Automatic Poop Picker-Upper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RunAmok

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  10:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought I would throw this out here to see if anyone has tried this.

Our lawn tractor had been broken and it was a long time since the last time I had cut the grass. My next door neighbor saw how much grass was on the lawn (despite our "mulching blade") and lent me her lawn-sweeper. It is one of those things that you pull behind a tractor mower which sweeps the grass clippings into a big bin that you dump out.

It worked great on the lawn and as I drove around the yard thoroughly enjoying how nice the lawn looked and how I planned to never touch another rake again, I began to think that it shouldn't be terribly hard to modify the lawn-sweeper into a Poop Picker-Upper. I was pretty sure that I am not the first person to ever think of this and I was just wondering if there were any of you more inventive folks out there who had actually tried this.

If dragging the lawn-sweeper behind a tractor was fun picking up grass while I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I was NOT raking, I can't imagine how much fun the modified lawn-sweeper/poop picker-upper would be.

Dare I dream...?

Chris Michaeles

Kurt S

Norway
309 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt S's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ohhhhhh the handler works great for me...

Kurt & his maniac athletes.

Happy trail out there...
Go to Top of Page

Rob_Valli

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  1:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rob_Valli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ehheheehehhe

Go to Top of Page

RunAmok

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  10:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was kind of joking, but partly serious. Has anyone ever tried to develop this???

Go to Top of Page

Rob_Valli

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  2:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rob_Valli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no I haven't but I think its a great idea.... just thought Kurt was funny:)

... honestly I think it would be pretty hard.... everything would have to be pretty perfect.... appropriate substrate, good piles of nicely formed stool, etc, otherwise I think one way or another you'd just smear it all over the ground or all over the contraption.

I would I think your best bet would be to operate it on something like fine gravel ...then drive over it with a steet sweeper/rake-like rotating brush, scoop it up and then leave behind a nice groomed swath, which would be pretty cool.... I have an old pole barn with 3 loads of gravel in it.... I use a mucking rake and it works like a charm, like kitty litter. Unfortunately, you need a roof or the snow comes in and you're back to a shovel.

The problem I see is how (on uneven rocky ground) does the machine know the difference between a rock, a pile of crap, and crap that is spread around with rock and dirt..... you'll just suck up the ground and end up with too much waste material

maybe the cheapest/best way is a handler? If you ever go to Dan McEachen's Krabloonik in CO, you will walk down 100 steps to the kennel, that is shoveled clean by mushers who complain about shoveling steps.... they talk about building a roof and snow blowers etc, but when it comes down to it, cheap human labor is tough to beat sometimes.

Edited by - Rob_Valli on 09/07/2004 2:53:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

rbibber

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  3:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My "automatic pooper-scooper" is my kids!

On alternating days they each have to pooper-scoop the dog yard as one of their chores that they have to do after school. (great character building!)

They've gotten so used to it that they don't even complain about it anymore!

Robert Bibber
Karob Sled Dog Kennels
http://www.karobsiberians.com
Go to Top of Page

DoggDriver

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess there is a reason to have kids after all!

Go to Top of Page

rbibber

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah - they make decent handlers

(Actually - My daughter is 10 and I am seriously considering getting her a sled now that we may soon have enough dogs for two teams.)

Robert Bibber
Karob Sled Dog Kennels
http://www.karobsiberians.com
Go to Top of Page

RunAmok

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  11:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are probably right. Now with those kids... Is is politically correct to keep them on a tie-out or in a kennel these days, or have I missed my chance on that too? I also hear that they (especially the boys) can eat a lot and apparently some of them even want you to buy them cool clothes and maybe even send them to college.

Maybe poop-scooping by hand isn't that much work after all....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page