Feeding a semi-retired dog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

balzakjeff

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a look at some of the older posts but would like to get some additional input for my situation.

We've adopted one of Jerry's 8 yo semi-retired sled dogs. She was in training this year but not up to running race distances. I'm hoping to keep her in some short training runs, I'm also going to try to skijour her (the first attempt was not so successful, lol) and probably do some bikejouring. She's been staying in the house at night in a crate, loose in the house when we are home and outside during the day when we are at work. She also will be occasionally staying at her old kennel on a few race weekends.

Up until this point she was on Caribou Creek Gold (something she was on all her life since she originally came out of the Gilbertson's kennel). I switched her over to Nutrasource Performance, in part because that is all I could get locally and also because our Golden Retriever does well on regular Nutrisource (she's not nearly as active, especially in the winter). The feed store also lets me combine the different formula's on one kennel card of buy 12 bags get one free.

Her poop seems decent, her coat is still shiny but she's only been on the Nutrsource for a couple of weeks (and went back to Gold last weekend, her poop did get a little runny going back and forth between dog foods).

Caribou Creek Gold is 37/25
They have a Silver that is 34/24
The Nutrisource is 30/20.

I don't have a price for Silver, but Gold is a little more expensive than Performance...although we probably end up feeding a bigger ration of Performance than if we were on Gold or Silver.

I'm thinking about switching to Caribou Creek but Silver instead of the Gold- a little more fat than the Nutrisource for those days shes outside and less digestive distress going back and forth between the old kennel and here, but would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Jeff

Edited by - balzakjeff on 01/15/2015 11:43:56 AM

Razor

Canada
807 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  1:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Razor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are on a food that is 36/28 and a 32/20 which we combine for our race team. For the totally retired dogs we keep them on the 32/20, but they need very little in comparison to the race team. I always prefer to keep any dog on real high quality food, and just drop the amount to what is needed for the activity of the dog. Your plan of switching to silver, and maybe keeping the nutri source 30/20 as well for mixing may be an idea. You will find that in the summer months, their intake will be cut in half.

Razor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page