Building a Rig
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HOmaley

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had any success with building their own three wheeled rigs, kinda like the ones from Artic Carts? I'm doing this for my high school senior project and have a few ideas on what to use. So far I'm going to use 1 1/2 inch tubular steel, and I'm thinking dirt bike tires to handle rougher terrain and be taller so I'm not stooping so low.
Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Haley

HOmaley

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  4:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I take that as a no then....
Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  09:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No but I had great success building a four wheel rig. Made from tubular steel. The front end was off an old but quality garden tractor. It had a seat for one passenger, Bearing wheels- NOT bushing. Brakes worked great. Handled a six dog team nicely. Ran ten occasionally. I scratched out a blueprint, handed the material to a welder friend of mine. A week later I had a cart. It had no suspension but the tubular steel and particularly the front end offered a smooth ride. I used that cart for fifteen years and easily put on a thousand miles per year. I passed it on to a another musher when I sold out my kennel. Great cart!!!
Go to Top of Page

HOmaley

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  2:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Old Geezer. I'll look into old garden tractor wheels
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Cac

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know my Uncle has had success for it. He builds rigs and scooters. I know for a fact he uses bikes for the frame part and then bike tires too, but I am not sure on to what type.

Carlleen
Carlleenssleddogs.weebly.com
A musher pursuing her dreams of owning her own with sled dog kennel and running the Iditarod!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page