Health: General
 vaccinations 101
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

869 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit swanny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nicki, the 2011 AAHA Vaccination Guidelines were recently released, and provide a pretty good description of the differences between infectious and non-infectious vaccines. All of the core vaccines except rabies are infectious vaccines, and provide long term, perhaps even lifetime immunity. Meanwhile, rabies and the majority of the non-core vaccines are noninfectious, and have a more limited duration of immunity.

It's worth downloading the document from

I posted a sort of "reader's digest" version on my own blog at, but I'm a paramedic, not a veterinarian - so my explanations may be a bit simplistic (or even totally out to lunch).

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. William Francis Butler
Go to Top of Page

1513 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  06:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, Swanny, Dr Vanek and others, I have read it through a couple of times and pick up on something new each time.

I have a question re: Corona Virus, I remember this being a problem some years ago but havent heard much about it since. As I understand there are two types, one can be immunized against and one cant. Is that valid?

I am taking some pups to Alaska soon, in July, they will have had the puppy shots and boosters plus rabies.

Plus heartworming and others.

Is there any value to immunizing against Corona? Is it still a danger?

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page