Canicross: 2 dogs harness single file?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtlivestock

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While contemplating using single file harnessing for the dogsled next year, I was wondering if this would work for 2 dogs in canicross harnesses. Dogs are harnessed single file and hooked to lines, then bungee, and then my skijor belt. I have not seen this done and wonder if this will work. The first dog will be farther away and not directly hitched to you. I am thinking it would be be helpful on the narrow trails.
Anyone have tried this or have thoughts on this subject? Just trying to think ahead to spring. I don't race, but wonder if there is a rule against it in cani-cross competitions.

Christina

gonetodogs

Canada
245 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  11:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I raced many a race (both ISDRA and IFSS sanctioned) with a tandem skijor hitch. I used this hitch because, at the time, I had a very fast, strong, motivated leader and a powerful, fast, but easily distracted second dog. The tandem hitch solved the problem very well. You may find that you need a longer neckline for the wheel dog with this configuration.
Go to Top of Page

mtlivestock

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  4:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I am going to to try it soon.

Christina
Go to Top of Page

CrazyDaisy

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  08:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had some fighting issues and right now I'm running 3 dogs single file on the sled, at least till they are a bit tired, then I can put two of them side by side. Can totally be done, doesn't matter what harnesses you use. If you use a shortie harness (I assume that's what you mean by canicross harness) you might be able to put them a bit closer together. You could probably even run dogs partly overlapping, but if your trail is narrow you want one directly behind the other. If they are just trotting they can be closer, if loping full speed spread them further like regular team spacing because the dog in the back gets the snow from the first one thrown at their eyes.

I'm on really wide trails and find that sometimes a dog gets on the "wrong" side of the gangline and drifts over to the opposite side of the trail, right in the path of oncoming skidoos. If I feel skidoos are a danger, I stop and put the dog back.

The team gets more strung out that way, with less direct control over the leader, but if dogs bug each other when running side by side then it is the only option. Best to work with a single dog alone for a bit, then add the second one behind. Mine tend to pull harder if side by side, but on a fast icy trail that's not always an advantage.

I do single file with some dogs on the scooter also, or for skijoring.
Go to Top of Page

mtlivestock

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2016 :  12:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyDaisy

I do single file with some dogs on the scooter also, or for skijoring.

Never thought to do it with the scooter. I use wider trails or old logging roads with the scooter though. I might have to try that too. I don't have fighting issues with my dogs in harness...thank goodness.

Christina

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page