Purebreds
 Malamute working kennel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to investigate working together with other "working" malamute kennels. We are serious into dog sledding, and would like to find others out there with the same goals. http:hometown.aol.com/geepaks

swesche

Canada
577 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  11:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can check with Hans Oetti in Whitehorse, Yukon. He is the owner of Tanzilla harness supplie/ Duffys Pets store there.
I dont know how much or if he still races, but he does run them, and they are not the show dogs ( I belive )
He is really nice and easy to talk to as well. Just check on the net for a contact number, they dont have a website that I am aware of.

sarah
Go to Top of Page

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  2:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, lots of readers but no takers.

Thanks anyway's for reading, and maybe one day we can meet on the trail.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

joca

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey bob- where are you? we have 25 dogs and run a malamute team and an alaskan team near Lake Tahoe, CA. All the races in CA were cancelled last winter, so we plan to travel next year- Montana, Idaho, WA, OR for mid-distance races

Jo

Go to Top of Page

staj

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  9:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
We have friends in the Tug Hill region of NY state. About a year ago we adopted two Sibes from them which enabled them to purchase 3 more mal pups and more Alaskans. They probably have approx. 15-20 dogs in their kennel at present. She runs and weight pulls and has also shown her mals. She is not overly fond of the show scene but one of her goals is to breed her own mals and build a respectable running team. He races the Alaskans. They are both actively involved in weight pulling. I'm not sure if she follows this forum but I will pass on your post. Are there any details you want me to add? Also, is the distance a factor?

Staj

Go to Top of Page

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  11:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Joca,

We are located in mid-Michigan. We also have a kennel of Mals and Alaskans. I run the Mals, but had to add Alaskans for my daughter.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  11:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staj,

Please ask them to check out our site so they can see what we are doing with our mals (www.hometown.aol.com/geepaks).

We are currently running sprint (7 miles) and have done mid-distance (30 mile class). Would like to take next team into 60 -70 mile range. We also do fun runs of 10-20 miles and overnight campouts, along with many demos.

Looking to stick with traditional standard - 23inch female, and 25 inch males

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Go to Top of Page

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again to all that have helped me - either from posts to this forum, or private e-mails. I have already started making contacts and look forward to continuing our working line Mals for the future.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

swesche

Canada
577 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  1:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geepacks
Did you get Hans phone number, if not let me know and I will get it for you.

sarah
Go to Top of Page

staj

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  10:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Been away from the computer a few days. Truck problems and my favorite nemesis "hotspots".

I will tell our friends to check out your web page and then contact you if they are interested. I believe they too are heading toward the breed standard in height. They have had "giant mals" but they prefer the size you mention. Seems to me you may have similar goals.
Take care,
Staj

Go to Top of Page

Katie Betts

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  08:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm building up an all Mal team for here in the UK and hopefully to run in Europe within the next 4 years, any advice or fellow moans would also be appreciated!
KT

KT
Go to Top of Page

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  11:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie,

Whats you experience with Mals, and how large of a team are you planning on building? What type of race will you be running?

Go to Top of Page

staj

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  9:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Our hard drive died a day or so after I last emailed you. Now that we're back online I'll be passing along your info to our friends. I still think they'd be interested in a sharing of knowledge and experiences etc.
Sorry for the significant delay.
staj

Go to Top of Page

geepaks

42 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Staj.

Bob

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly