Dog Yard
 Kennel surface for dog yard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike Rosario

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Rosario's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would like to know what others are using in there dog yards for the surface. I would like to prevent my yard from getting real muddy in the spring or when it rains. Has any one had success with different surfaces...gravel, sand, wood platforms, sawdust, crushed limestone,or any other material that has worked. NOT INTERESTED IN CONCRETE! Also for those of you with wood platforms what has worked best plywood or decking, and is treated lumber an option or not? Thanks!

n/a

1042 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  6:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike.
My dog yard is located amoung the jackpines here in the Central UP. Jackpines = Sand. My yard is dry within 15 mins of rain and in the spring each circle is wet for only a day or so. If I lived elsewhere I would consider excevating a foot or two down and installing sand.

Mike Hutchens
Blue Lake Alaskan Huskies, Inc.
Gwinn Mi 49841
Go to Top of Page

farmin

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  9:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike
I have a few chainlink kennels that I have wood floors in I used green rough sawn 2x6 spruce on most of them they have been in use now for 7 years with minimal rot. I also have a couple with treated 2x6 and they work nicely also. The remainder of my kennel I have used 22a gravel over a sand base and some with just sand I preferr the 22a as we have heavy clay ground and once the gravel compacts the dogs don't dig. The kennels with just sand they excavate down to the clay and mix the clay with the sand and it results in a very fine powder that creates a dust bowl when its dry and a gooey mess when it rains. With the 22a surface I have to be careful when I bring new dogs into my kennel that have been on a soft surface as it
will wear their pads down quickly but they toughen up to it.

Go to Top of Page

Mary Lou

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  11:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, We're fortunate enough to have a sawmill and so I have access to wood chips which I find work great! Another plus is that fresh chips always gives my dogs a fresh pine smell!

Take Care, Mary Lou

Go to Top of Page

MegC

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  1:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried paving stones with some kind of substrate underneith? Curious as to how it worked out...

Go to Top of Page

doggirl

Canada
316 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  1:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meg C - My property is very rocky and the flat areas consist of a thin skiff of soil
over bedrock and does not drain very well. For my kennels I built a frame of landscape timbers, filled that in with gravel and then
set in patio stones. It drains very well
and the kennels are nice to hose out and keep clean. I would like to bring in more fill and gravel for my chain out area to raise it up bit and have better drainage (this summers project)
I like a gravel footing in the chainout areas
to keep down the mud and dust. Patio stones can be expensive to do a large area, but at least you can move your kennel area if you have to. I was in the military and ended up moving several times and I still have the
same patio stones! For a large dog operation I think chain-outs are still the way to go and anything that promotes good drainage(trenching, filling etc) are a good
idea in combination with mud control things like gravel, sawdust, sand etc - but your choice sometimes has to be temepered with what is available in your area.

Lynn Cheffins
Go to Top of Page

jan

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2002 :  8:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option (for those of us with many dogs and muddy breakup times) you can give them a nice area that is dry by taking a palette or two (freebies), attaching plywood on top (you can even use just a half sheet of plywood) so they have a nice dry spot to hang out until things dry up (except for those darned dogs that insist on getting muddy anyway because they love to flick it on your face when you feed them)... it is a pretty cheap and easy way to do this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page