Boots for driver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Bergemann

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  5:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to get new boots for myself next year so I would like to know what kind of boot are you using? I will be looking for something working around the dog lot to running up to 50 mile runs. Probably need two different types. Just interested in what you feel comfortable in. Thanks for your input.

Steve

midnightwind

Canada
514 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  9:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for running, NEOS Navigator
Go to Top of Page

Dougskijors

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dougskijors's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also really like the NEOS.
My current pair do not have cleats, but they give good grip.
Mine are not insulated but even so they add a lot of warmth.
I think I am more or less finished with ordinary winter boots; the NEOS are so flexible.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Bergemann

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  4:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I was pretty sure that NEOS are the way to go for an outer boot. Now I would like to know what kind of inner boot do you prefer? I have one ankle that gives me a problem once in a while so I need something that laces up like a leather work boot ( 8 inch).

Steve
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lobben boots. Light, flexible, lace up and warm .

I have two versions of Neos: both shorter, one with cleats and insulation, the other just the plain overshoe. Found that the taller Neos were just too cumbersome.

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last
Go to Top of Page

Jim Cunningham

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  8:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone,
This winter I have been wearing NorthFace Flow Chute winter boots.
HydroSeal Water Proof,TNF Wintergrip soles. I wear cotton sport socks in them and so far the coldest weather this year has been -32 C.
I do a lot of standing around officiating races. Haven't had a cold foot yet.
Heading to Churchill, Manitoba in two weeks and will be taking my all time favorite winter boots with me. I have the short boot NEOS with studs in them. I wear my felt sorel liners in the NEOS. Been down to -40C with them, before I start putting extra felt sole liners in under my sorel liners. Never heard of anyone freezing their ankles. Cold comes from the bottom up. So if my feet start to get cold, I take my sorel liners out and add another felt sole liner. This keeps the boots lightweight and my feet are still water proof. Had the NEO's with extra felt soles down to -52C. Change my cotton socks everyday and liners every other day. Never had a cold foot or toes yet. The NorthFace boots lace all the way up to the top, they have a tab to grab hold of to pull them on and a rubber piece on the back of the boot to push down on to take them off. Have worn them for 36 days (14 hour days)since I bought them. Nothing has happened yet with them.

Jimbo
Go to Top of Page

balzakjeff

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  08:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the dog yard, handling, and fall ATV training I wear Artic Sport Muck boots.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  10:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been outside prettymuch all my life. I've loved winter even as a wee, wee one.
Always, always, always....wool. Thin fine knit wool base layer socks and heavier wool socks knitted on bigger needles is better than fine. Wool breathes better and will keep your feet warm even though they get damp. Cotton retains water and takes forever to dry.
BunnyBoots for mucking and shorter runs & longer runs in warmer weather.
For pretty much any outdoor winter activity I still prefer my homemade "Wraparound" leathers. Hometanned elk is about the best with moose running a close second. Haven't tried horse although I hear it's good. I've been out all day in -35 to -40*C and half the night getting down to -45 to 50*C with a base wool(dress sock) & a cpl prs of home knit "Icelandic Socks" type in my Wraparounds. I've also used will felt liners and insoles. Warm but dense. Retains moisture. Still prefer wool socks.
Leather breaths and does not form a vapor barrier like rubber, nylon etc. I e seen some of the old people use canvas tops on Wraparounds but haven't tried them.
Apparently Steger Mukluks makes some good products. I can't say for sure because I've never worn them. But looking at them and hearing what others have said the canvas over leather on rubber is a good start with extra size and more wool socks. That's my speculation
I'll stick to my home tanned leather and wool or even better rabbit skin socks.

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page