Canola oil vs. corn oil vs. vegetable oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jake Robinson

USA
773 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  08:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen all three of these oils added to meat/kibble diets as a daily supplement. Which do you use and why? Is there any difference in the bioavailability between the three? Is one more effective than the others?

Do it by dog,
Jake

D.Heilbrunn

Canada
320 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  11:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best of the best is high grade vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol, which has the most bioavailability. At this grade, the oil isn't just a fat supplement, but useful antioxidant. This is what you find in human grade vitamin E pills, but I don't think it's economically possible (for most people) to feed it to the dogs. I've used Canola oil for years and when used in approximately the right ratio to an animal fat, it helps in the absorption of the animal fat. Here in town it's over $50 for 5 gallons of Canola oil, so we hauled a bakers dozen up from Whitehorse this year for half the price. Seems to keep them nice and shiny and helps keep them fat too. It was - 10C this morning and using 1.5 cups in the morning bucket for 12 dogs, and 1.5 cups in the evening seems to be working fine.

Edited by - D.Heilbrunn on 10/07/2015 11:19:04 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page