Health: General
 green pupils
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

allymeagan

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  5:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit allymeagan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed just a week or so ago that one of our younger males has a weird reflection in his eyes. It looks like the pupil is green and kind of reflective. Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm wondering if this would indicate that he's going blind or something. He doesn't seem to have any trouble seeing right now. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Allison

SledRun

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SledRun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should really take him to the vet. One of my dog's eye was dilated today and the vet told us to come right away. It turned out to be uveitis and she probably would have gone blind without treatment. You can read more about it here:

http://www.eyevet.info/uveitis.html

Also, this next site shows a dog with the following description: "The green yellow reflection from one eye coming from the back of the eye through a widely dilated pupil. This eye has glaucoma. The darker brown eye is normal."

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/glaucoma-in-dogs/page2.aspx

I'd recommend calling an emergency center, since it is Saturday. I hope that helps, and good luck.

Gone Sleddin'
Sarah
www.doggedjuniors.com

Edited by - SledRun on 02/11/2006 6:20:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

SledRun

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SledRun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some additional information and pictures about Glaucoma:
http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/glaucoma.htm

Gone Sleddin'
Sarah
www.doggedjuniors.com
Go to Top of Page

allymeagan

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  8:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit allymeagan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It listed the symptoms for glaucoma as:
A red eye
A very squinty and painful eye
A lot of tearing
A dilated pupil that doesn’t react to light
A cloudy (whitish/blue) cornea (front surface of the eye)
A big, bulging eye (a condition known as buphthalmia)
Vision loss

Boomer doesn't have any of these that I can tell. Both pupils are the same colour, not just green, but it's as if you can see into his eyes. I do recall seeing a dog that looked similar to this. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly how he looked, but he was blind.

Allison

Edited by - allymeagan on 02/11/2006 8:49:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

SledRun

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit SledRun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No matter what it is, it sounds like his vision is at stake, so I'd call the vet even if it's just to talk to them over the phone to see what they think.

Gone Sleddin'
Sarah
www.doggedjuniors.com
Go to Top of Page

smushybanana

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  10:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit smushybanana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No offense, but are you sure you aren't just seeing the normal reflection in the eyes? There is something in the dogs' eye that gives a green reflection if the light hits it right, and it sounds like that is what you are seeing. If so, it is perfectly normal and you can see it in any dog if the light hits it right. Except in blue-eyed dogs, it looks red. If you look at your dogs with a headlamp, all you see is the reflected green/red orbs.
I hope you get it figured out.

Hilary Schwafel
Go to Top of Page

allymeagan

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  08:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit allymeagan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought at first, so I started checking out all the dogs' eyes and never really saw it. But I've been seeing it in him every time I check. I might give a vet a call this week and see.

Thanks all.

Allison
Go to Top of Page

Bluedog

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds pretty serious, I think you should take hime to the vet just in case. Better to be safe than sorry! If he does end up going blind, you will wish you spent the extra time and money to get him checked out, I think...I don't know anything about what is going on, but I knew someone once whose dog had a similar condition and if they hadn't taken the dog in soon it would have gone blind.

~*Rian and Blue!*
Go to Top of Page

Jen Maddalena

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dog that has a blue and brown eye. The one that is blue reflects green and the other that is brown reflects red. Looks weird when the light hits it just right.

Jen and Michaela
Go to Top of Page

SledRun

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  4:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit SledRun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any news, Allison?

Gone Sleddin'
Sarah
www.doggedjuniors.com
Go to Top of Page

allymeagan

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit allymeagan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's just a weird reflection he gets. I checked the other day but didn't see it. I'll likely take him in for a check-up sometime just to make sure. Right now I'm got a nasty flu, so I haven't gotten very far.

Thanks,
Allison
Go to Top of Page

C. Savagian

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its probably just the tapetum reflecting back at you. The tapetum is a structure behind the retina that reflects light. If you shine a penlight into the eyes of dogs & cats it is often fairly obvious. Another good example is the deer in headlights- that reflected light from their eyes is caused by the tapetum. If you have a checkup with your vet you may want to point it out so that he/she can see if its is hyper-reflective (a sign of disease)and request a lesson on looking into normal vs. abnormal eyes and what are good markers for ocular disease.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page