Equipment
 Summer training carts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Susan Evenden

Canada
677 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  09:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan Evenden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to re-ask an old questions, but I'm interested in the best summer train cart.

I run 3-4 dogs (we're beginners) and my husband likes to go away in the winter... wants to go away for 10 weeks in 2005/06 aaaaah!!!!

In the name of family peace and harmony, I've decided that in order to get more mushing time with the dogs, I'll purchase a training cart, that way I'll enjoy them summer and winter and maybe enjoy my husband also.

All feedback welcome.

dogsled_musher1

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  08:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit dogsled_musher1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my training rig from Clyde Risdon. My rig is called a "Small Training Rig". I use it for four dogs but more could be hooked to it. He also has a "Medium Weight Rig". Clyde lives in Laingsburg, Michigan. His website is www.risdonrigs.com

Good luck

Howling Ridge Kennel
Go to Top of Page

EC

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I must say Clyde Risdon does make excellent Rigs, I know he can make any style you want. I'm sure you don't the heavy rig, at least for summer. But those are great for fall training. If I'm not mistaken Ken Chezik stills trains with Clyde's heavy Risdon rigs. Another person to contact is Frank Hall also from Michigan (Battle Creek).

Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3013 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  11:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Susan,
I like the Risdon's as well, however try Gar Morey, he will make you a nice one and cater to you. He has an add on SDC here or
www.outlawdogsleds.com Give him a call since he has 'other' models not currently on the site, or may make custom too.

Adirondack Kennel
Go to Top of Page

Scott L.P.

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have and run my cart that I used on the Oregon Sand Dunes and many logging roads that is oh 10 years old now. It has 4 air plane cesna 600/6 I think it is tires on it but could be converted to lawn tractor tires for more traction or even go cart tires. Its like the sand lynix avertised in mushing mag by Jim Tolfflemire. If your ever interested in one like that contact me and I'll put you in contact wih a friend who makes them for less money.

Scott L.P.
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  05:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the archives here, there are at least several threads with a lot more makers listed.

jake levi
Kennel Yakutia Laika
jlevi_us@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Susan Evenden

Canada
677 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  09:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan Evenden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've done some looking around... SandLynx is 4 wheels, the others I've seen are 3 wheels. I'm going to check out having one made locally. What I need to know, motorized 3 wheels vehicles are unstable and have resulted in injury and death. Motorized Quads are now the standard.

How stable are 3 wheel dog training rigs? Is there not the risk of them tipping and spilling you on the ground? Would it be safer for me to have a 4 wheel version made, or are the 3 wheeled versions stable because they aren't going the speeds that a motorized 3 wheel vehicle goes?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Scott L.P.

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  3:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tryed a 3 wheel type after driving my 4 wheeled cart and what a difference. I really think its what kind of terrain your running. But, I'd like to have killed myself on that 3 wheeled cart. Like anything different you have to get use to it though. I know they changed the rules on 3 wheeled carts for running the Dunes to 4 wheels. However,I've seen a 3 wheeler do the trip with a very experienced driver on it. The problem is going down the steep dunes is where you don't have the control and can run over your wheel dogs. You can do that with any cart though. I wish I could put some kind of shock system on mine to give my back a break. Another thing I like about mine is I can take dogs out into the swamp and with the tires and wooden deck it will float threw deep water and dosen't drag the wheel dog under the water because its sinking. Susan if your going to get one made locally I can take some measurements off mine and take some picture and e-mail them to you.

Scott L.P.
Go to Top of Page

Susan Evenden

Canada
677 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  4:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan Evenden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be super. evenden@kmts.ca
All help welcome

Go to Top of Page

Scott L.P.

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  04:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll sit down monday and send them Susan. I bought some new furniture for my B-day and get to pick it up tomarrow. Dang I have to clean my house now and put all my tools in an already over stuffed shed.

Scott L.P.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page