Max miles for a dog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jeff Eberle

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the maximum miles you will let a dog do in a day ? I'm not a musher , but do look to you Musher for advice . The reason I ask is because one of my hunting dogs is 1/2 GSP 1/2 hound and has NO quit in him. I use gps collar on my dog that log distances traveled, in the same hunt this dog will log a 35 - 40 mile day to the other dogs 25 - 30 mile day in the same time frame. None of the dogs are fully spent at the end of the day, and are sometimes hunted 3 to 4 days in a row . But most of the time I hunt 1 or 2 days in a row with 1 or 2 day off.

GET JESUS IN YOUR LIFE AND YOUR DOGS IN THE WOODS

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  3:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've gone 60 miles a day for 4 days in a row. No problem.
Dogs have evolved as marathon runners. Well, I would not include Pug, Bulldog and some of the other more "unnatural" breeds. But overall the ability to run distance at a rather high speed is what gave "dog" (wolf and relatives) the ability to be the most widespread and successful top predator in the history of the earth( some would agree, some wouldn't).

I like your signature. I wish more people would have that in their hearts and not just their heads.

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually the dogs in the woods is arguable for me since a lot of the time they are used to hunt bear and wolf and coyote and other woodlands creatures that should not be subjected to our "sporting" ways.

I think Life is Beauty waiting to be found and appreciated. ...like mushing.
kissAnew(the long A sound) ="old man" in language of Ininiwak (Humans/People[Cree])
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  02:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question of maximum mileage probably has as many answers as there are styles of mushing: a sprint-racing team would consider 25 or so to be a good day, but a distance-racing team can do 50 to 100 miles easily. A trapper's team might be breaking trail all day and only make 20 miles of progress; a recreational musher's team might only be asked to do ten miles on an already-extant trail. So there's a heap of answers. If the dogs aren't tired at the end, then they're probably fine logging the distances you're seeing from the GPS.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page