Loss of hair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bethscott

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2001 :  9:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone out there had a dog lose hair. It starts out in small patches and has gradually gotten bigger. The dog has lost alot of hair and has been brought in the house. The vet has run lots of tests. Started with mites and medicines. That did not work more meds. Then cultures and dog had' stitches where this was done. More meds. Supose to be some kind of fungus. Would be great for some info if anyone has it.

DogBreath

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2001 :  11:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do you mean the dog did or didn't have mites? Or it started with mites and now its a fungus? One of our dogs was a shelter rescue and he had lost a lot of hair due to an infestation from Demodex canis mites. These are part of the normal flora of dogs, but can overrun the dog if their immune system is weakened. Did the vet identify the species of mite, if it was mites?
Go to Top of Page

bethscott

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2001 :  4:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have made myself more clear. The vet treated the dog for mites, but tests showed the dog did not have them.
Go to Top of Page

DH

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2001 :  10:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had dogs loose hair because of an alergy to straw. I put them on Cedar chips & within a few weeks their hair grew back just fine. Some of those same dogs did okay on a better quality of straw, but I would try the chips first. Sometimes thyroid can be a problem.
Go to Top of Page

ac_colello

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2001 :  10:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a female that has lost patches of hair due to a bacterial infection on her skin. The vet said if he patches aren't too big or not in many places a topical cream can be put on it. I put my female on an oral anti-biotic that clears it up

Anthony Colello
ac_colello@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

David Lowry

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2001 :  12:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its ringworm or some other fungus, try betadine followed by topical antifungal cream- lots of non-prescription options. You have to treat it for 2-4 weeks. Nasty stuff, it helps to shave of surrounding fur to get the medicine to the skin. I believe the fungus thrives on the hair follicles- and so hair loss results.

David Lowry
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2001 :  4:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still not clear as to the size of the spots of hair loss. Is this a general overal condition, localized to an area, or is it spots which gradually expand to some inches across? If the later, is the skin reddish under the hair loss area? If so, it could be 'hot spots', a dietary problem.

Could you discribe the appearance of the areas affected please?

If its 'hotspots' this can be corrected, if its a larger area it could be a thyroid or mineral imbalance.
Go to Top of Page

bethscott

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2001 :  6:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been treating the dog since late nov. She was treated for mites 1st. test did prove not be be mites. Next step was to treat her with meds for ring worm. Did clear up some then continully got worse. At first the hair on the bridge of her nose and above her eyes was gone and we thought it was from rubing her head on the ground in the snow after a run. Then she started loseing hair on her legs. We noticed at first on her front legs and then on her back legs. Next we noticed patches of hair on her sides now it is more on her back. Large patches. The vets did do some tissue samples and said that he ammune system is not working right to fight off much of anything. We had heard that dogs can have allergies to foods. Which all of this started around the time we started feediing eggs. Quit feeding eggs and she is basiclly getting dry food now. Just wondered if anyone else had had a simular problem. Should have explained myself better in 1st post. Sorry
Go to Top of Page

IN

USA
638 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2001 :  7:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit IN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your vet is right. Her immune system is not working right, it can not deal with certain kind of parasite (I don't remember the name) in the skin. Every dog has the parasite, but normally they can deal with it. It starts with hair loss around the ears and eyes and spreads all over the body. There is nothing you can do about it. Large doses of Ivomectin seem to work a little. Also giving antibiotic helps (most of the time the skin where the hair fells off is red and infected). We had a couple of dogs with the same problem. Got really bad, had to put them down. Sorry to tell you this, but there is not much you can do, just try to keep it under control for as long as you can. Slowly it will keep getting worst. It is a genetic thing, so I do not reccomend to breed the dog or the dog's littermates.

IN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page