My dog chipped her main k9 tooth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

katie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  9:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know what to do...the nerve is exposed in my labs main k9 tooth cuz she chipped about 1/3 of it on a ball... Should I pay $2000 to get it capped?

Katie

NorthernBordersKennel

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  12:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to have a vet look at it to see if the nerve really is exposed. All but one of my dogs have their K9s chipped and I didn't have any capped. They also broke off about 1/3 but my boss said in my case it was not enough to warrent surgery. Dogs have pretty strong teeth as well as good "cavity protection" and they need to chip off quite a bit to cause a problem. Does your dog seem to be reluctant to chew/eat at all? What does your vet say?

Liz & the pack
ILuvWulfs@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

mush24-7

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just my personal experience...I had a dog's tooth capped to the tune of alot of $$$$ and the tooth died anyway and ended up being pulled. Dogs are so hard on their teeth, that caps OFTEN don't work out. I had another dog who had a badly infected canine and had the whole tooth removed. He didn't have a problem at all adjusting. One of my Malamutes had most of his teeth kicked out by a horse and he too was fine.

Go to Top of Page

katie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  1:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it ok if I let her go for awhile and see if she is can adjust since she is still eating? Will there be a possiblility the tooth can survive?

Katie
Go to Top of Page

Dori

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  7:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dori's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Katie, I wouldn't worry about it too much. About 10 years ago I was feeding dogs when Mitzie looked at me with a sad expression. That was very unusual for this dog so I took a closer look. To my horror I saw her canine sticking out the side of her mouth at a 90 degree angle. The closest vet was 125 miles away. I couldn't stand to look at her like that so I ran my hand down her muzzle and the tooth popped and went down to about a 45 degree angle. I was a bit surprised, but it worked so well that I did it again and the tooth popped back in place. Mitzie gave me a look that said she knew I could do it & then comenced to eat her food. I gave her soft food for a week, but that was it. Mitzie is 13 now and still has the tooth.

Go to Top of Page

juice

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit juice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, ideally the tooth should be removed or have a root canal. if the root is exposed, it will predispose the tooth to infection and it may lose blood supply. ultimately, if you don't do anything, it may turn black and infected and you can get a really bad tooth root abscess. at the same time, lots of dogs chip their teeth without any problems, so...on that note, a vet would recommend it having a root canal to save the tooth. if you aren't worried about saving it, and can monitor it carefully, ultimately you can have it pulled if it dies...just monitor for infection though (not eating, swollen jaw or eye area, etc.)
juice
Go to Top of Page

jan

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  5:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Juice, other than infection risk is there any other reason to remove a dead tooth? I had the same thing in one of my pets. She caught her tooth on something (I have no idea what) but it was sticking out at a 90 degree angle. I did the same thing Dori did and she eats fine, doesn't seem to have trouble with it, no swelling or tenderness, no foul smell, but the tooth is darkening. SO, I presume it's dead. She doesn't seem to have any trouble, though. Can I leave it in there and watch it or is there a high risk with that? Thanks again for all of your awesome help in this forum. jan

Go to Top of Page

juice

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  09:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit juice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi jan,
well, being that dogs are a lot more stoic than they seem, i'm sure it's painful until the tooth root is completely dead (imagine a deep cavity or infected wisdom tooth for you). so, it's probably painful, and for that reason, is worth taking out. if it's dead and black -- it's best to take it out vs. a root canal, as the risk of infection to the jaw or a retrobulbar abscess (in back of the eye) is much more difficult and expensive to treat (and more invasive). so, while tooth root canals are more expensive (they are much more timely, more experience is required, etc.), i'd in the least, recommend completely extracting tht tooth!

justine
Go to Top of Page

needtosled

Canada
251 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  10:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As A human dental asst. Leaving a dead tooth in the gum can cause some possible problems. if the tooth were to break off below the gum line the tooth would continue to decay and cause infection or small chunks may become enlodged in the gum and again cause infection. after the nerve of any tooth dies and if you have been blessed with no abcess or extreme pain, the tooth structure becomes weak and will loose the strength it had and break and chip of in small bits if this happens you will be paying alot to get all the bits of tooth removed.

My dog had a molor which needed root canal. I decided not to do it because like I said the tooth becomes weak even if you place a crown on it. so I did not want to put money out for root canal crown and then replacement of the crown when lost( which will happen) humans are very careful with their crowns and they still come loose over time. So we pulled her tooth she was happy no more pain and she has plenty of others to chew on.

Go to Top of Page

Traleahsibes

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  07:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi my adult sibe bitch two front teeth became loose and i left them alone for a month then relised that she must be finally having difficulity as the adult male was trying to get her alpha status. I took her to vet and he booked her in for following week. During that time a friend of mine,who is a one dog sibe owner usually borrows a dog for a day to amuse her boy, had given her a bone and she came back with no front teeth! Went to vet and they said to keep an eye to make sure gums closed up and that i had just saved myself 70. Then the week after my Crown of 9 years came out(typical!).

tracy thompson
Go to Top of Page

siberxlnce

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  11:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Sabretooth lying on my dresser. Last year, my pups were always trying to figure out ways to get out of their kennel to play with dad who was chained next to the puppy kennel fence. Well, one day I saw this tooth lying on the ground so I figured two of the bitches got twisted over whos pups they were anyway. I checked them out and they were both fine. Puzzled, I gave it up as a tooth one of the dogs dug up. A few days later I saw Sabre (the dad) helping the pups in their cause tugging at the chain link fence with his teeth; upon a quick inspection I came to know the truth of the Sabretooth.

Blue Steel Siberians
Bred to Exellence
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page