Help! My dog is an escape artist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottcclarke

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  07:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After harnessing up my dogs to the ATV yesterday...one of them, who is a notorious escape artist, turned around and faced me and backed out of his harness and started running down the road.

How can you stop this!!!

swampdogz

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  07:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- Neckline.
How did he escape the neckline? If he slipped his collar, it's too loose. If he chewed it, get cable necklines for him.
- Belly band.
Some people with dogs like that use a band across the belly of the harness. Be sure it is tight enough to prevent escape, but not too tight so that it constricts.
- Maybe.... tighten up the distance between neckline and tugline so that he cannot 'turn around'.
-Train him.
Use whatever positive/negative training method you want. Take the time before running to get him settled in. With some of our more hyper-spaz line-chewing dogs, Diane and I will actually sit there with them trying to simply get them to calm down. Massage behind the shoulder blades and a calm voice does wonders. Over time they learn to calm down in harness (somewhat). I spend 4 hours one night with our neckline chewers before leaving for a run. We didnt have any more problems with neckline chewing that year. We now have the same problems with our young dogs... I'll have to sit down with them one night while they wait for me to finish building their necklines before we run:)

Go to Top of Page

Ladysibes

Canada
468 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belly bands!
You can use an extra neckline or a puppy collar - one of the ones with a plastic easy to open/close clasp - like the ones on backpacks etc.. Attach belly band to harness just below the last rib join on your harness. Works well...
Should not take too long to get the dog used to the idea that the harnes is not the boogey man and wearing it eventually means fun...

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

swesche

Canada
577 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he does not slip the collar, you can put a neck line and slip it through the collar an snap it though the neck piece onf the harness,ans snap it back to itself, not as annoying for my dogs as the belly bands,but they do work, as long as you make sure he wont chew the belly band up.

sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page