New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  07:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I flew in from upstate New York late last night.First time I have ever flown into Alaska with the ability to see out the planes windows.It was 70 when I left home at 2 AM East coast time.When we came into Fairbanks it was 25 and SEVEN inches of snow. I could feel the smile on my face growing wider as we taxied down the runway.It is amazing first time ever into Fairbanks.Got in too late to go to the show last night but up at 3 am today with excitement to begin the day. Dogs howling in the trucks makes you feel right at home.Amazing when you think that I am struggling for even 45 degree weather and they already have the temps and the snow. Will I ever head home?Sure my dogs are there.Does this make one wonder if the move is inevitable?SURE does. But for the next few days I will soak up the wonderful snow.The great people the show and of course ALWAYS shopping for that great addition to the team,and no better place to look. Sorry I just had to share.Can you tell I am excited?

LINENDOLLSHAPPYHUSKYKENNEL.COM

Lindy

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  11:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lindy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shawn- Thanks for making us all very jealous!

Have a great time and keep those of us who are home in muggy rain posted throughout the weekend if you can!
Lindy
Go to Top of Page

Woofy

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  1:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woofy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Have fun!

BTW, the Natural History Museum in UAF is really cool!

"Sailor Girl Sled Dog Kennel"
www.freewebs.com/sailorgirlkennel
Go to Top of Page

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  8:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the saturday session is over. Tonight from 7-11pm AK time there is a get togethor and auction. The seminars are amazing here. So much knowledge. The vendors here are great and have some neat items.I do have to say met I Julie Collins I purchased a new wolf hat today. Amazing to see it all hand done. You can really appreciate the work they put into it from them trapping and tanning to making the hat. AWESOME! I enjoy that type of craftsmanship.Funny thing is I met a few people also from upstate NY here. What a small world.
The weather here is still cool(cold for a lower 48'er)HA! Snow is beautiful.I just wish i had my dogs here with me. It is funny how I got up early and had no dogs to drop. SO i was a groupie at someone elses dog truck. Cant stay away from the morning ritual. Hope you all are having a great day.

Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  10:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shawn - now I'M jealous - always wanted to meet the Collins twins - they have been such an inspiration for how I would like to live my next life! Hope you are going to make it home in time for Ohio dryland! Enjoy that snow...

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last

Edited by - sallydawson on 10/20/2007 10:13:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  01:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha. Up here for some extra days. Off monday to look at a piece of land. You never know.....Yes Julie was still sewing when I left tonight at 10pm. Seems like she was doing well. Her items made me feel like a kid in a candy store. So many things I couldnt decide what to get.
Not snowing today,but it sure hasnt melted any. On my Walk back on the trail to the Inn some moose tracks but didnt see any. Had the camera phone ready just incase.
A Dog Mushers paradise I would say.

Go to Top of Page

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  5:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sunday final day of the Symposium. Still many folks wandering through all day.So many people I can finally put a face to. The floor is crowded with Sled and Equipment vendors.Everyone seems to be having great success at selling their wares. People are smiling ear to ear. Got a chance to see some other dogs I had only seen bloodlines about.Very impressive indeed.Still cold out no new snow. Looking for my moose this morning on the trail over here,but nothing but fresh tracks. TC who is up here from Colorado was only mins behind me on the trail less than 5 mins. And she comes in and says hey did you see that moose? I didnt . Goes to show you ow fast they pop out.
Last nights auction to benefit the Alaska Dog Mushers Association was a huge success. So many great things to bid on. Too few carry-on's allowed for me. But people got some great deals and the club made some nice cash for their season.
There was a great seminar on a Thyroid study thatDr. Kyria Dunlap spoke about .Great new insight into working dogs.If you ever get a chance and need info on this problem she would be a great person to contact.
Hope you all are having a great weekend also. As my days wind down it seems like it will be a sad time to head back south.But also will be great to see my dogs. I am only away from my dogs for a handful of days a year .I miss them terribly.

Go to Top of Page

Rogue

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  11:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Shawn! I hope you stopped by the TRDMA booth, though I don't remember if we met or not. I'm the secretary for TRDMA, so pretty much spent the whole weekend. It's always great fun...and I live here! I met a few ladies from Jersey/Upstate as well. Nice to talk with them. They too, were sad to be leaving. I told them it's not all that far fetched to move here.

I was just a couple tables down from Julie. I've looked before, but it was never in the budget. This year, I said the heck with it, as I just couldn't resist those beautiful hats...and I needed one anyway. The hubby stretched out my old Beaver hat, then washed it. So, I looked at the different hats and settled on a beautiful fox hat. I wanted the silver fox...but it was too big for me. I couldn't decide then, between the beaver hat (which was a gorgeous purple!) and the red fox (which was a gorgeous royal blue). So, I asked Julie's advice, as she and Miki really know their stuff. She recommended the fox. It's so SOFT! I felt like a total girl, cause it's so pretty and even MATCHES my parka and my sled bag. Tee hee hee!! So, I know how you felt, Shawn. BTW, there's a nice place for sale at about 22 1/2 mile CHSR, which is out here in Two Rivers (hint, hint).

Happy Trails!
Tammi

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."
Go to Top of Page

Woofy

USA
658 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  11:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Woofy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do Miki and Julie Collins have a website with pictures of these hats? I'd love to see them all!

"Sailor Girl Sled Dog Kennel"
www.freewebs.com/sailorgirlkennel
Go to Top of Page

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  06:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a small world. I was about three to four tables from you.I was at the Momentum table all weekend(well almost,DONT tell Tim I went to listen to seminars.HAHA) But during one of them I went to your table and there was an woman sitting there.I bought a few of your T-shirts.She asked if I raced in Two Rivers.I said not yet right now it was a long ride ..Then I told her where I was from.She was shocked.Yes I went back to Julies table and I also ordered so of the beaver mitts since she was sold out of them.So I sure do know how you feel about your new hat. Awesome hey!
We walked the Chena river last evening for a little while.Ran into some beavers and I know and have trapped beavers before but let me tell you one of the 6 or more we saw had to be well into the 70lb or bigger range..Amazing...Hope we did not look too touristy snapping photos and following them along the river. It was cool to see the size of the slides these big guys were making.
Sorry I didnt meet you personally yet.Thanks for the "HINT". So many people have stopped by and made me feel right at home.You all dont know how good that makes someone feel.
Thanks to all that made my trip a great one.It is 3 am AK time and I am up just so I can use the entire day again without losing it.Woffy Email me privately and I can give you some contact info for Julie if you would like. I wouldnt think they make a catalog but you can ask them for something you might be interested in.

Go to Top of Page

laughing husky

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  4:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a fox hat also.....a red fox....I tried on all of the wolf hats and they were toooooooo big for me.....the fox was just right.
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  8:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tammi and Shawn - I too would like contact info on the Collins twins and their products. thanks,

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last
Go to Top of Page

Shawn

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, it is Tuesday afternoon. I have been up since 3 am AK time monday so if I ramble please excuse me. I went to the Alaskan Native Federation symposium for a while on Monday before heading to the plane. Amazing. It was great it was there while I was.So really nice items and great culture.
Head to the airport it is 3 degrees or so still nice snow on the ground.I make my way thru the safety check points. I decide to take my new hat and some other items along with me and my laptop and check the rest. We are told to board the plane.It had just landed coming in from Anchorage. We all load in and get settled. They tell us after an hour that the Altimeter is broke will be a couple hours.So we sit. WAITING!! Then you can see them taking all the cargo off our plane they just loaded so you know we arent going anywhere.I ask the stewardess if I can catch another flight she says sure. So i jump into another plane and off we go.Cloud cover wasnt too bad . You could see Denali as we flew over awesome. Land into Anchorage with a four hour layover.Onto another plane and we are off for Chicago,, What a tail wind. We made it in about 4 1/2 hours. Couldnt sleep the entire trip. Trying to re-live my trip and not wanting it to be over.Into Chicago another 3 hour layover good thing had to walk a million miles to another gate.Uneventful into Albany international. Plane lands they say it is 70 degrees out. I can feel the sadness setting in. I proceed thru the airport to get my luggage and wouldnt you know it. They lost it they said. They said if they find it they will deliver it the two hours North of there I live. I said IF?? They said well sometimes it is gone. I said well then we will have a problem. It was a good thing I carried my new hat with me. Or I would have been fliping out there.
Sally email me and I will send the contact info. It is a few week wait Julie said but you can contact her and ask.
It was the first time as you know I was ever in Fairbanks,and want you all who were there and made me feel right at home that I really appreciate it. I will be back////

Go to Top of Page

odaroloc

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  1:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geeze, Shawn - I had no problem with my flights out of Fairbanks! And I saw the moose. I feel lucky now.

Seriously, for those who have not been to the ADMA Symposium, you should really put it on your list of things to consider for next year. Coming from Colorado, I was blown away with the amount of information and level of quality of the seminars. But still didn't feel too 'classroomy' if you know what I mean. Great, down-to-earth folks more than willing to talk dogs with an Outsider from the lower 48. It was too bad they put the PRIDE lunch in a different building, but other than that, no complaints at all.

TC
Go to Top of Page

Ami

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  9:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ami's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To Shawn and everyone, thank you for your kind words about the ADMA Symposium. I am the chair person for the event and can tell you that your enthusiasm means the world to me. It also reminds me how lucky I am to be living amongst people who are at the top of their field - be it racing, veterinary work, nutrition, subsistance living or trekking.

There is a core group of volunteers that really care about putting on a good event. We are always open to suggestions of how to make future symposiums even better. Please feel free to e-mail me your ideas or post them here.

Ami Gjestson
ADMA 2007 Symposium Coordinator
ADMA Board Member

Go to Top of Page

Rogue

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  11:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn, maybe I did meet you. I have longish brown/red hair...and I love to wear polar fleece vests (hey, works great around here!). I remember speaking with a gentleman from back East. Perhaps that was you. I'm glad you had such a great time. Of course, you either Love Alaska, or you don't. I truly feel at home here and feel blessed to be in such a fantastic community.

Ami, good on ya! This year was definitely a great symposium. I think having the auction there on the main floor was a good idea, as it really let folks "shop" all day and plan on what they wanted to bid on. It was great to get to talk to all of the different vendors, most of whom I know, have raced with, etc. I had fun testing out new sleds...trying to figure out what I want for next year.

You gotta LOVE those red fox hats! So beautiful. I wear mine every morning to go start the car...though I don't need it yet for school. Husky, me too! I really, REALLY wanted the Silver Fox hat, as it was really luxurious and would match my Silver Fox ruff on my parky...but it, too was much too big for my head. Still, I'm very happy with the red fox. Miki and Julie don't have email or a website. They live out in the Bush and come into town for supplies or to sell their goods. However, they do take orders. If you need their number, email me.

Happy Trails!
Tammi

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page