Skijoring - General
 Pulling people on snow boards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SharkyX

Canada
681 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  2:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit SharkyX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well some of my friends have started to take an interest in my skijoring and they would just like to see what the dog can do. Problem is, none of them have there own X-country ski's they are all snowboarders.
So I thought, could just get the dog to tow them one at a time for a quick distance like 500 meters and just hook a regular leash to the harness, so you'd end up with something like wake boarding.

I'm wondering if anybody has done this before? Do you think it would work or am I just crazy?

Thanks

Sharky

Klondike`OR`bust

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  5:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Klondike`OR`bust's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tried it, but I'm not much of a snowboarder (can't even fake it!) so I let go pretty quickly. As long as the dog wont run away when the person lets go (cause ya know it's bound to happen) then you should be ok...or make sure the person lets go before they land on/hurt the dog. I wouldnt suggest it for longer than you mentioned because there is no way to help the dog when he gets tired.
ANNIE

Annie Hammond
Answering Call Kennel: Racing Siberian Huskies. http://www.freewebs.com/answeringcall/
Go to Top of Page

SharkyX

Canada
681 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SharkyX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah well I was thinking I would get one person to hold the dog, one person on a snow board holding leash, and I would just walk the 500m(and have a pocket full of dog treats just incase).
Any of my friends that want to try it are all pretty good snowboarders... although as I've discovered... going down a hill and being pulled by a dog are two very different things
Go to Top of Page

stitchwitch

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  2:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stitchwitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be very careful the boarder don't ride up on the dog, as snow boards do have metal edges. Several years ago when we were filming a skijoring demo for Animal Planet, an experienced snow boarder used one of our leaders to try Boardjoring with. Needless to say the ride was very fast and exciting; however, he failed to stop quick enough when the time came to and he grazed the dogs foreleg, lacerating it pretty badly. Please be aware of that and be careful. That is one of the reasons metal edges are not allowed by most clubs for skijoring.
Go to Top of Page

Kennel GB5

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kennel GB5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stitchwitch

Needless to say the ride was very fast and exciting; however, he failed to stop quick enough when the time came to and he grazed the dogs foreleg, lacerating it pretty badly. Please be aware of that and be careful.

Snowboarding since time began. Thought about it but still never tried it. I would suggest that you ajust your front binding with some serious angle but not straight. just like a race board. Then either remove the highback and the ankle strap on the rear binding, so you can skate when the dog/s need help.(or if you have step in's you won't have to do this to your rear binding but straighting your front binding will help for skateing) And if your one of those guys or gals who always wipes out getting of the lift cause you cant ride with one foot for gosh sake's stay away from your dog! Untill you can make sliding turns all the way down the hill with one foot strapped and one foot stomped!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23504675840&v=wall&ref=ts

Edited by - Kennel GB5 on 12/13/2005 10:42:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Polaris7

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  3:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just going to post whether or not anyone has tried this. Im not very good at boarding, but I do own one and tried it for about 10 seconds yesterday with front foot in binding and back foot loose and a bungee leash attached to my waste. I "mock" fell to see how I might land and it would not have been good with any amount of speed in front of me, legs we both twisted. Needless to say I said "forget that" and decided to SIT down on my snow board... Dog Chief and I both had a blast!... easy, harmless wipe outs too, but I AM going to cover the edges as a precaution
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  08:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread. YUP, keep the back foot un-buckled, so you can help when necessary. Edges are a trickey business. Might use Gaffer's tape on the 'forward' edge only? Just a thought.

Sally

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last
Go to Top of Page

Steve Bergemann

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check these out.

www.sleddogcentral.com/fun_photos/Heilbrunn_dan_Skatemushing.jpg

www.sleddogcentral.com/fun_photos/Stitt_dogboarding.jpg

Steve

Edited by - Steve Bergemann on 02/25/2014 11:27:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

D.Heilbrunn

Canada
320 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  5:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That photo sure brings back some good memories, thanks Steve. I believe it was taken in May, 5 or 6 years ago. My only two cents regarding snowboarding with dogs is that most of the photos I see with people doing it (especially with 6-8 dogs), or being pulled on a wakeboard on the water, make me cringe. It seems extremely dangerous for the dogs because you can lose the team so easily and you can't hook down if there is a tangle.

If you're just giving your friends short rides it'll probably be alright, but I would think you'd need two or three dogs to get the snowboard moving on flat ground. Goofing around last week I tried to get one of my dogs to pull me down the road, but there just wasn't enough dog power to get us going. If you've got an ice road near by though... that changes everything

Edited by - D.Heilbrunn on 02/25/2014 11:10:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Polaris7

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  08:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, great photos! Omg tho!
Sally, why that type of tape? I looked it up.. Pricey.
Im going to come up with something for dryland besides
the awful big, heavy, brain jarring 3 wheel cart I own... Maybe like an
Adult size tricycle with durable wheels. Ideas?
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Polaris7 - How about Gaffer's tape is to duck tape, what duck tape is to Scotch tape. TOUGH STUFF without any excess bulk. Its what theater etc. people use to hold down microphone cables and other things that will take a beating during use. You might have to re-apply duck tape once a week vs. gaffers tape once a season? The similarity it shares with duck tape is, don't let two stickey sides touch each other.

Sally

N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Go to Top of Page

Camera-dog

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Camera-dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is the only one i could find on youtube. http://youtu.be/rlaplO2Sgb0

new to mushing and more than willing to work.
I can drive trucks atv's and snowmobiles.
Go to Top of Page

balzakjeff

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  12:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hijacking the thread a little...yes, Gaffer's tape sticks to stuff really well, I've known people to tape down cables on grass, and it is tough. It is also a flat black, good for public view and not reflective. Ironically, one of its best properties is that when you do remove it (and in theatre, very few things are permanent) it tends not to leave the sticky residue that duct tape leaves. In a sled dog related use, we repaired Jerry's ATV seat with it...and it is still holding...

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  8:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought (courtesy of a snow-board instructor) would be to purchase a cheap and/or used board and file down and round the forward edges.

Sally

N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page