Sled bridle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

brad6006

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  05:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So last week the bridle on my sled hung up on a stump and the rope broke where it passes thru the hole in the right runner at the front of the sled, luckily the left side held, although it was frayed. I had some rope that looked similar to the bridle rope and replaced the bridle yesterday. Ran dogs yesterday afternoon and the rope broke immediately where it passes through both runners, so I'll throw that rope away. I looked down and the snowhook hanging on my sled was the only thing holding 6 dogs to my sled.

So a couple questions...it seems like the rope passing through holes in the aluminum runners is just a good place for frayed rope and broken lines. I know it has to run thru there, but are people doing anything to soften those sharp edges, some sort of sleeve to pass the rope through?

What type of rope should I use for a new bridle. From searches I've done, looks like maybe a polyethlene rope, what size?

I've read about a ring on the front of the sled to keep the bridle rope up where it wont be as likely to hang up on something. Would this ring attach to the brushbow or?

If someone has pics to send me, I'd sure appreciate it. I have no mushers around that I can go get advice from.
Thanks!

midnightwind

Canada
514 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  08:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sleeves work well if there is room. I have an older sled and the bridle rope goes through the bed. I use sections of bicycle inner tube as a sleeve. Ideally the bridle should have a backup. Run a line from the gangline directly to some handy part of the sled like the brush bow - just make sure it is longer than the bridle setup. 16 strand hollow braid polyethylene rope is what my supplier has for ganglines, bridles and snow hook line. There are other options. They also feature 1/2" double braided nylon but I haven't used that.
Go to Top of Page

midnightwind

Canada
514 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  8:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's the link: https://tanzilla.ca/tanzilla/catalog/index.php?cPath=32_54
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  07:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N
Hi brad6006
Is your sled a runner toboggan?
I always "DO NOT' go through holes. In my experience I am much better off finding a way around that set-up no matter if its on a sled, quad, truck, tractor or W.H.Y..
In one instance I used 1/4inch 7/21 aircraft cable, and a few nuts. a 12 lb sledge hammer as my anvil and a regular ball peen hammer, my handi-dandi Leather man and a hacksaw blade.
I looped an end and "smacked" a nut, threaed the open end thru the "bridle hole(bh)" then a nut, then around the runner and thru' the(bh) again, another loop with a smacked nut. The rope from the stantion went thru' the first loop(behind runners) and tightend and tied,,,,then the other side. Now the "fore bridle"(that V with the loop that we hook the gangline to).... measure and tie securely to the "fore loops".
This was done in a somewhat emergency situation when I had limited resources, but it worked so well that not only did I make it home I made changes and using proper tools and materials/parts, started using that on my other sleds.
So, lesson, fibre rope, no matter the material used, is prone to snap when rubbing back and forth on any material...even it's self.

If I could put pix on here I know itd be much easier to comprehend my written pic but I hope this helps you.

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])
Go to Top of Page

brad6006

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate the suggestions! Yes its a toboggan sled. Took some pictures to send to Adanac for advice and noticed a couple larger holes in plastic deck near the front that I plan to use when my rope arrives.
I also like the idea of running a cable through the holes in the runners. I'll probably set up a backup through the original holes with cable.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page