you have to be a native to shoot one.(?) So I imagine pretty expensive!

Snow Angel Racing
Houghton, Upper MI
http://www.snowangelracing.com
Go to Top of Page

dog artist

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  2:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a civilized city, Anchorage has a decent place to get whole furs for pretty reasonable. Wolverine for hats and fur ruffs is what you see on mushers who run in serious cold....rabbit you see on folks in the crowd Beaver mitts are common, too, but always with liners and just for on the runners....cheap cotton gloves for checkpoints. As polar bear is hollow, too, I've seen it on mushers and seen it on ready-to-wear stuff, but never in the bulk fur section. I thought it was by native permit only, too. And unless you know how to skin sew, it isn't like sewing fabric, or you have breeches where the wind can sneak in. Mushers even use fur for peepee covers for the boy dogs---can't beat fur for shedding moisture and trapping warm air.

http://www.alaskafurexchange.com/bulkfur.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Woofy

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  9:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woofy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is sheared Beaver? Is it the same as non-sheared Beaver, in terms of warmth/waterproof? And what about Coyote? I ask because these are the two furs Cabelas has hats in, and I am not sure where else to look for fur hats that are warm enough for real winter conditions on the internet. Thanks for anything!

"Sailor Girl Sled Dog Kennel"
www.freewebs.com/sailorgirlkennel
Go to Top of Page

CrazyDaisy

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seal fur is supposed to be waterproof, but I don't own any seal clothing so I don't know how warm it is.

I would wear this gear probably in in conditions where there was a chance of wet flurries/freezing rain, but it may also work well when it is colder.

I work with wildlife biologists that study caribou and wolverine and they corroborate what has been said about caribou and wolverine fur so far.

Doing a bit of research on traditional Inuit clothing may turn up some interesting info.

There are seal skidoo mitts, mukluk type boots and musher hats available here in Newfoundland, but I don't know about elsewhere. It is a bit pricy compared to rabbit fur.
Go to Top of Page

helidog

46 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pilot friend of mine bought a seal hat while working in the bush. He confirms that it is waterproof, and also claims it doesnt get soggy and is much warmer than the caribou hats he has owned...I'm just waiting for him to set it down with his back turned...he he he
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page