Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Raising Sled Dogs
 Dog Yard
 Kennel floor, what has worked best for you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

xtremeweather

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  08:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit xtremeweather's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just put in a 8x13 kennel in the yard. The dogs will not be living in it, they all stay in crates in the house when we are at work. Basicly I put this in so we could leave at night, go out to dinner or somthing and not worry about them getting out of the yard or put them back in there crates. I need some ideas for a floor. I was gonna go with cement but I hear thats hard on there joints and feet. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Chris Bannister
Xtreme Weather Kennels
www.xtremeweather.net

RSmith

USA
3013 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  08:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris
Dig the entire area down 6-8", lay chicken wire fencing down then fill it back in with driveway 'crusher run' . It gets real nice and hard but isnt concrete. Borrow or get a heavy lawn roller and put your fill in little by little. ( 2" at a time, spray some water, pack it nice; repeat til its level or better yet slightly above existing ground surface)

Why only 8 X 13? Why not,oh, say 1 acre?

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com
Go to Top of Page

xtremeweather

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit xtremeweather's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roy,

Great idea. We have the back yard fenced but Storm and Tundra decided to Jump the fence a few days back. I guess there getting antsy now that its starting to cool off out side. My county only allows me to have a 4 foot fence anything taller is agaisted the zone laws. 1 acre run that would be nice!!!!!

Chris Bannister
Xtreme Weather Kennels
www.xtremeweather.net

Edited by - xtremeweather on 08/23/2006 09:13:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Joel

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  9:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few Sibes that have dug out and chewed through just about everthing I've put them in.....but I finally won. I framed the kennel area in multiple courses of 8"x8" treated timbers and then ran 2"x8" treated joists in the short direction spaced 12" apart - this is similar to deck construction. I then used the composite decking boards that are popular in deck building due to their lower mainteneance needs. I preferred these as they aren't pourous like wood. Finally, I trimmed the deck boards with a 2"x4" raised about an inch above the elevation of the deck boards. That way the dogs couldn't push the welded wire fabric kennel system off their deck and escape.
Go to Top of Page

mikiyuk

France
246 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikiyuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
for me the best is wood, if you want to see how are the dogs have a look on this page from our website http://palutok.free.fr/cheille_resultats.htm

Du Fur Rendez Vous Kennel. France.
http://www.dufurrendezvous.com
blog http://dufurrendezvous.multiply.com/
Go to Top of Page

rbibber

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The geraniums are a nice touch! C'est bon!

Rob Bibber
Vassalboro, Maine
Go to Top of Page

xtremeweather

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit xtremeweather's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful sugestions. Joel the way you explane your set up, it sounds nice. Mikiyuk, you have a beautiful kennel. Thanks for the tips

Chris Bannister
Xtreme Weather Kennels
www.xtremeweather.net
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  6:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SAND

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
Go to Top of Page

mikiyuk

France
246 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  01:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikiyuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you want to see how we built the kennel; have a look there, http://palutok.free.fr/cheille_travaux.htm
when we arrived it was quite the jungle !
sorry it's in french, I don't have any time to translate !
Fortunatly we've a lot of friends who comed help us when we move in , in May 2006.
rbibber : the dogs love the "geraniums" too

Du Fur Rendez Vous Kennel. France.
http://www.dufurrendezvous.com
blog http://dufurrendezvous.multiply.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lee

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought a couple of dogs in August who lived in a kennel with a dirt floor, and an outdoor grass running area. Their footpads were soft as a baby's bottom. Their new kennel floor is 3/4 clear gravel, and the dogs ***** footed around that for a about three weeks until their pads toughened up. I believe that if you don't want a lot of foot and nail problems, you should make the surface as robust as possible, but still choose a material that drains well.
Go to Top of Page

raharrison

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  10:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee - I'd wonder if something else weren't going on there too, maybe like the dogs not getting out on the trails enuff to toughen their feet? Gravel or any sort of stone in my yard are a big no-no. I have a confirmed rock scarfer (and $2k worth of receipts from his obstruction surgery and related care last year).

Funny I should run across this thread right now. I just came back to search up the name for wire mesh that someone used and got me more hits when I googled it. Our new dog yard will have wire mesh flooring w/massive tons of sand to top it off. I just closed on my new home yesterday. Yay.

Robin
Go to Top of Page

raharrison

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  10:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chirping right along, the name I was looking for is "galvanized hardware cloth" (thanks again, Swanny!). Our kennel will be floored with that and topped off with a couple dump trucks worth of sand.

Revisiting the soft paw issue, I've noticed when running my dogs on more rugged trails with friends and their pet dogs that my dogs' feet were unabraided when we finished while the pets' paws were pink and oozing. Is that because the pet dogs walk on carpet and grass at home, or they don't get out and run as much as mine? I suspect it's mostly because of the latter. Musing on the issue, not arguing. After my dogs have spent a full year or more on sand in the dog yard, I might have totally different thoughts on what dog yard or kennel flooring should be!
Go to Top of Page

xtremeweather

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit xtremeweather's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cant say sand would be the best surface for my dogs. Im sure they would dig right through it. I thought about rocks or stones, however desided against it, mostly for paw and lower joint concerns, hawk, knee, ect.. I finaly ended up doing what Roy suggested however I took it a step further. I put four stall mats(used in stalls for horses)on top of the stone dust. These mats are about 60-70lbs a pice, made of a hard rubber. This created a nice level surface good on the joints so they can romp around in there with no worries.

Paws were never a worry here. Just wanted a good nice surface for my dogs to hang out in the run for a wile without having them dig out.

Mikiyuk your pics are great love the kennel set up. Easy to see you worked hard on it.

Chris Bannister
Xtreme Weather Kennels
www.xtremeweather.net
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3013 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  07:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my experience, Sand is bogus!!

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com
Go to Top of Page

xtremeweather

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  08:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit xtremeweather's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roys right. I just cant see how sand could be a good surface. It will get into there coats, eyes, and of course will dig right through it.

Chris Bannister
Xtreme Weather Kennels
www.xtremeweather.net
Go to Top of Page

MegC

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect not all sand is equal. Some can be terribly dusty, some isn't as bad.

I'm personally extremely reluctant to do any kind of buried mesh, although this may be my near-pathological aversion to old wire and other buried metal garbage from years on the farm cropping up... In my observation wire in long contact with the ground usually rusts and gets brittle. If a determined dog was digging years from now I'd expect it to shred into pointy bits that could result in injuries.

Perhaps I'm overly concerned, but I've seen enough damage to livestock from old rusty wire to cure me off it for life.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page