Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that my 7 month old GSD is about 1/8 wolf. I know you can't actually know unless you do a DNA test but I still believe she has some in her.

Aurora (GSD) and Cabela (Lab) <3

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  07:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Orange eyes are usually a give-away.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  05:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All dogs are wolves ----. If you want to believe-BELIEVE it's ok but according to research every dog evolved from the gray wolf.

Edited by - Old Geezer on 01/28/2015 05:43:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  2:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was told by someone else that only being an 1/8, I cant tell much. She doesn't have orange eyes.

And ya I know that's where all domesticated dogs originated from. I'm saying that I was told she's a hybrid. That her mom was 1/4 wolf.

Go to Top of Page

Jason M

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  7:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jason M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Find a vampire, and if your creature starts to growl and show an irrational hatred towards the blood sucker than you can rest assured you have a wolf. It is widely known in the sled dog world that wolves hate vampires. It is industry standard here to test questionable wolf/ dog hybrids up against vampires. Good luck and be careful
Go to Top of Page

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  9:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol... Not sure if you're trying to be funny, or a jack***. Or both lol

Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  05:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any traits you've witnessed, either in your pup or her mother if you've had the chance to spend time w/ her, which seem more wolf-like than dog-like? There's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that wolf-dog crosses are more opinionated (my term) than any dog breed, even the independent-thinking ones.

Any pictures?
Go to Top of Page

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  09:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as of today, I've had her for a week now. Do you have some examples of what you're meaning?

She hasnt has any obedience training so I feel like she doesn't want to listen that well, but she also doesn't really know any commands besides sit and lay down.

I'll try and post a picture. I'm on my phone so I'll see if I can figure it out lol

Go to Top of Page

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya im not sure how to post a pic on here

Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  10:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although you can't post a photo here, you can provide a link to photos you may have online.

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  11:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh ok, I'll see if I can figure something out!! :)

Go to Top of Page

RaigenB

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to my Tumblr page, I just posted like 8 or 9 pics of Aurora and some with my Lab, Cabela.

http://www.raigenbailey.tumblr.com

Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  06:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things like noticeable wariness around strange people (not just being a little shy--more like 'Who the heck is that I don't know that person I'm not going anywhere near them' wariness), an ultra-strong prey drive (not just chasing small animals, but chasing them w/ a 100% laser-like focus and the intent of eating whatever is being chased), and a strong dislike/disregard for training (since you said she knows "Sit" and "Down", this doesn't appear to be an issue). There's others, but I need to pull some of my sources first....

I'll look at the pix later this AM when I'm on a faster 'Net connection (home computer has dialup).
Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  5:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOOKS LIKE A GERMAN SHEPHERD TO ME. PEOPLE LOVE TO BELIEVE BUT I MAINTAIN ALL DOGS ARE WOLVES THAT IS FACT. Recently PBS did a two part series on the dog. Ray Coppinger has dedicated his life to canid studies. I trust his judgment. VIRTUALLY EVERY DOG IS A WOLF.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/dogs-that-changed-the-world-full-episode-dogs-that-changed-the-world-dogs-by-design/8372/

WATCH THIS TWO PART SERIES IF YOU CAN - IT MAY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

Edited by - Old Geezer on 02/01/2015 11:29:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

midnightwind

Canada
514 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dogs and wolves share a common ancestor - that doesn't mean dogs are wolves any more than people are apes. Apparently dogs are much more closely related to each other than to living wolves:

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/dogs-not-as-close-kin-to-wolves-as-thought-140116.htm
Go to Top of Page

RedWolf

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  4:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a gorgeous pup, and from the looks of her she's 100% GSD. Lovely dog; she photographs very well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page